Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?
Thread poster: José Julián Díaz
José Julián Díaz
José Julián Díaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 19, 2023

I wonder if it’s just my imagination, but have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum? Or is it simply that some peers are eagerly looking forward to getting some points or Browniz, or at least some attention with useless comments? I don’t even know what these Browniz or points are for! LOL
What I’m sure I have perceived is some kind of savage rivalry with personal allusions.
And finally, perhaps it’s because I’m old school, but I certainly don’t
... See more
I wonder if it’s just my imagination, but have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum? Or is it simply that some peers are eagerly looking forward to getting some points or Browniz, or at least some attention with useless comments? I don’t even know what these Browniz or points are for! LOL
What I’m sure I have perceived is some kind of savage rivalry with personal allusions.
And finally, perhaps it’s because I’m old school, but I certainly don’t like “talking” to someone hidden behind a fake name and a fake profile picture. What about you?
I’d like you to share your thoughts on this reflection of mine…
Cheers, my dear peers!
Collapse

Sandra Reitan (X)
Yaotl Altan
abe(L)solano
Steven Huddleston

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:03
German to English
+ ...
Absolutely Jan 19, 2023

José Julián Díaz wrote:

And finally, perhaps it’s because I’m old school, but I certainly don’t like “talking” to someone hidden behind a fake name and a fake profile picture. What about you?
I’d like you to share your thoughts on this reflection of mine…
Cheers, my dear peers!

As long as it's within the rulez, almost everything is tolerated. That's the nature of this game - the rules allow fakes, whether name, qualifications, even native language(s). Some participants are very eager to gain points and will resort to entertaining methods. But not all people behind fake/anonymous profiles are unprofessional.

What exactly are you asking? Maybe I'm missing your point.

Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis
Rachel Fell

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not really. Jan 19, 2023

Anything on this platform that comes close to harassment or bullying is at best extremely subtle because moderation is quite strict here (which is a good thing). At least users are forced to use some language skills if they want to pick on someone without having their posts deleted, and I think that's very appropriate for a translation forum .

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My answer: it's just your imagination Jan 19, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxAsiv7EIQ

[Edited at 2023-01-19 09:14 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jan 19, 2023

I’ve been a very active member for a while and I haven’t noticed nothing of that sort. Like everything else in real life, occasionally things get complicated for whatever reason but for the most part Proz users are rather knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, supportive and professional. Those that are not tend to disappear almost as quickly as they appeared…

P.S. Harassment and bullying shouldn’t be tolerated under any circumstances but I wonder if these are the right words to
... See more
I’ve been a very active member for a while and I haven’t noticed nothing of that sort. Like everything else in real life, occasionally things get complicated for whatever reason but for the most part Proz users are rather knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, supportive and professional. Those that are not tend to disappear almost as quickly as they appeared…

P.S. Harassment and bullying shouldn’t be tolerated under any circumstances but I wonder if these are the right words to say what you mean?
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
Philip Lees

Tanja Oresnik
Tanja Oresnik  Identity Verified
Slovenia
French to Slovenian
+ ...
No Jan 19, 2023

I haven't perceived any of this on the forum here, at least not in the topics I usually follow and read. It seems to me that this platform is carefully monitored by moderators, so perhaps it would be useful if you could specify in which topics do the bullying and the harassment occur, so moderators could pay a bit more attention to those?

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
At the risk of sounding like more bullying.... Jan 19, 2023

I think you're referring to this?

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish-to-english/medical-cardiology/7111532-fa-en-contexto-pna.html

Personally, I don't take offense when someone disagrees with a Kudoz answer of mine, I either defend it with more context/evidence or I agree that my answer is wrong and take it down/hid
... See more
I think you're referring to this?

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/spanish-to-english/medical-cardiology/7111532-fa-en-contexto-pna.html

Personally, I don't take offense when someone disagrees with a Kudoz answer of mine, I either defend it with more context/evidence or I agree that my answer is wrong and take it down/hide it. That's the idea behind science and medicine itself.

The comment "I don't think this justifies a 5" is not, in my opinion, bullying or harassment. It's simply stating that you don't provide solid contextual evidence for your answer, something that as you know is super important in medical/science translations. Mistranslating something can have very real consequences for an individual.

The person who made that comment is a regular and well-respected Kudoz contributor and I've never known him to be disrespectful or a bully. I feel like Kudoz is generally a very civil and respectful place. But I guess it's down to an individual's perception, but I do urge you to not take it so personally. It's about the evidence behind the translation/answer provided, not attacking you as an individual, I promise.
Collapse

writeaway
Philippe Etienne
Barbara Carrara
Michele Fauble
MollyRose
philgoddard

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
getting it right Jan 19, 2023

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd wrote:

..... provide solid contextual evidence for your answer.....

On the very rare occasions when I have to go to Kudoz to find the correct translation of a particular term that I can't find anywhere else, I often find that most of the suggested answers are completely wrong and very wide of the mark. So despite all the cross-checking, the answer that was selected as the correct one, wasn't.

Kudoz should be renamed Pinchofsalt !

Lieven Malaise
writeaway
Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
CroPro
Kay Denney

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Kudoz is mediocre at best Jan 19, 2023

Tom in London wrote:
On the very rare occasions when I have to go to Kudoz to find the correct translation of a particular term that I can't find anywhere else, I often find that most of the suggested answers are completely wrong and very wide of the mark. So despite all the cross-checking, the answer that was selected as the correct one, wasn't.

In general Kudoz answers aren't much better than a machine translation auto-suggest function: it can help you in the right direction, but you can't take it for granted. And that's actually quite normal as Kudoz is (or at least should be) a last resort for desperate translators who really can't find what they are looking for. The answer should be hard as hell to find, or else you shouldn't be asking the question. But if I'm desperate I don't ask a Kudoz question. I contact my client instead (or let the agency contact the end client) who probably knows more about the terminology than any random translator. In the end it is you, the translator, that is responsible for your terminological choices, and only you.

writeaway
Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
expressisverbis
CroPro
Michael Newton

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Moderation Jan 19, 2023

KudoZ is moderated with a very light touch by fellow translators, and most of the forums with a very heavy touch by ProZ staff, so KudoZ is in some ways the last bastion of the rude and aggressive.

Hence every time I write anything in KudoZ, I get sniped at by a certain person who I dared to disagree with once too often, and nobody intervenes. But it's not what I would call bullying anyway. More childishness.

Christel Zipfel
neilmac
Michele Fauble
expressisverbis
Michael Newton
Andy Watkinson

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree in part Jan 19, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

In general Kudoz answers aren't much better than a machine translation auto-suggest function: it can help you in the right direction, but you can't take it for granted. And that's actually quite normal as Kudoz is (or at least should be) a last resort for desperate translators who really can't find what they are looking for. The answer should be hard as hell to find, or else you shouldn't be asking the question. But if I'm desperate I don't ask a Kudoz question. I contact my client instead (or let the agency contact the end client) who probably knows more about the terminology than any random translator. In the end it is you, the translator, that is responsible for your terminological choices, and only you.

I agree with you that it's often better to contact the agency or end client, but the Term Search has helped me out on hundreds of occasions. I've only been using Proz since 2008 but there used to be several people who worked in my language pairs who really knew what they were talking about and you could, and still can, trust their very helpful answers.

neilmac
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
philgoddard
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Björn Vrooman

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It all depends on the context... Jan 19, 2023

José Julián Díaz wrote:

I wonder if it’s just my imagination, but have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?

I don't know if I could say it's a "certain harassment or bullying", but on KudoZ "it all depends on the context"
I also don't take offence for a disagree when it is well founded and I found out I was completely wrong.
But I admit that it bothers me a bit, for example, when the asker doesn't mention the Portuguese variant and out of nowhere I see a disagree like this one: "That's not the way it's used in Brazil".
Yes, it happened to me and I think I'm not the only one. This happens often and it's a bit sad to see.
So, for those who come here with this kind of unprofessional and somewhat arrogant attitude, I have only one polite and professional answer to them.
On the other hand, we can see something totally different and enriching: a few great colleagues who provide their knowledgeable help/experience and good camaraderie, and that's what matters!
Attitudes that are unprofessional and sometimes rude, you just need to ignore it and in case of serious incidents to report them to the mods.

[Edited at 2023-01-19 18:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-19 18:52 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
ahartje

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Have you noticed? Jan 19, 2023

Curiously enough, when it happens it's usually from some faceless and/or nameless nobody...

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Depends on the mod Jan 19, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

In general Kudoz answers aren't much better than a machine translation auto-suggest function: it can help you in the right direction, but you can't take it for granted.

I would say that KudoZ answers nowadays are almost always listed as a result of Google research. No personal knowledge/experience or explanation needed any more, a link is enough! So everyone who is good at researches could post an answer, no need to be a translator.

But let's return to topic: in my main LP (IT DE), moderation has seemed to be an optional since many years, while before we had a very strict moderator who reacted immediately. Occasional harasssments are now ignored (tolerated necessarily?) by everyone, which seems, under such circumstances, to be the only solution as the mod anyway never shows up and we have no other choice. So unfortunately everything depends on the moderator.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-01-19 23:02 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Part of the problem. Jan 20, 2023

Christel Zipfel wrote:
No personal knowledge/experience or explanation needed any more, a link is enough!

I understand what you are saying, but it's actually part of the problem. Someone else's knowledge, experience or explanation is of little use to me if it can't be backed by third party reference documents or books, which nowadays mostly come in the form of links found through Google Search. So I would say those links are a good thing (or might be a good thing). Anyway, "a respected and experienced fellow translator provided me with the translation" would never be of great help if a client would contest one of my translations.

Charles R.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you perceived certain harassment or bullying on the KudoZ forum?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »