Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?
Thread poster: Christina B.
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:48
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No big issue May 11, 2015

JaneTranslates wrote:

Write "thank you"; write nothing at all; invent a more creative response. Your decision. But please don't ascribe unpleasant motives to those of us who choose to use the conventional response.

Well put.
Saludos Jane

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratitude May 12, 2015

As for me, I don't mind subjective opinions, different meanings, and various customs; yet I always feel a little restless when a professional knowingly misuses words, terms, and phrases--let alone I think it's really close to a 'plastic smile' attitude.

- Good morning!
- Oh, thank you!
- Er... What for?
- For saying 'good morning!', of course!
- Are you kidding?!
- Thank you for asking!
- Well, and how about thanking me for real then?
... See more
As for me, I don't mind subjective opinions, different meanings, and various customs; yet I always feel a little restless when a professional knowingly misuses words, terms, and phrases--let alone I think it's really close to a 'plastic smile' attitude.

- Good morning!
- Oh, thank you!
- Er... What for?
- For saying 'good morning!', of course!
- Are you kidding?!
- Thank you for asking!
- Well, and how about thanking me for real then?
- Sure! Thank you for your suggestion too!
- Thank-you, but I think you are wrong...
- A really big thank you for talking to me! Gosh! And even bigger thank you for answering!
- You are welcome, but...
- You are so right! Thanks! How nice of you!
- Eh, thank you...
- Thank you for thank you! I'm so pleased and thankfully grateful so much!
. . .

No offense, however I don't care about the answerer's response to my 'agree', unless it's something worthy, something more than an ability to see and read it as... an answerphone?

Thank you for you time)

[Edited at 2015-05-13 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am amazed..... May 12, 2015

..... that such a simple question gets so many answers/reactions. I was learned by my parents to always (as we say in Dutch) to 'speak with 2 words' (= Thank you a.o.). So, what is wrong with just being being polite? Who do you harm?

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Agrees are for the answers, not for the Answerers. May 14, 2015

If I (dis)agree with an Answerer's suggestion, it's to help the Asker. Not to become friends/enemies with the Answerer. The (dis)agree is for the suggestion, not for the person who posted it.

But different folks, different strokes.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Makes sense May 15, 2015

Cilian, I believe that answerer reply feature is (initially?) meant (mostly?) for 'Disagree' and 'Neutral' as reasoning and specification--to help Asker, not Answerers (who do earn reward points).

As Answerer, I don't care why someone agrees (although the grounds may differ), but I'd like to see a comment and learn why *exactly* they think my suggestion may be not appropriate, that's it.

Indeed, there's nothing really wrong to politely thank all supporters and replace t
... See more
Cilian, I believe that answerer reply feature is (initially?) meant (mostly?) for 'Disagree' and 'Neutral' as reasoning and specification--to help Asker, not Answerers (who do earn reward points).

As Answerer, I don't care why someone agrees (although the grounds may differ), but I'd like to see a comment and learn why *exactly* they think my suggestion may be not appropriate, that's it.

Indeed, there's nothing really wrong to politely thank all supporters and replace thank-you's with "I'm sorry" if the answer is not chosen 'the best', as well as there's pretty nothing wrong with politely saying hello to all on-line users... I just see no point doing it either.

Regards.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is this thread still going on? May 15, 2015

Maybe the crisis affected us more than we want to admit. If I look at this 'simple' question, and so many different opinions, I wonder where you find the time to answer it? (not enough work?)

The answer simply is 'YES', (as stated before) because that is the polite thing to do. Really, what else is there to say about it? (although a lot of you don't agree with me, apparently)

[Edited at 2015-05-15 21:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-05-15 21:01 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like it. May 16, 2015

JaneTranslates wrote:

It's the custom on this site to acknowledge that you've seen the response to your post--similar to "Liking" responses to a Facebook post.

I'm not offended if answerers don't thank me for a KudoZ agree, but I like it when they do, particularly if they add a comment to my comment, thus creating a friendly dialogue.

This is a professional site that I use primarily for help with my own translations, but I enjoy the social aspects of it as well.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. It's possible that, in some language pairs, thanking for agrees is not the norm as it is in the Spanish/English division.

And yes, I respond to disagrees as well, almost always with a comment and a thank-you.

That's why I proposed to create a Like button, just like Facebook, in order to accelerate and substitute crtain processes. We wouldn't write "Ditto" in the posts, we'd just press the button.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
perhaps, a bit out-fashioned May 18, 2015

I also fancy how social network designers cultivate subcultures of auto-clickers, auto-likers, and others, but I still believe no electronic custom is a substitute for real communication, no zillion of electronic 'friends' is a substitute for real friends, and no auto-reply is a substitute for real gratitude (for what it's worth).

It really has nothing to do with politeness, Roman customs, or something, but if we are to solve the 'issue', then the question should be like: Should Pro
... See more
I also fancy how social network designers cultivate subcultures of auto-clickers, auto-likers, and others, but I still believe no electronic custom is a substitute for real communication, no zillion of electronic 'friends' is a substitute for real friends, and no auto-reply is a substitute for real gratitude (for what it's worth).

It really has nothing to do with politeness, Roman customs, or something, but if we are to solve the 'issue', then the question should be like: Should ProZ insert auto 'thank-you' where appropriate*?
At least it would save ProZ translators/interpreters from such questions and give more spare time)

Should you really need *attention*, then why not consider more dedicated options and forums?

IMO
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The number of 'agree's can close a question Jun 21, 2015

I've just remembered that if at least two people agree with an answer, it means the question will be closed automatically after 72 hours.

'Thank you for taking the time to agree with me because we now know the question will be closed'.

I'm afraid I get quite annoyed when askers don't close their questions, whether or not they have awarded points.

[Edited at 2015-06-21 16:29 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you say "thank you" if you get a KudoZ-agree?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »