מפרסם התגובה: AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:34
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
Dec 13, 2004

Hello,

My screen has been flickering quite hectically for several days now. Like it does when a mobile phone next to it is about to ring - but constantly.

Does anyone know what's wrong, and what I can do to remedy this please?

Thanks!

Anne

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
שוודיה
מאנגלית לשוודית
+ ...
Flickering screen - remedy Dec 13, 2004

AnneM wrote:
My screen has been flickering quite hectically for several days now. Like it does when a mobile phone next to it is about to ring - but constantly.

Does anyone know what's wrong, and what I can do to remedy this please?

If it's a CRT, this is a typical sign that the monitor is about to die. If it's a few years old, staat planning to buy a new one. If it's less than a few years old, get in touch with the warranty department of the manufacturer.

In the mean time, try to set the screen updating frequency to a lower interval. Say 75 instead of 85 Hz, or try a lower resolution. If that helps, it's further proof that the monitor is about to die.

Sorry for being the bringer of bad news...

Jan

[Edited at 2005-04-22 13:43]

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
מגרמנית לאנגלית
+ ...
things to try Dec 13, 2004

I assume you have a CRT monitor (with a picture tube, like a television -- not a flat (LCD) screen).

CRT monitors are sensitive to magnetic and electromagnetic fields, so anything that generates such fields (loudspeakers, mobile or wireless phones, WLAN units, base stations for wireless mice and keyboards, etc.) should be kept well away from the monitor.
If you have anything like this close to the monitor, try moving it further away.

Also, try moving the monitor t
... See more
I assume you have a CRT monitor (with a picture tube, like a television -- not a flat (LCD) screen).

CRT monitors are sensitive to magnetic and electromagnetic fields, so anything that generates such fields (loudspeakers, mobile or wireless phones, WLAN units, base stations for wireless mice and keyboards, etc.) should be kept well away from the monitor.
If you have anything like this close to the monitor, try moving it further away.

Also, try moving the monitor to a different place.

Finally, your monitor may just be defective, or the video card in your computer may be defective. Try using your monitor with a different computer, to see whether the cause of the problem is in the monitor.

And I almost forgot: check the video cable to the monitor to make sure the connectors at both ends are securely fastened.

Another (remote) possibility is that your video card has been configured for a resolution you monitor does not support, or for a very low frame rate.

[Edited at 2004-12-13 12:21]
Collapse

AnneM (X)
AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 13, 2004

It is a CRT, yes, and just over 3 years old. It is in the same position as always, and I have put nothing new next to it, so maybe it is on its last legs, yes. Thank you for your suggestions and advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flickering Screen

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »