It's been fun --- now off to Japan
Thread poster: liberation
liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Jun 2, 2003

I want to thank everyone who has helped me out at one time or another when I posted questions on Kudoz, as well as those who offered creative comments about my translation of "Protein Girl" here in this forum.

Proz.com has given me a new way of thinking about translation as a business, and convinced me that working within a group is quite often the way to go.

It has helped me to feel less isolated, too. I had some tough times early in 2002 when I was robbed, badly beat
... See more
I want to thank everyone who has helped me out at one time or another when I posted questions on Kudoz, as well as those who offered creative comments about my translation of "Protein Girl" here in this forum.

Proz.com has given me a new way of thinking about translation as a business, and convinced me that working within a group is quite often the way to go.

It has helped me to feel less isolated, too. I had some tough times early in 2002 when I was robbed, badly beaten, and my right hand slashed with a knife here in Shenzhen, the special economic zone just north of Hong Kong. For a time it looked like I would never be able to use my hand to type again -- a horrifying prospect for a writer/translator. When I did attempt further translation work in 2-3Q 2002, I really did receive a lot of valuable input from many members of the Chinese-English community of translators here.

I expect to leave for Japan end June, and for several months it is likely I will be "out of touch" as I struggle to get a foothold in Tokyo. I hope to learn Japanese well enough to study the literature there, a perhaps unrealistic goal given that I am already 48.

Eventually, I am confident that I will get my computer wired in Tokyo and find a quiet corner where I can again engage in Chinese-to-English translation. When that is the case, I will happily rejoin this forum.

Again, many thanks.

Bruce Humes
Collapse

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
We'll miss you Jun 3, 2003

Do join us when you are in Japan. I believe you'll be successful in Japan.

Zhoudan

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
さようなら! 再会! Jun 3, 2003

现摘录徐志摩的小诗 “沙扬娜拉“ ,以赠别Bruce。祝您一路平安!

《沙扬娜拉》

作者:徐志摩

最是那一低头的温柔,
像一朵水莲花不胜凉风的娇羞,
道一声珍重,道一声珍重,
那一声珍重里有甜蜜的忧愁--- 沙扬娜拉!

さようなら、お元気で!

Betty

Bruce Humes wrote:

[Edited at 2003-06-03 13:14]

Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Chinese to English
+ ...
All the best, Bruce! Jun 3, 2003

Life is like that, and we always hang on and get out fine and well and triumphant!

Wishing you many successes and more!

Bill

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry to hear about your robbery Jun 3, 2003

And good expectations to you!

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are one of us. So don't be a stranger! Jun 3, 2003

Bruce,

That was a big decision! I can imagine it would take lots of courage and will power to finalize it. A strategic career move? A personal interest? Or both? I am so comfortable to be where I am, and I can’t think of what would motivate me to make a move like that. With your talent and skills, I am confident to say that you will be successful in Japan. If you can survive in China, you can survive anywhere!

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your part
... See more
Bruce,

That was a big decision! I can imagine it would take lots of courage and will power to finalize it. A strategic career move? A personal interest? Or both? I am so comfortable to be where I am, and I can’t think of what would motivate me to make a move like that. With your talent and skills, I am confident to say that you will be successful in Japan. If you can survive in China, you can survive anywhere!

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your participation in the Chinese Forum and KudoZ question services. You have demonstrated and set an example for us what a professional translator should be in carrying out the translator's ethics and pursuing the highest quality possible in translation. I am very impressed by your performance at ProZ.com. Your emails to me also bring me another level of understanding about you.

I was shocked to read in your message about the brutalities you suffered in Shenzhen. It sounds very much like an uncharted territory dominated by mobs and hooligans. I hope the judicial system there could bring the justice to you. Thank goodness, you have recovered from it and did not have any permanent damage. The emotional scare can only be healed by time and association with the good friends. I also hope you can understand that you can find bad guys everywhere, and not all the Chinese people are like that.

You are considered as one of us now, so don’t be a stranger. You are always welcomed here. Remember, you always can find us here no matter where you go. This is a platform across countries and borders.

Drop by when you can and great luck with your endeavors!

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-06-06 15:44]
Collapse

Kvasir
Kvasir
Canada
Local time: 04:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
good luck bruce! Jun 4, 2003

Hey Bruce!

it's been fun for the short time since i joined this site in late March 2003.

always a pleasure to help each other out on kudos questions, we all learn from each other.

Good luck in Japan!

-kvasir

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
" If you can survive in China, you can survive anywhere! " Jun 6, 2003

It is true as Kevin said :

" If you can survive in China, you can survive anywhere!"

Hope to hear from you soon.

Bon courage & bonne chance !

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shenzhen is actually a neat place... Jun 7, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

Bruce,

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your participation in the Chinese Forum and KudoZ question services. You have demonstrated and set an example for us what a professional translator should be in carrying out the translator's ethics and pursuing the highest quality possible in translation. I am very impressed by your performance at ProZ.com. Your emails to me also bring me another level of understanding about you.

I was shocked to read in your message about the brutalities you suffered in Shenzhen. It sounds very much like an uncharted territory dominated by mobs and hooligans. I hope the judicial system there could bring the justice to you. Thank goodness, you have recovered from it and did not have any permanent damage. The emotional scare can only be healed by time and association with the good friends. I also hope you can understand that you can find bad guys everywhere, and not all the Chinese people are like that.

You are considered as one of us now, so don’t be a stranger. You are always welcomed here. Remember, you always can find us here no matter where you go. This is a platform across countries and borders.

Drop by when you can and great luck with your endeavors!

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-06-06 15:44]

Many thanks, Kevin, and others who have posted such nice comments.

I do want to clarify three things:

1) Shenzhen does have a "security problem," since it is basically an "immigrant" city with a very large floating population. Pickpocketing is a way of life on the streets of Shenzhen, but is so professionally done that one rarely ends up fighting about it!

2) My experience of meeting with violence during a robbery is rare as far as I know. I was attacked very suddenly from behind and unfortunately -- I can remember only a few seconds of the encounter -- did put up quite a fight. Most people here say that is the reason I was knifed; Normally, robbers just move on with their booty without injuring anyone, and there are many stories of stolen ID cards being sent back by mail to their owners!

3) My decision to go to Japan has nothing to do with my injury. I have been keen to study Japanese literature for 20 years now. I feel very at home in Shenzhen and China in general, and look forward to visiting frequently and eventually moving back to write, translate and teach. Shenzhen in particular is a neat place, due to its lovely sub-tropical vegetation and weather, and the fact that the city -- unlike Shanghai, for instance -- is comprised almost entirely of Chinese from all over the country. This makes life here interesting, challenging and rewarding, providing you are an outgoing type willing to socialize.

Bruce

Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Chinese to English
+ ...
A sense of clarity I personally admire... Jun 7, 2003

True, sometimes one thief damages the image of a city; one incident destroys faith in an institution.

How many of us have the courage and intelligence to make judgements beyond their personal experiences?

Bruce's sense of clarity is exemplary.

Bill

Bruce Humes wrote:

Many thanks, Kevin, and others who have posted such nice comments.

I do want to clarify three things:

1) Shenzhen does have a "security problem," since it is basically an "immigrant" city with a very large floating population. Pickpocketing is a way of life on the streets of Shenzhen, but is so professionally done that one rarely ends up fighting about it!

2) My experience of meeting with violence during a robbery is rare as far as I know. I was attacked very suddenly from behind and unfortunately -- I can remember only a few seconds of the encounter -- did put up quite a fight. Most people here say that is the reason I was knifed; Normally, robbers just move on with their booty without injuring anyone, and there are many stories of stolen ID cards being sent back by mail to their owners!

3) My decision to go to Japan has nothing to do with my injury. I have been keen to study Japanese literature for 20 years now. I feel very at home in Shenzhen and China in general, and look forward to visiting frequently and eventually moving back to write, translate and teach. Shenzhen in particular is a neat place, due to its lovely sub-tropical vegetation and weather, and the fact that the city -- unlike Shanghai, for instance -- is comprised almost entirely of Chinese from all over the country. This makes life here interesting, challenging and rewarding, providing you are an outgoing type willing to socialize.

Bruce

Georgia Kuo
Georgia Kuo
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
This is a wonderful Farewell Party for Bruce Jun 14, 2003

Dear Bruce and all of my friends here,

Isn't this a Farewell Party for Bruce? I don't want to miss this even I'm still a stranger here.
I believe all of us would miss you very much, Bruce.
Still, I feel happy for you because you're still "YOUNG" enought to make this decision.
And I respect you for your comment after that horrible experience; Bruce, I have to say this, you are actually a chinese.
Go For It, and Enjoy it./Georgia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It's been fun --- now off to Japan

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »