Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Recommend me some books about pragmatic theories of translation?
Thread poster: translstudent
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation theory tries to explain us Feb 27, 2016

neilmac wrote:
What a rubbish, third-rate useless duffer of a translator I must be, with such galloping ignorance of the rudimentaries. Heigh-ho.

I can only say that, the more I learn about translation theory, the more I think it is a very healthy and necessary work indeed. We do not think about it often, being as we are immersed in the daily battle with our texts and deadlines, but creating abstractions about what happens in the process of translation is really interesting and much needed, if we are to explain the magic of translation.

Translation theory is for those who do not believe in magic and want to explain it!

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
OK Feb 28, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

neilmac wrote:
What a rubbish, third-rate useless duffer of a translator I must be, with such galloping ignorance of the rudimentaries. Heigh-ho.

Translation theory is for those who do not believe in magic and want to explain it!

I'm definitely a staunch member of Neilmac's club.

Thanks Tomás for explaining why. I much prefer magic to remain magical. Never understood how come the wheels of my bike go faster than my pedals. Doesn't stop me from using my bike for any journey under 15km. And the cute techie who sorts out my computer problems never ceases to amaze me.

I attended a theory class when doing my masters, via a fast-track system since I already had fifteen years' experience. Like, the university admitted that the translations I submitted to prove my experience were excellent, but they couldn't just hand a certificate over, that would be "cheapening" the diploma. So I had to do this theory course. Stands to reason, after all you don't learn the theory when you're learning on the job. Most of the issues examined were problems that I had already had to grapple with working in various positions at an agency, and I had simply applied common sense to try to please the customer without alienating the translator or losing money. I remember waking up momentarily during the class once to hear a student saying, "so basically sir, what I'm understanding from the insights you're sharing is that it's best to only translate texts written by authors you know really well". I came to the conclusion that theory is simply a matter of dressing translator common sense up in very long words.

(The girl who asked that question got a much better mark than me, I expect she got credit for class participation and remaining awake)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I disagree Feb 28, 2016

But have you read "After Babel" by George Steiner? I don't know whether it's translation theory or not, but it's certainly pragmatic and is the most beautiful book about translation that I've ever read.

https://ia800506.us.archive.org/13/items/SteinerGeorge_201504/Steiner,%20George%20-%20After%20Babel%20(Oxford,%201975).pdf

And what about Walter Benjamin's essay "The task of the translator" (itself translated by Harry Zohn)?

http://www.totuusradio.fi/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Benjamin-The-Task-of-the-Translator.pdf

I suppose it all depends on whether you like thinking about what you're doing, rather than just doing it.

Question 1: what is language? You can carry on from there by yourself.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 10:38 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Tomás Feb 28, 2016

neilmac wrote:

I can only say that, the more I learn about translation theory, the more I think it is a very healthy and necessary work indeed. We do not think about it often, being as we are immersed in the daily battle with our texts and deadlines, but creating abstractions about what happens in the process of translation is really interesting and much needed, if we are to explain the magic of translation.

I agree with Tomás although in some quarters I know analysis is frowned on. There is a risk that people might connect one thing with another. For God's sake, they might *think* - and that would risk bringing down the whole edifice! So let's make fun of intellectuals; let's make the very word "intellectual" a dirty word; let's all take refuge in our own ignorance and not ask any questions.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 10:47 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
yes but Feb 28, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I agree with Tomás although in some quarters I know analysis is frowned on. There is a risk that people might connect one thing with another. For God's sake, they might *think* - and that would risk bringing down the whole edifice! So let's make fun of intellectuals; let's make the very word "intellectual" a dirty word; let's all take refuge in our own ignorance and not ask any questions.

[Edited at 2016-02-28 10:47 GMT]

I have a brilliant system for thinking about what I do and making myself useful at the same time: mentoring. Nothing like having a bright and eager student querying what you do and why you do it for shaking up a neat and tidy routine and possibly getting rid of cobwebs and introducing new ways of addressing a problem. And they get to benefit from your experience too. No need whatsoever to use pompous long words.

If I were to take my ruthless editing stance to the translation theory book I had to read (a stance that boils down to two maxims: "if in doubt leave it out" and "cut the crap"), I doubt more than three pages' worth would be left by the end, although I'd probably put a post-it to say "how about including a couple of practical examples for each point? If you could also make sure that some examples raise a laugh it might improve readability to the point that I'd feel like turning a page or two"

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend me some books about pragmatic theories of translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »