Systran and Daimler-Chrysler
Téma indítója: williamson (X)
Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentína
Local time: 12:55
angol - spanyol
Again, who knows? Jul 29, 2002

Williamson, the article I recommended indeed points out that the makers of ST had scientific knowledge and that some of the ideas put forward in the show are not as fanciful as they seem to be.

I think indeed that it would be a sign of hubris on our part to dismiss MT just like that. There are enough examples in history of skills that were once valued but are not needed anymore. You are also right about how fast technology has evolved in the last years. But I do think that
... See more
Williamson, the article I recommended indeed points out that the makers of ST had scientific knowledge and that some of the ideas put forward in the show are not as fanciful as they seem to be.

I think indeed that it would be a sign of hubris on our part to dismiss MT just like that. There are enough examples in history of skills that were once valued but are not needed anymore. You are also right about how fast technology has evolved in the last years. But I do think that is a lot easier to devise a faster or more capable computer or a better graphics software than to develop a machine that can handle perfectly something as labile as language. Just compare the rate of improvement undergone by, say, computer processors and by MT. I was first introduced to MT about ten years ago, and ten years later it still delivers at best \"gist\" translations. If that is just what you need (and in many cases this may be the case), then fine. Otherwise it is not fine.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-29 15:46 ]
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 17:55
holland - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Systran: A practical example Jul 30, 2002

Original text: Certifico : Que la presente fotocopía está tomada de la Sección primera del Libro .... Folio de este Registro Civil y debidamente cumplimentado

Se expide la misma de conformidad con lo autorizado por el artículo 26 del Reglamento del Registro Civil

----------

Systran: without any modification.

Je certifie : Que la présente photocopie est prise de la Section première du Livre... Feuillet... de ce Registre Civil et dûment c
... See more
Original text: Certifico : Que la presente fotocopía está tomada de la Sección primera del Libro .... Folio de este Registro Civil y debidamente cumplimentado

Se expide la misma de conformidad con lo autorizado por el artículo 26 del Reglamento del Registro Civil

----------

Systran: without any modification.

Je certifie : Que la présente photocopie est prise de la Section première du Livre... Feuillet... de ce Registre Civil et dûment complimenté on envoie cette dernière conformément à ce qui est autorisé par l\'article 26 du règlement du Registre Civil

Up to the pros to judge about the translation.
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 16:55
angol - német
+ ...
no competition for humans Jul 31, 2002

The problem is that machines are not creative and don\'t have a sense of humour.

I am convinced that manuals and the like will soon be entirely translated by machines. But that\'s about it and there is nothing wrong with machines taking over the boring jobs. I tried sentences of a sexual nature on Systran, very naughty, I know, but good fun. Unfortunately I can\'t quote them here.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentína
Local time: 12:55
angol - spanyol
Boring jobs Jul 31, 2002

I am not specialized in legal French, so I am probably not qualified to judge the text provided, but it seems quite OK.

But... this a pretty formulaic original. True, a lot of legal texts are formulaic. Take any contract and you\'ll see that a lot of the text is formulas and standard clauses. But there will also be a lot of text that needs interpreting in order to be translated correctly. Some sentences even have to be turned around or rephrased completely to make sen
... See more
I am not specialized in legal French, so I am probably not qualified to judge the text provided, but it seems quite OK.

But... this a pretty formulaic original. True, a lot of legal texts are formulaic. Take any contract and you\'ll see that a lot of the text is formulas and standard clauses. But there will also be a lot of text that needs interpreting in order to be translated correctly. Some sentences even have to be turned around or rephrased completely to make sense in Spanish. Show me a machine that can do that, and I\'ll start to worry.

But I think Olaf is right. Most of the formulaic text, like technical manuals, will most probably end up being done by machines. So we\'ve better start specializing in the kind of thing that needs brains, or \"a human look and feel\" as you may say in Corporatese. Which, BTW, it is exactly the kind of thing I\'ve increasingly been doing lately.
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Systran and Daimler-Chrysler

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »