When post editing, changing the first instance doesn't change follow-on instances
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 21, 2023

I have reluctantly started taking post-edit projects where documents are already pre-translated by machine and my job is to check them.
A problem I have is: when a segment is repeated, if I make a change to the first instance, it doesn't automatically update all the other instances. This means I have to remember each one and then change any following instances manually (and, of course, exactly).
Does anyone know if there is a setting in Wordfast that I can change this, please?
... See more
I have reluctantly started taking post-edit projects where documents are already pre-translated by machine and my job is to check them.
A problem I have is: when a segment is repeated, if I make a change to the first instance, it doesn't automatically update all the other instances. This means I have to remember each one and then change any following instances manually (and, of course, exactly).
Does anyone know if there is a setting in Wordfast that I can change this, please?
Many thanks
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:54
Member (2006)
French to English
Check these preferences Dec 21, 2023

Hello,

Have you turned on all the auto-propagation settings available under Preferences > Auto-Propagation?

Best,

John

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Screenshot Dec 21, 2023

Here is a screenshot of the screen that John is referring to:

auto prop

To get to that screen, in WFP, on the left-hand side, click the icon that looks like the Frogger game.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, all auto propagation options are switched on Dec 22, 2023

John Di Rico wrote:

Have you turned on all the auto-propagation settings available under Preferences > Auto-Propagation?

Hi John, thanks (and also to Samuel Murray for his screenshot).

Yes, I already checked that and everything is switched on, including "Committed segments".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does Dec 22, 2023

I'm no expert in WFP, but does WFP require the translator to press a shortcut key to "confirm" the translation before moving to the next segment? My thinking being that perhaps WFP doesn't propagate the segments because they are not being confirmed. John? What should the translator press in order to make WFP autopropagate?

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Alt+down Dec 22, 2023

Hi Samuel,
Normally, you need to use a shortcut key alt plus down arrow.
This video explains, chapter starting at 17:00:
https://youtu.be/Hg5Hp1asFXk?si=OBli1E4mdJa1sErZ
If you use the shortcut key control plus down arrow, you navigate without committing and auto-propagating segments. If you’re using the mouse to move between segments, you should watch the entire
... See more
Hi Samuel,
Normally, you need to use a shortcut key alt plus down arrow.
This video explains, chapter starting at 17:00:
https://youtu.be/Hg5Hp1asFXk?si=OBli1E4mdJa1sErZ
If you use the shortcut key control plus down arrow, you navigate without committing and auto-propagating segments. If you’re using the mouse to move between segments, you should watch the entire video.
Best,
John
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
One other thing Dec 22, 2023

One other thing, I forgot to mention: are you absolutely positive that segments are identical? Spacing, punctuation, or tags could make a small but substantial difference for auto-propagation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When post editing, changing the first instance doesn't change follow-on instances

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »