Thread poster: saad60
saad60
saad60
Iraq
Local time: 06:29
English to Arabic
Oct 25, 2015

Dear colleagues
I have downloaded a free trial of Memoq, and I am, in general, new in CAT tool experience. I read some comments about the risk of sudden loss of the translated text or sudden disturbance of text format during the act of translation. My question is whether there is any way to save the translation during work into a safe location as I often do during classical translation?
Finally, forgive me for my poor English language.
Thank you in advance.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No need! Oct 25, 2015

In the case of memoQ, what you translate is not really a document in memory which you have to save every now and then (as happens with other solutions like SDL Studio). Every time you go from one segment to the next, your changes are stored automatically. The risk of losing your work is negligible, even if you had a sudden power failure. Simply restart memoQ, open your proyect, and all your work is there.

(BTW: All the above is the reason why memoQ does not have a Save icon in the t
... See more
In the case of memoQ, what you translate is not really a document in memory which you have to save every now and then (as happens with other solutions like SDL Studio). Every time you go from one segment to the next, your changes are stored automatically. The risk of losing your work is negligible, even if you had a sudden power failure. Simply restart memoQ, open your proyect, and all your work is there.

(BTW: All the above is the reason why memoQ does not have a Save icon in the toolbar...)
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
Backing up the relevant .xliff files is wise. Oct 25, 2015

I am also new with MemoQ but so far I find it quite reliable.

However, several other problems may occur, including those due to general hardware problems, so I back up my work as I proceed, let's say, every few hours or at the end of every day.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

(BTW: All the above is the reason why memoQ does not have a Save icon in the toolbar...)

I was wondering this

saad60
saad60
Iraq
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 25, 2015

Thanks a lot

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
A perfect sence of humor Oct 25, 2015

In previous versions, they had a Save All button (though totally needless, in fact, for the said reason) just next to the 'Do not press this button' button emitting cuckoo's voice and the 'The Zen' button.
I guess it (the Save All button) was for those who needed time to get used to live without it

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
I have spent 2 hours to figure out where the save button is :D Oct 25, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:

I guess it (the Save All button) was for those who needed time to get used to live without it

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protection of translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »