Neverending Problems With XTM Connection and Other Issues
Thread poster: Xaenor
Dec 9, 2022

Sometimes I face the misfortune of reviewing large projects in XTM. Several thousand segments, most of them repetitions that still need to be checked in case a TM substitution was erroneous somewhere. So there I go, scrolling through with Alt+Down in a large document - a simple method that works perfectly fine with MemSource, Trados, MemoQ or any number of smaller proprietary tools that I used in the past.

But not XTM - never XTM!.. Every 7-8 segments, the same message pops up, the
... See more
Sometimes I face the misfortune of reviewing large projects in XTM. Several thousand segments, most of them repetitions that still need to be checked in case a TM substitution was erroneous somewhere. So there I go, scrolling through with Alt+Down in a large document - a simple method that works perfectly fine with MemSource, Trados, MemoQ or any number of smaller proprietary tools that I used in the past.

But not XTM - never XTM!.. Every 7-8 segments, the same message pops up, the dreaded "There appears to be trouble with the connection between your browser and the server."

Now, even if this were true - even if I did have a spotty Internet connection - it would be quite alright to only warn me once. However, every other tool, stream, web-site, ping and tracer to any domain show that my connection is perfectly fine. I actually had to switch ISPs at some point in the past and used a number of different PCs and a laptop for a good measure - but nothing could conquer the stubborn XTM in its desire to remind me that something was wrong.

This issue adds to the pile of other unrefined and undercooked "features" that XTM suffers from. For instance, when I switch to a new segment, is there a reason why my cursor is always placed at the very end instead of the place where I actually clicked? Sometimes it gets ridiculous - I click a word in a new segment that I want to edit, the system waits for a second or so, making me think that the cursor will remain in place - and only THEN, after I start typing, it decides to shift me to the end of the line. Why?!

Why am I not allowed to mass-select and approve multiple segments at a time? Why is the main window limited to show only 300 segments and not more? Why can't I insert a term translation by a simple left-click and instead have to either use a three-key combo or right-click the term in the suggestions window and only then choose an option to insert it? Why, when searching concordance, does it default to a Target view instead of the source? Concordance primarily exists to look up past translations, does it not? At least that's how I use it 99% of the time, but there is no option in XTM to customize this behaviour.

XTM is, without a doubt, the worst system I have ever worked with. I wish customers avoided it. I would certainly never use it of my own volition. I highly doubt that anyone on the XTM development team actually tried to translate or review large projects as part of testing. I feel nothing but frustration at XTM and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Philippe Noth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Miranda Drew
Harmjan Heeling

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:30
Member (2008)
English to French
So much time wasted.. Dec 9, 2022

"Why, when searching concordance, does it default to a Target view instead of the source? "

This kills me every time - I can count on one hand the number of times I've worked in XTM over the last couple of years and it's still too many!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Miranda Drew
Harmjan Heeling
Yaotl Altan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Dec 9, 2022

Xaenor wrote:
When I switch to a new segment, is there a reason why my cursor is always placed at the very end instead of the place where I actually clicked? Sometimes it gets ridiculous - I click a word in a new segment that I want to edit, the system waits for a second or so, making me think that the cursor will remain in place - and only THEN, after I start typing, it decides to shift me to the end of the line. Why?!

This also happens with fuzzy match propagation. I click an empty segment, start typing, and then XTM replaces my typed text with a fuzzy match. And... to make matters worse, if XTM is set to autoconfirm any segment that you leave, it often marks such an inserted fuzzy match as a confirmed translation.

[Edited at 2022-12-10 09:33 GMT]

Philippe Noth
Yaotl Altan

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
Yes, and also… Dec 10, 2022

Why do I have to open every file separately? I once had a project consisting of 150+ files!

And the QA is so useless that it forces me to do it in Studio or XBench. In the project mentioned above, it took me one full day to generate the exports for XBench alone!

Also, I documented – with a video capture – and reported a horrible bug in which replacing apostrophes in an open file results in a message "Operation complete", with only half of the replacements actually d
... See more
Why do I have to open every file separately? I once had a project consisting of 150+ files!

And the QA is so useless that it forces me to do it in Studio or XBench. In the project mentioned above, it took me one full day to generate the exports for XBench alone!

Also, I documented – with a video capture – and reported a horrible bug in which replacing apostrophes in an open file results in a message "Operation complete", with only half of the replacements actually done! Talk about reliability! I believe the bug is still there after 2 years. I will soon know since I have a task planned for later this month.☹️

There is only one assertion I disagree with: XTM being the worst of all. There is an even worse system than XTM, its name is Lingotek. Lingotek made me ditch an excellent client, XTM not yet.

[Edited at 2022-12-10 22:25 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
XLIFF Dec 11, 2022

Xaenor wrote:

Sometimes I face the misfortune of reviewing large projects in XTM.

Export to XLIFF is disabled?

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:30
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
System Maintenance Every Sunday Dec 13, 2022

Is it only me who gets annoyed with this weekly system maintenance?

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
This is why I won't use it anymore. Dec 13, 2022

One of my biggest clients switched to XTM a few years ago. I tried to use it for about a year, then I refused because of all of these problems and the complete unreliability. It literally halves my productivity. I set about increasing my number of clients and now I only do a few jobs (not in xtm) for that client here and there.

Dan Lucas
Darius Sciuka
Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.

Harmjan Heeling
Harmjan Heeling  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Dutch
+ ...
Upgrade your servers perhaps? Nov 30, 2023

Absolutely maddening... I have to wait minutes to finish a file. Then get the message that some segments probably aren't saved. We're talking about files with 1k to 2k words. I'm so happy most of the agencies I work with are using [random other tools] than XTM.

[Edited at 2023-11-30 13:06 GMT]

Larisa Zlatic, Ph.D.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Neverending Problems With XTM Connection and Other Issues

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »