Thread poster: Nathalie Renevier
Nathalie Renevier
Nathalie Renevier
Local time: 20:42
English to French
+ ...
Nov 4, 2012

Hi everyone

I'm working on a quite big document. Everything was fine, but this morning it was impossible to join 2 or more segments anymore. I did not change the parameters. And I did not manage to find the reason of the problem.

Any ideas ?

MemoQ version : 6.0.58

Nath

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
Finnish to French
(V) in front of document name? Nov 4, 2012

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but just in case: is there a "(V)" in front of the document name in the tab? This would indicate either you are in a view, or you have filtered/sorted the segments in the document. By design, joining segments is not possible in any these situations, even if the segments you wish to join appear to have consecutive numbers.

What is the file format of the original source document?

Nathalie Renevier
Nathalie Renevier
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No (V) in front of document Nov 4, 2012

Hi Dominique,

Good question... Could have been one. But no (V) in front of the document name. I'was (I'm still) in the "normal" translating window.

The original format is Power point. But I often deal with PPT files at the moment, and never had the problem before. Above all, I'd like to understand how it happened. 5 minutes before, everything was OK and suddendly impossible to join the segments.

Nath

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Addition regarding views Nov 5, 2012

Hi,

it's probably not the issue in this case, but here's a small addition to Dominique's scenario anyway:

If you have created a view in which segments from the relevant file are included, you will not be able to join/split segments when you are working directly on the original document until you have deleted the view in question.

@Dominique: I work with views all the time, but I can't recall ever seeing "(V)" in front of the file name. Do you always get it
... See more
Hi,

it's probably not the issue in this case, but here's a small addition to Dominique's scenario anyway:

If you have created a view in which segments from the relevant file are included, you will not be able to join/split segments when you are working directly on the original document until you have deleted the view in question.

@Dominique: I work with views all the time, but I can't recall ever seeing "(V)" in front of the file name. Do you always get it? I'm using version 6.63.

BR/Johan
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
(V) only for sorted/filtered documents Nov 5, 2012

Johan Kjallman wrote:
@Dominique: I work with views all the time, but I can't recall ever seeing "(V)" in front of the file name. Do you always get it? I'm using version 6.63.

Sorry for the incorrect information: "real" views (created with the Create view command) appear as normal documents in the tab, once opened for translation. "(V)" only appears in the tab in front of a sorted/filtered "real" document.

Johan Kjallman
Johan Kjallman  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
There it is Nov 5, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Sorry for the incorrect information: "real" views (created with the Create view command) appear as normal documents in the tab, once opened for translation. "(V)" only appears in the tab in front of a sorted/filtered "real" document.

Ok, thanks for clarifying! I never noticed the "(V)" while sorting/filtering, but now that you mention it, it's alive & kicking!

/J

Vitor de Araújo
Vitor de Araújo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I had the same problem. Just remove the views. Nov 5, 2015

By accident (I mean, I don't remember exactly when) I created a view.

How to remove:

View > Project Home > Views > Remove (right-click them).

Hope it helps.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
worthy of note Nov 5, 2015

Not only views. Filtering and sorting also prevent segments from joining or splitting (so that user could not join a segment from page 21 with a segment from page 78).

[Edited at 2015-11-05 07:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't join 2 segments in MemoQ version : 6.0.58

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »