clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:37
French to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2012

Hi everyone,

I've recently relocated to Spain (Valencia) and am trying to get into freelance translation. I have a Master's in Translation and a bit of experience, but not a lot. I'd love to do some voluntary work, especially for a local charity but anything at all would be great.

I've seen a few charity offices around Valencia and have gone in and given them my details, but does anyone have any other ideas about organisations I could approach to offer my services?

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Report on pro bono survey Nov 8, 2012

Hi Claire,

A couple of weeks ago I conducted a survey about pro bono work to see how translators draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable, what kind of franweworks permit translators to derive benefit from their volunteer work, etc. About 160 people replied, and the survey summary is now available on http://www.pirothattila.com/PB_Survey.pdf

Best,
Attila

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:37
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pro bono work Nov 8, 2012

Attila Piróth wrote:

Hi Claire,

A couple of weeks ago I conducted a survey about pro bono work to see how translators draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable, what kind of franweworks permit translators to derive benefit from their volunteer work, etc. About 160 people replied, and the survey summary is now available on http://www.pirothattila.com/PB_Survey.pdf

Best,
Attila

Thanks - interesting reading, Attila!

Are the Proz Solidarités team accepting any new translators or do you need to be very experienced to join?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None sure about local charities in Valencia Nov 8, 2012

... but the "big three" NGOs operating here are Caritas, the Red Cross and ONCE. The first supports the needy, the second sometimes needs ad hoc jobs done and the third works for the benefit of the handicapped. (All of them take on volunteers, not necessarily translators).

Mondo Agit
Mondo Agit
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
PerMondo Nov 12, 2012

Hi there,

Anybody interested in voluntary translation, try our initiative: www.mondo-lingua.org. We work for NGO's in Spain, Europe and the world.

Best wishes,

Sabrina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voluntary translation work in Spain

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »