+ ...
Sep 7, 2011

The british library in London is organising this event

How Translation Shapes Our Everyday Lives

When: Fri 9 Sep 2011, 18.45 – 20.00

Where: Conference Centre, British Library

Price: None

Book now for 09 Sep 2011, 18.45 – 20.00

David Bellos, translator, biographer and lecturer in Comparative Literature at Princeton University, will talk and take questions about his new book, Is that a Fish in Your Ear? Trans
... See more
The british library in London is organising this event

How Translation Shapes Our Everyday Lives

When: Fri 9 Sep 2011, 18.45 – 20.00

Where: Conference Centre, British Library

Price: None

Book now for 09 Sep 2011, 18.45 – 20.00

David Bellos, translator, biographer and lecturer in Comparative Literature at Princeton University, will talk and take questions about his new book, Is that a Fish in Your Ear? Translation and the Meaning of Everything, published by Penguin Press this month.

In the Conference Centre (MR4)
Collapse

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for posting that Lenah Sep 8, 2011

I can't make the talk, but will seek out the book.

David Bellos is the excellent translator of Georges Perec's Life A User's Manual and a number of other works by Perec, one of my favourite writers.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:55
Dutch to English
Read the book! Sep 18, 2011

Go to the library or a bookshop and get this book! I've just started it and I can promise you it's great reading for anyone who likes language.

#JuliaC#
#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
German to Italian
+ ...
I read it too... Sep 18, 2011

And here's a little anticipation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1lvS0R91k

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great link Sep 19, 2011

Thanks Giulia for the link! it's great

Michelle Deeter
Michelle Deeter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
Definitely a good book, covering a lot of topics Jan 7, 2012

Bellos is very readable, and I was impressed with examples he used to make his point. To think that some books were translated and sold as "original works" and other works were original works but sold as "translations" shows very clearly that a translation is not inferior to the original. If readers cannot tell which is the translation and which is the original, then who is to say that the translation is worse? It's just different.

His theory on translation "up" (to a language wi
... See more
Bellos is very readable, and I was impressed with examples he used to make his point. To think that some books were translated and sold as "original works" and other works were original works but sold as "translations" shows very clearly that a translation is not inferior to the original. If readers cannot tell which is the translation and which is the original, then who is to say that the translation is worse? It's just different.

His theory on translation "up" (to a language with more prestige or more readers) versus translation "down" (to a vernacular language with less prestige or fewer readers) is intriguing, but I think it needs more investigation. He disproved his own theory a few paragraphs after laying it out. I would argue translation "up" and "down" would depend on the function of the text. Still, it's an intriguing concept.

Also, the history of the birth of simultaneous interpretation was great. Mind. Blown.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How translation shapes our everyday lives

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »