Platinum Member
Thread poster: lisa lu
lisa lu
lisa lu
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 9, 2003

I\'m thinking of upgrading to platinum member of the site. I don\'t know if it really helps to get more clients and translation jobs. Anyboday can share oppinion? Thanks a lot.

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
English to Chinese
Why not try? May 11, 2003

I felt I got more inquiries after going Platinum. The other thing is Proz.com is a great workplace and it\'s worth paying for the service.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
True! May 11, 2003

ProZ.com services are well worth using.

ProZ.com site is well worth supporting.

No investment, no entertainment.

--- Betty

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You can make your money worth here. May 16, 2003

I like to add my 2 cents, too.

In the past year, I did get more job inquiries here. With my \"higher than normal\" quote, I have got translation jobs.

Most importantly, I can interact with other translators to discuss translation and other related matters at ProZ.com. The enthusiasm here is simply overwhelming. I noticed I have learned a lot. I definitely made my dollars worth. By the way, I am NOT a staff member of ProZ.com. I am just a volunteer.
... See more
I like to add my 2 cents, too.

In the past year, I did get more job inquiries here. With my \"higher than normal\" quote, I have got translation jobs.

Most importantly, I can interact with other translators to discuss translation and other related matters at ProZ.com. The enthusiasm here is simply overwhelming. I noticed I have learned a lot. I definitely made my dollars worth. By the way, I am NOT a staff member of ProZ.com. I am just a volunteer.

To keep such a wonderful site running and improving, it is the responsibility of all translators to do their share of support to the good work the ProZ.com has been doing. One of the helps, as I look at it, is to pay for the membership.

See you around!

Kevin
Collapse

Georgia Kuo
Georgia Kuo
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
RE: upgrading to a platinum member Jun 14, 2003

Dear Friends,

I've been thought about the same thing recently, as some of you guys might find out I'm new (a stranger)to this site. Anyway,I actually got jobs after couple weeks' time here.
Still, there's one problem,i.e. the Paypal system. What if I don't have any bank account outside of Taiwan? How am I supposed to apply for Paypal system with a Taiwan Account? Can I use my sister's German Account to apply for it? Maybe, Kevin or Li-chuan could give me some practical sugges
... See more
Dear Friends,

I've been thought about the same thing recently, as some of you guys might find out I'm new (a stranger)to this site. Anyway,I actually got jobs after couple weeks' time here.
Still, there's one problem,i.e. the Paypal system. What if I don't have any bank account outside of Taiwan? How am I supposed to apply for Paypal system with a Taiwan Account? Can I use my sister's German Account to apply for it? Maybe, Kevin or Li-chuan could give me some practical suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
By the way, Kevin, I want to thank you for your "dedication" here. I can see that you are a wonderful friend to all of us through this short period of time. Keep on staying with us, and don't you ever feel Burnout just because of some unfriendly occurrence, you know... it happens. Be happy./Georgia
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congratulations to your first message at the Forum! Jun 14, 2003

Georgiailg wrote:

Still, there's one problem,i.e. the Paypal system. What if I don't have any bank account outside of Taiwan? How am I supposed to apply for Paypal system with a Taiwan Account? Can I use my sister's German Account to apply for it? Maybe, Kevin or Li-chuan could give me some practical suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Georgia,

Congratulations to your first message at the Forum!

Like a breeze from the ocean, and the light scent of orchid, your great remark and comment made all my time and effort here worth while. ProZ.com is definitely a place where translators can learn from each other. The wonderful part of this Forum is that all the remarks are like footprints behind us, carrying the messages that can vividly depict each individual silently, and left for readers to interpret with each of their own value systems. If you want to make a mark in the translation circle, this is the place where you should start.

Your question about PayPal is in very good timing. I just found out last week that a translator in China also had problem to set up PayPal account. I will take this issue as a research project and get back to both of you as soon as I have an answer. Promise.

Stay in touch!

Kevin

Georgia Kuo
Georgia Kuo
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Breeze? No, no, no,No,~~I'm the Storm, the Hurricane, the Twister!! Jun 15, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

Georgia,

Congratulations to your first message at the Forum!

Like a breeze from the ocean, and the light scent of orchid, your great remark and comment made all my time and effort here worth while. ProZ.com is definitely a place where translators can learn from each other. The wonderful part of this Forum is that all the remarks are like footprints behind us, carrying the messages that can vividly depict each individual silently, and left for readers to interpret with each of their own value systems. If you want to make a mark in the translation circle, this is the place where you should start.

Your question about PayPal is in very good timing. I just found out last week that a translator in China also had problem to set up PayPal account. I will take this issue as a research project and get back to both of you as soon as I have an answer. Promise.

Stay in touch!

Kevin

Dear Kevin,
Oh...You are so sweet.I think I would love to visit this forum from time to time. It would be so good to stay awhile with you and the other friends here.
As for the Paypal problem,I knew I can count on you. I'll wait for your further information.
SeeYa and,
Have a nece weekend.
/Georgia

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Georgia, please try these steps to sign up your PayPal personal account.. Jun 16, 2003

Georgiailg wrote:

How am I supposed to apply for Paypal system with a Taiwan Account? Can I use my sister's German Account to apply for it? Maybe, Kevin or Li-chuan could give me some practical suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Georgia,

I just did a research on PayPal account setup at PayPal's website. To answer your question, yes, you can apply in Taiwan. Yes, you can use you own bank account in Taiwan.

There are two parts in this account setup procedure.

The first part is to setup an account for yourself at PayPal. Please following these steps:

1. Go to the "welcome" page of the PayPal's website: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_home

2. In the Welcome page, at the center area (above the sentence "Sign up for your FREE PayPal Account"), there is a sentence "Over 25 million members worldwide!" Click on "worldwide."

3. Then you come to the page named "Non-US Account." Click on "Open a Non-US Account" at the lower bottom of the screen.

4. Now you are in the page named "Non-US Personal Account Sigh Up". In the drop down menu of "Country", make a selection. Then click on "Continue."

5.Now you entered next page with all the detailed fields to fill up. Fill all the fields with accurate information. Be sure to designate an email address which will be used for your PayPal payment translation. At the end, click on "Sign up" button.

By now, you have completed the procedures to sign up your personal account with PayPal. You should received two emails from PayPal to confirm such an account. This means that you can now give your designated email address to your client, and your client can make payment to you with this email address (if your client also has a PayPal account) .

When a payment is made to you, PayPal will email you and inform you that a payment is waiting for you to claim. If you choose to "Withdraw", PayPal will transfer the payment to your bank account. This brings up the second part of the setting up process, that is to set up your bank account with PayPal and get "Verified".

The procedure is very simple. Just follow the instruction in the PayPal website. Submit your bank account number. In a 2-3 days, PayPal will make two deposits into your bank account. You need to find out the exact amount of these two deposits from your bank, then come back to this same page and fill in these two figures. After your bank account is verified by PayPal, it will transfer the payment it received to your bank account.

Well, now you have it. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Good luck!

Kevin

Georgia Kuo
Georgia Kuo
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for your help, Kevin. Jun 16, 2003

Dear Kevin,

First of all,thanks for your time and information. You are indeed a God sent volunteer.

My problem is, I won't be able to withdraw money directly from my Paypal account (i.e.,if I have one) unless I want to transfer the same amount of money to USA due to there's one limitation to some countries like Taiwan,China and some asian countries...,etc. I don't know much about bank system and had never heard about this limitation before, but I think it's some kind of
... See more
Dear Kevin,

First of all,thanks for your time and information. You are indeed a God sent volunteer.

My problem is, I won't be able to withdraw money directly from my Paypal account (i.e.,if I have one) unless I want to transfer the same amount of money to USA due to there's one limitation to some countries like Taiwan,China and some asian countries...,etc. I don't know much about bank system and had never heard about this limitation before, but I think it's some kind of capital protection or...whatever.

Anyway,that's why I've been thinking about using my sister's German account but I don't know if it's okay to use other people's account for my own Paypal account.
Well, Thanks anyway, I'll check it with my local bank and see if there's any option for me.
By the way, do you think Paypal account actually help your business here? If it's not so important, maybe I should just give it up for the time being, you know, I could just upgrade to a platinum member without a Paypal account.

Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Georgia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Platinum Member

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »