How do you check cross-file consistency in XTM?
Thread poster: Réka Patik
Réka Patik
Réka Patik  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 10:29
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 2, 2023

Hi everyone,
I work quite a lot in XTM, and my projects often consist of multiple files to translate/post-edit. As far as I know, there's no way to open multiple files at once, so that I can filter all the files for a specific expression at the same time, for example. And as it often happens, the TM just won't show fast enough what I remember to have already completed in a previous file, neither does concordance search help in quite a few occassions.
So, here comes my question: what
... See more
Hi everyone,
I work quite a lot in XTM, and my projects often consist of multiple files to translate/post-edit. As far as I know, there's no way to open multiple files at once, so that I can filter all the files for a specific expression at the same time, for example. And as it often happens, the TM just won't show fast enough what I remember to have already completed in a previous file, neither does concordance search help in quite a few occassions.
So, here comes my question: what is the best way to check cross-file consistency in XTM?
My best solution so far: export the xliffs, and open them all at once in another CAT tool which enables such manouvre. So I can do the verification steps I find necessary, and enter the modifications in XTM, too. (Which is a bit time-consuming.)
What are your ways of working in this case?
Thank you for your thoughts!
Collapse

Laurence Fogarty
Laurence Fogarty  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, that is the solution. Aug 3, 2023

That is one of the main issues in XTM, and I always justify my decision not to use it by pointing out the impossibility of checking cross-file consistency. I export as xliff to my CAT and let the CAT do the check, it is otherwise impossible.

Réka Patik

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
worse tool ever Sep 9, 2023

I really have no clue why clients are insisting on using this tool. It is full of problems and issues. Random meaningless tags, no cross-propagation, etc.

Jin Kim

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do you check cross-file consistency in XTM?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »