computer starts normally but nothing appears my monitor.. HELP
מפרסם התגובה: hyeryders
hyeryders
hyeryders
אנגלית
Dec 8, 2004

computer starts normally but nothing appears my monitor. The Video Card fan is running. My CPU fan is running. The Fan built into the top of my Case is running. The H.D.D Light(its a red light on my case) turns on. The power light (its a green light on my case right under the red one.. the power one i suppose) doesnt turn on. There is no green light on my motherboard. My monitor is plugged in and is working (when i turn on my monitor its green light comes on but then goes to orange becuase no ac... See more
computer starts normally but nothing appears my monitor. The Video Card fan is running. My CPU fan is running. The Fan built into the top of my Case is running. The H.D.D Light(its a red light on my case) turns on. The power light (its a green light on my case right under the red one.. the power one i suppose) doesnt turn on. There is no green light on my motherboard. My monitor is plugged in and is working (when i turn on my monitor its green light comes on but then goes to orange becuase no action is being done). My mother board is a ECS PT800CE-A which supports Hyper Threading. My ram is pc400 3200 Dual channel corsair ram(512x2 sticks). I have an All-in-wonder 9800 radion. P4 3.2 ghz cpu with a 3.6 ghz fan. Maxtor 120 ATA Hard Drive.

everything is plugged in and when i hit the power it starts but nothing comes up onto my monitor screen.... any suggestions? I'd very much appreciate it.

Here's the update guys.

You guys are cool.

I haven't had time to play with my computer some more becuase i was pretty much working all day (work at Best Buy) after i got off school. When my computer starts there is no beep. I asked the Geek Squad at Best Buy and a whole lot of other friends and they suggested either my Mother board or Video card is bad. I'm thinking its my motherboard because i switched to a video card that works on my other computer but i still encountered the same problem. I doubt its my monitor because the monitor works on my other computer. Could my processor be burnt? would it be because of my ram? Hopefully not my CPU becuase the P4 3.2 is expensive. =[
I'm sure there is no virus becuase i have never gotten the computer up and running to where a screen shows for me to play with.

Things i will check out.
-Switching the Video card to a PCI slot (it should fit right?).
-switching my video card to my slower computer (to make sure its not my Vid Card).
-Looking in my motherboard manual to make sure everything is connected correctly (no beep right? one of my hardwares is defective? i hope not an expensive one).
-Buying a 520 watt Power Supply (this wont be for a while though.)
-Checking all power cables to make sure they are plugged in.
-Pressing CTRL and all the F buttons like Andrea Marco said.
-Switching the ram from slot to slot (again) and trying different ram.

Thanx everyone for taking your time to come help me out! I know you guys must be busy and I'm very thankful to have so many kind people comment and try to help out. you guys are the best! xD

Thanx
Keep you Updated again tomarrow.

[Edited at 2004-12-09 19:08]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
צרפת
Local time: 09:30
מגרמנית לאנגלית
+ ...
Check your cables Dec 8, 2004

You say that everything is plugged in, but have you checked that the cable between your PC and your monitor is sitting securely? If it has come loose or if the cable is faulty then that may be the cause of your problems.

HTH

Alison

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
פולין
חבר (2004)
מגרמנית לפולנית
+ ...
Just try another monitor Dec 8, 2004

Cheers
Andrzej

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
גרמניה
חבר (2003)
מפולנית לגרמנית
+ ...
Besides trying another hardware... Dec 8, 2004

Does your PC beep on turning it on?
If you don't hear any beep or do hear more beeps, than something with the configuration of your PC is not OK.

If you hear a single beep, then all components have passed a self test and seem to be OK.
In such case check all connections once again (even if the plug is plugged in, it may become loose, if it is not fixed with screews). If all connections seem to be all right, then try another monitor.
Before connecting or deconnectin
... See more
Does your PC beep on turning it on?
If you don't hear any beep or do hear more beeps, than something with the configuration of your PC is not OK.

If you hear a single beep, then all components have passed a self test and seem to be OK.
In such case check all connections once again (even if the plug is plugged in, it may become loose, if it is not fixed with screews). If all connections seem to be all right, then try another monitor.
Before connecting or deconnecting something make sure, that your PC is turned out, as otherwise you can cause a serious damage to your hardware.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
צרפת
חבר (2002)
מאנגלית לצרפתית
+ ...
Yes, try another monitor Dec 8, 2004

And try this one on another computer.
Check that the brightness is not on 0.. these things happen sometimes!

It makes me remember of the day when my b... late computer suddenly confused its screen and the cd-burner. That's what the shop told me afterwards

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
קנדה
Local time: 03:30
מאנגלית לגרמנית
+ ...
Hello Dec 8, 2004

I experienced something like that once and than I pressed Ctrl and one of the F buttons at the same time (sorry forgot which one just try each) and than it startet again.

Hope it works for you too.

Regards,
Andrea

NetLynx
NetLynx  Identity Verified
מאנגלית לדנית
+ ...
The battery, the cards, the RAMs ? Dec 8, 2004

I have seen a faulty battery causing the PC to act like this more than once. Release the battery and check that the voltage is around 3.0 Volts. And do check your BIOS after turning on the computer.
Then check that all inside cables are fixed in position, and all cards, including the graphics card, and the RAMs are in position. They may sometimes slip from their sockets.
Please tell us afterwards which error(s) you found.

Greetings from DK
NetLynx

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
קולומביה
Local time: 02:30
מאנגלית לספרדית
RAM Dec 8, 2004

Try removing and reinserting the RAM chips.

You may want to clean the contacts with a cloth and gently brush the slots.

Good luck!

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
פולין
מאנגלית לפולנית
+ ...
Graphics card may be dead Dec 9, 2004

I had a similar thing not so long ago. The computer started normally, no beeps or anything, the LCD screen wasn't dead for sure because it displayed its "Power saving mode" message, but the computer did not boot.

I took it to the store and they replaced the graphics card, because it was dead.

HTH

Piotr

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
צרפת
מספר שפות
+ ...
check that monitor pins are not broken Dec 9, 2004

I had something like this happen to me this past week. I tried plugging in other monitors but no luck, but they worked when plugged into my laptop.

I discovered that 1-2 pin on the cable had broken and were still inside the female plug in of the computer. Therefore, no other computer monitor would work either.

Jeff

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
גרמניה
מצ׳כית לגרמנית
+ ...
Did you check the time? Dec 9, 2004

NetLynx wrote:

I have seen a faulty battery causing the PC to act like this more than once.

Hi,

I had this problem with a Mac before and then was told that when the date and time are starting to be wrong (at first it's only a few seconds but it will go up to a few minutes and even the date will show strange behaviour) it's time to change the battery.

Good luck!

Charlotte

hyeryders
hyeryders
אנגלית
TOPIC STARTER
Yay, everyone has some pretty good ideas! Dec 9, 2004

You guys are cool.

I haven't had time to play with my computer some more becuase i was pretty much working all day (work at Best Buy) after i got off school. When my computer starts there is no beep. I asked the Geek Squad at Best Buy and a whole lot of other friends and they suggested either my Mother board or Video card is bad. I'm thinking its my motherboard because i switched to a video card that works on my other computer but i still encountered the same problem. I doubt its my
... See more
You guys are cool.

I haven't had time to play with my computer some more becuase i was pretty much working all day (work at Best Buy) after i got off school. When my computer starts there is no beep. I asked the Geek Squad at Best Buy and a whole lot of other friends and they suggested either my Mother board or Video card is bad. I'm thinking its my motherboard because i switched to a video card that works on my other computer but i still encountered the same problem. I doubt its my monitor because the monitor works on my other computer. Could my processor be burnt? would it be because of my ram? Hopefully not my CPU becuase the P4 3.2 is expensive. =[
I'm sure there is no virus becuase i have never gotten the computer up and running to where a screen shows for me to play with.

Things i will check out.
-Switching the Video card to a PCI slot (it should fit right?).
-switching my video card to my slower computer (to make sure its not my Vid Card).
-Looking in my motherboard manual to make sure everything is connected correctly (no beep right? one of my hardwares is defective? i hope not an expensive one).
-Buying a 520 watt Power Supply (this wont be for a while though.)
-Checking all power cables to make sure they are plugged in.
-Pressing CTRL and all the F buttons like Andrea Marco said.
-Switching the ram from slot to slot (again) and trying different ram.

Thanx everyone for taking your time to come help me out! I know you guys must be busy and I'm very thankful to have so many kind people comment and try to help out. you guys are the best! xD

Thanx
Keep you Updated again tomarrow.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

computer starts normally but nothing appears my monitor.. HELP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »