Dashes show as question marks in WF Classic (solved)
Tópico cartaz: apilampi (X)
apilampi (X)
apilampi (X)
Finlândia
Apr 19, 2016

Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea why my endashes (‒) are replaced by question marks in my TM? I recently updated to the latest version of Wordfast Classic and have only now noticed this issue. I could swear they were just fine until the update, but don't use endashes that often, so it's hard to say for sure. I did do some merging and re-saving with my TM some months ago so I may have saved it with the wrong encoding. It should now be UTF-8 but new entries with dashes still show as
... See more
Hi all,

Does anyone have an idea why my endashes (‒) are replaced by question marks in my TM? I recently updated to the latest version of Wordfast Classic and have only now noticed this issue. I could swear they were just fine until the update, but don't use endashes that often, so it's hard to say for sure. I did do some merging and re-saving with my TM some months ago so I may have saved it with the wrong encoding. It should now be UTF-8 but new entries with dashes still show as ?.

Is there any related PB setting that would fix this, or should I choose another encoding for the TM file?

I use Word 2010 on Windows 8.1.

//EDIT// Finally got it working after all. Re-saved the TM in Unicode and temporarily switched on the option "When re-using and existing TU, update it if attributes are different". This got rid of the persistent question marks in the problematic segment. I'm leaving my question here in case someone else runs into the same problem

[Edited at 2016-04-20 06:38 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
Membro (2006)
inglês para russo
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
UTF-8/UTF-16 Apr 20, 2016

apilampi wrote:
It should now be UTF-8 but new entries with dashes still show as ?.

WFC does not use UTF-8 for its translation memories. It can accept a TM file in UTF-8 with a BOM, but will immediately re-write it in UTF-16LE (this is my experience, but the behavior might have changed in very recent builds). Anyway, all characters will be preserved in both cases. Thus, always use Unicode to be on the safe side!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dashes show as question marks in WF Classic (solved)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »