94 driving licences removed over test translation fraud

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "94 driving licences removed over test translation fraud".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Margareth Santos
Margareth Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Wow! I'm (sadly) amazed :/ Aug 8, 2013

I'm glad she was caught. These people give us (in general) a bad reputation. But if it's due to these attempts that, bureaucratically, these situations are more and more strict, then I'm all for it. I criticize both actors here: the interpreter who is willing to bend the law and the client for paying and encouraging this type of action (and even getting other clients for her, too - who knows?).

I, myself, have also translated driving tests for English-speaking clients here in Portugal
... See more
I'm glad she was caught. These people give us (in general) a bad reputation. But if it's due to these attempts that, bureaucratically, these situations are more and more strict, then I'm all for it. I criticize both actors here: the interpreter who is willing to bend the law and the client for paying and encouraging this type of action (and even getting other clients for her, too - who knows?).

I, myself, have also translated driving tests for English-speaking clients here in Portugal. Here they have to be translated, not interpreted.
We never com into touch/talk/see our client in ANY way.
The test is sent from Lisbon by private messenger and the translator is given the test to translate. We have 1 hour to do so and it's all hand-written. Then the translator leaves and the test is immediately handed to the client who is waiting in another room.
It's all quite organized and straightforward here in Portugal.

Thanks so much for letting us know!

Take care!

Maggie Santos
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:17
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
"interpreter admitted selling candidates the answers to a written test"? Aug 9, 2013

so instead of hiring a "translator" to "translate" in court cases, they're now hiring "interpreters" to "interpret" written tests?

I wish that UK journalists would learn the difference between a translator and an interpreter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

94 driving licences removed over test translation fraud

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »