WIndows ME, Adobe reader, and download - Dell
מפרסם התגובה: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
מצרפתית לאנגלית
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

When I go to a site, and click on view or download a PDF, my dell computer image finder pops up (Active Image? or whatever) saying it can't open the document.

I have Adobe Reader on my desktop. How can I make it so I don't get that popup? Where would I have to put an Adobe Alias in my system so these site documents are opened by my computer after download right away and I don't have to close everything, find Adobe and then open the file.

I would appreciate an answer w
... See more
When I go to a site, and click on view or download a PDF, my dell computer image finder pops up (Active Image? or whatever) saying it can't open the document.

I have Adobe Reader on my desktop. How can I make it so I don't get that popup? Where would I have to put an Adobe Alias in my system so these site documents are opened by my computer after download right away and I don't have to close everything, find Adobe and then open the file.

I would appreciate an answer written out in full because I really don't usually understand those kinds of answers. Thanx so much.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
הרפובליקה הצ'כית
Local time: 09:38
מאנגלית לצ׳כית
+ ...
Opening PDF files Feb 22, 2005

You should disable your image finder or whatever. I don't know what exactly you should do, because it's probably a Dell-specific tool.

Where would I have to put an Adobe Alias in my system so these site documents are opened by my computer after download right away and I don't have to close everything, find Adobe and then open the file.

Try this: In MS Internet Explorer, right-click the PDF file, choose "Save Target As..." and select a folder where the document will be downloaded. You can choose Desktop, for example. Start downloading and uncheck "Close this dialog box when download completes". When download completes, click "Open".

You can also open any PDF file by double-clicking its icon, either on Desktop or in Windows Explorer.

You should also be able to start Adobe Reader via the Start menu, not just from desktop. And you can drag the Adobe Reader icon from Desktop to the Quick Launch panel, which should be to the right from the Start button (it depends on your configuration). Quick Launch panel is quite handy, because it allows you to start applications without going to the Start menu or minimizing all other windows to reveal Desktop with the application shortcut.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
אורוגוואי
Local time: 04:38
מאנגלית לספרדית
Make sure... Feb 22, 2005

you have Acrobat Reader associated to .pdf files (instead of the Image Viewer). To change file type associations you can follow the steps detailed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262808/en-us

espurna
espurna  Identity Verified
ספרד
Local time: 09:38
חבר (2005)
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Go back to previous version Feb 22, 2005

Hi Jane,

It happened something similar to me after updating to version 6 or so. When I realized that the update was the moment that problems arise, I uninstalled the last version and downloaded the previous one. After that, pdfs go fine again... even with ME, probably the worst Windows version.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
מצרפתית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attempting...to change file association Feb 23, 2005

Actually, I think it was the other way. I am trying your suggestion, Thanx Rossana

Rossana Triaca wrote:

you have Acrobat Reader associated to .pdf files (instead of the Image Viewer). To change file type associations you can follow the steps detailed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262808/en-us[/quote]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WIndows ME, Adobe reader, and download - Dell

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »