Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2007

On Friday I closed down my laptop normally. Now when I switch it on it starts normal booting of Win XP, but when it should show the screen for signing up it shows only a dark-blue screen. Every time. I wonder if I can do anything but take it to the service? There are important files I cannot excess now.
Regards
Heinrich

Satu Ilva
Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Safe mode? Aug 8, 2007

Try booting into safe mode. To do that, press F8 after turning the laptop on, before Windows starts to load. You should get a menu with a few options. There's safe mode with or without network. At the very least you should be able to access your files and copy them off, but you can also go over your hardware devices to see if any of them is reporting an error or see if anything else is coming up with a problem. Maybe do a scandisk while you're there to see if the hard drive is ok.

... See more
Try booting into safe mode. To do that, press F8 after turning the laptop on, before Windows starts to load. You should get a menu with a few options. There's safe mode with or without network. At the very least you should be able to access your files and copy them off, but you can also go over your hardware devices to see if any of them is reporting an error or see if anything else is coming up with a problem. Maybe do a scandisk while you're there to see if the hard drive is ok.

What you should ask yourself is did you do anything last time you had the computer on - install any new software or drivers, plug in a new device, anything that might have changed the configuration in some way?

If you can't even boot into safe mode then it's probably time for service.
Collapse

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:53
English to Punjabi
+ ...
You have got plenty of options Aug 8, 2007

You can try any of these options:

1. Start the windows in safe mode. You can do this by Pressing F8 when you start your laptop. Chances are pretty good that your machine will boot in safe mode. If it does so, you can access your important files and make back up copies. After this is over, try System Restore (which is under System Tools) to set back your machine to a previous date when it was running flawlessly. If it works, your problem will be solved.

2. If the above m
... See more
You can try any of these options:

1. Start the windows in safe mode. You can do this by Pressing F8 when you start your laptop. Chances are pretty good that your machine will boot in safe mode. If it does so, you can access your important files and make back up copies. After this is over, try System Restore (which is under System Tools) to set back your machine to a previous date when it was running flawlessly. If it works, your problem will be solved.

2. If the above method doesnt work, change your boot options and set your CD Rom drive as first boot device and put your Windows Cd inside it; now restart the machine.

This time your machine will boot up using Windows CD and it will recognise your previous windows installation. Follow the instruction you see to repair the previous installation.
Collapse

Karen Picolin
Karen Picolin  Identity Verified
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Memory or internal power supply Aug 8, 2007

This could be a memory problem or the PC´s internal power supply/cooler that is presenting problems.

Normally the Blue screen gives an error:
EX: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS_NOT EQUAL or something of the sort.

Read waht it says in the screen, it might lead you to the error.

Hope that helps

[Edited at 2007-08-08 10:15]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far! Aug 8, 2007

I tried the system disk (I got only a licence) but I feared I might make things worse. Took the laptop to the service, where they copied my data (this year's files) onto external disc. Tomorrow I should get the machine back.
There was no text, only nice dark blue.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Screen when Booting XP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »