Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is this a normal hiding behavior for a translator?
Thread poster: Kevin Yang
Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have to "re-post" it here! Jul 24, 2003

If the answerer always intentionally "hides her previous answer and re-posts a fresh one"after (she) saw/sees other translators' answers", that's not an appropriate behavior,which we discussed before. But the recent hidden answers which were made visible again and again and again by the moderator are completely irrelevant to this behaviour:
<
... See more
If the answerer always intentionally "hides her previous answer and re-posts a fresh one"after (she) saw/sees other translators' answers", that's not an appropriate behavior,which we discussed before. But the recent hidden answers which were made visible again and again and again by the moderator are completely irrelevant to this behaviour:

www.proz.com/kudoz/460905
www.proz.com/kudoz/460922
www.proz.com/kudoz/483483

From all these three KudoZ questions which were made visible many times recently, you can clearly see that the answerer did not get any points out of "hiding her answer "; Besides, the answerer did not repost anything after hiding her answers at the sight of others' good answers, as is evidently seen in the first two examples, where the answerer hid her answer only because she was dissatisfied with her own answer. In the third one, the answerer hid the first answer, and she did it because she found her own typo, not because she "saw other translators' answers, she hides her previous answer and re-posts a fresh one". The truth is that she posted her second/fresh answer ahead of any other answerer.

Strangely enough, these three answers were hidden by the answerer, but made visible many , many times by the moderator---and that's the issue we are focusing on!

PS. For some reason, the answer in the second example is now invisible. However, in June, when I was doing technical tests with ProZ.com technical support, it became visible twice. They saw this happen with their own eyes.Yes, I hid that unsatisfactory answer, but I really did not repost anything, that is for sure!
Besides, in the future, even if I repost a new one after I find my own answer awkward/wrong/unsatisfactory , what's wrong with doing that as long as I don't commit plagiarism by any means?!

copied from--www.proz.com/topic/12800

[Edited at 2003-07-24 09:13]
Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks again for your kindness and justice, Chance! Jul 24, 2003

[quote]chance wrote:

Hi Kevin,

我开始怀疑你“穷追不舍”的动机 ?! :)

不过,如果是在法国,这就不是玩笑喽,人们会真的这样认为的。法国人的浪漫想你略有所闻,应该说他们对人情有独到的见解。

如果我的玩笑你不喜欢,我随时可以向你道歉或HIDE以上所写,但条件是请你冷静考虑YONGMEI的建议。

也向你推荐“高山流水”,想必你知道该典故的来源 :http://www.hanaga.com/midi/gsls.mid

祝你心情愉快!

再加几句,我初到PROZ,就发现你办事认真负责,分析问题条条有理,热心助人,......但我不明白你为什么在BETTY的问题上“斤斤计较”?

尽管我说的话不中听,还是希望你能保持愉快心情

[Edited at 2003-07-23 12:10]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just like others, I would much appreciate Henry's input ! Jul 24, 2003

Zhoudan wrote:

I didn't see any inappropriateness in Betty's hiding behavior. I have never tried to use the hiding feature, but if there is such a choice, why shouldn't Betty use it? Is there any restrictions in the times of using this feature?

But I do not feel it right for Kevin to turn back Betty's hiding answers. Kevin seems confident that he has done the right thing, then I suggest we have a discussion about a moderator's privilege, or shall we ask Henry to explain that?

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Can you please clarify? Jul 24, 2003

Yongmei Liu, Mr. wrote:

打是亲,骂是爱。

Kidding aside, this is such a trivial matter. Would both of you please kindly end the affair without a verdict being rendered in the moral court?

Hi Yongmei,

I am unable to figure out what you implied, although I can read your kindness(Thanks , anyway!).Would you further clarify on that?

BTW, How come “ 咏梅”is a “Mr.”?

[Edited at 2003-07-24 12:01]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your attentions and opinions! Jul 25, 2003

To all the translators,

Thank you for all your attentions and opinions shared with me in this discussion and by emails, debating about the normal hiding behaviors. By seeing the record-making number of visitors to these two forum folders, it confirms that this is not a small matter, and deserved to be discussed.

The positive outcomes from this discussion can be summarized as the following:

1. Regarding to the normal use of HIDE feature, for the time being
... See more
To all the translators,

Thank you for all your attentions and opinions shared with me in this discussion and by emails, debating about the normal hiding behaviors. By seeing the record-making number of visitors to these two forum folders, it confirms that this is not a small matter, and deserved to be discussed.

The positive outcomes from this discussion can be summarized as the following:

1. Regarding to the normal use of HIDE feature, for the time being there is no any restrictions set by the management of ProZ.com. This is because ProZ.com assumes and trusts that all translators have the judgment to use it properly.

Therefore, Betty, the involved party who was revealed herself in the later part of this discussion, should not be considered as having violated any rules or regulations. I do want to take this opportunity and sincerely apologize to Betty for bringing this matter up as an issue for discussion in the Chinese Forum without discussing with her individually first. Please forgive me if there is any stress caused to you by this discussion and my other related decisions. By reading all the related emails and messages, I realized that I should respect the answerer's decision to hide, and a one-on-one discussion with Betty could bring a much better result, because this is not a behavior found in majority translators. I will definitely be more careful in handling such matters in future. However, I do want to let everyone know that, I still believe that excessive usage of HIDE feature does not bring any benefits to other translators and the glossary.

2. In the last couple days, I had discussed about it with Henry and other mods. We reached a consensus that clearer instructions should be specified and have all mods known about how and when the administrative features should be used.

As for my part, your voices and opinions in this discussion helped me to look at this matter from your perspectives. Your viewpoints are well heard and taken. I can promise I will closely follow the new guidelines and update the info about my responsibilities. I think this is another positive outcome came out of this discussion.

Thank you for all your participation! I felt your enthusiasm and appreciate your frankness in voicing your opinions. As you may aware, all of our intentions are to help ProZ.com and for the best of this translators’ website. In the process that ProZ.com makes all the effort to update and improve itself, we all are, especially me, learning each day by working with fellow translators and with all the new features made available. Let’s all learn to respect each other and be considerate!

Have a great summer!

Kevin Yang

[Edited at 2003-07-26 01:36]
Collapse

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Tons of thanks to you all!!! Jul 26, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

To all the translators,

1. Regarding to the normal use of HIDE feature, for the time being there is no any restrictions set by the management of ProZ.com. This is because ProZ.com assumes and trusts that all translators have the judgment to use it properly.

Therefore, Betty, the involved party who was revealed herself in the later part of this discussion, should not be considered as having violated any rules or regulations. I do want to take this opportunity and sincerely apologize to Betty for bringing this matter up as an issue for discussion in the Chinese Forum without discussing with her individually first. Please forgive me if there is any stress caused to you by this discussion and my other related decisions. By reading all the related emails and messages, I realized that I should respect the answerer's decision to hide, and a one-on-one discussion with Betty could bring a much better result, because this is not a behavior found in majority translators. I will definitely be more careful in handling such matters in future. However, I do want to let everyone know that, I still believe that excessive usage of HIDE feature does not bring any benefits to other translators and the glossary.

2. In the last couple days, I had discussed about it with Henry and other mods. We reached a consensus that clearer instructions should be specified and have all mods known about how and when the administrative features should be used.

Kevin Yang

[Edited at 2003-07-26 01:36]

Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincerest gratitude for every fellow translator's kind support and valuable input.

Secondly, I believe kevin's apology is sincere and I accept his apology; On the other hand , I hope to do better on my part in the future.

Thirdly, it is sincerely hoped that Henry will give more explicit instructions as to when and how all those administrative features should be used by moderators.

Thanks again to all my colleagues here and the respectable ProZ.com team!

Enjoy the beautiful weekend!

Kindest regards,

Betty

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a normal hiding behavior for a translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »