ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:37
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Extremely Good Amplifier Indeed Dec 17, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

People keep saying that but I have no complaints. I'm a very attentive listener to music, and with the audio system I have, I hear every detail. I use Spotify all the time to explore music I would otherwise not know about. I don't sit worrying about the data compression or sound wave clipping or whatever. I use this old, and extremely good amplifier that has had to be repaired several times:

and if you saw the way I get Spotify on my PC through an HDMI cable to my Smart TV and then from the Smart TV through a DAC and a long cable to the NAD amplifier, your hair would stand on end. But I'm happy with it ! The sound is excellent!

[Edited at 2022-12-16 17:31 GMT]

From the review, it looks like it is an extremely good integrated amplifier, indeed. Mine is a very old Yamaha A-1020 with 125W per channel (0.005% THD) connected to a pair of JBL three-way speakers. I have had it for more than three decades now. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to find high-end audio equipment in Turkey now because people cannot afford it any more. So, they do not import them at all. You know, sustained high inflation impoverishes people at the speed of light. I would not have such equipment now if I had not bought it long ago. C'est la vie.

Baran Keki
Tom in London

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:37
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Spotify Dec 17, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

and if you saw the way I get Spotify on my PC through an HDMI cable to my Smart TV and then from the Smart TV through a DAC and a long cable to the NAD amplifier, your hair would stand on end. But I'm happy with it ! The sound is excellent!

[Edited at 2022-12-16 17:31 GMT]

No Spotify app on your Smart TV? Just wondering...

BTW, there are music streaming services that offer streaming in lossless format. Apple has just introduced such a service, but also Tidal, Deezer, etc. offer one...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Smart Dec 17, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

No Spotify app on your Smart TV? Just wondering...

Yes but sometimes I prefer to control it from my computer

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
music collections Dec 18, 2022

I remember buying vinyl and CDs at HMV at Piccadilly Circus and on Oxford Street. There are two HMVs left in Montreal. It's still possible to buy CDs at bookstores in Italy. You can find CDs cheek by jowl with vinyl at bookstores in Istanbul. CDs are great but the sound from my computer is incomparable. The Japanese are into vinyl bigtime and who doesn't have a turntable nowadays?!

ATIL KAYHAN

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Teşekkür ederim Atil Bey. Dec 18, 2022

Thank you for the links! These sound very interesting, indeed (he he he).

ATIL KAYHAN

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:37
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Turkish CD and LP Dec 18, 2022

If anyone is interested in Turkish CD and LP, I can refer you to a safe website I have been shopping for some time now. It is the largest online music store in Turkey. The website itself is in Turkish but it is pretty self-explanatory. You can always consult regarding the language if necessary. "Plak" means record, for example.

https://www.opus3a.com/

Michael Newton

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Fair enough... Dec 18, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Yes but sometimes I prefer to control it from my computer

Maggie Chan
Maggie Chan
United States
Still prefer "own" music Sep 5, 2023

The concept of music collections has evolved significantly in recent years due to the digitalization of music and the rise of streaming services.

1. Physical Music Collections:
In the past, many people had physical music collections that included vinyl records, cassette tapes, CDs, and even DVD-Audio or SACD discs. These physical formats allowed music enthusiasts to build tangible collections of their favorite artists and albums.

2. Digital Music Collections:
... See more
The concept of music collections has evolved significantly in recent years due to the digitalization of music and the rise of streaming services.

In the past, many people had physical music collections that included vinyl records, cassette tapes, CDs, and even DVD-Audio or SACD discs. These physical formats allowed music enthusiasts to build tangible collections of their favorite artists and albums.

With the advent of digital music, people started building digital music collections on their computers. They would purchase and download individual songs or albums from online music stores like iTunes or rip their CDs to create digital libraries. These collections were stored on hard drives and organized in media players. And this is also the one I prefer because it costs little but offers ownership. I have downloaded songs from Spotify with DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter. It's convenient and of high output quality.

3. Streaming Services:
Streaming music services like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and others have changed the way people consume music. Instead of owning and managing large digital or physical collections, users can now access vast libraries of music on demand. These services offer a vast catalog of songs for a monthly subscription fee, reducing the need for traditional collections.

4. Playlists and Libraries:
Many people have shifted from owning or collecting music to curating playlists. They create personalized playlists on streaming platforms, which serve as collections of their favorite songs or tracks for different moods and occasions. These playlists are often shared and updated regularly.

5. Vinyl Resurgence:
Interestingly, there has been a resurgence of interest in vinyl records in recent years, with some music enthusiasts and collectors embracing vinyl for its analog sound quality and tactile experience. Vinyl collectors often consider their record collections as a prized possession.

6. Hybrid Approaches:
Some individuals maintain a mix of digital and physical music collections alongside their streaming subscriptions. This allows them to enjoy the convenience of streaming while cherishing physical or digital copies of special albums or limited-edition releases.

In today's digital age, the concept of music collections has diversified, with many people opting for the convenience and accessibility of streaming while preserving aspects of traditional music ownership and collecting. The shift toward streaming has made it easier for music lovers to explore a wide range of genres and artists without the need for extensive physical or digital collections.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:37
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
...says ChatGPT? Sep 5, 2023

Maggie Chan wrote:

With the advent of digital music, people started building digital music collections on their computers. They would purchase and download individual songs or albums from online music stores like iTunes or rip their CDs to create digital libraries. These collections were stored on hard drives and organized in media players. And this is also the one I prefer because it costs little but offers ownership. I have downloaded songs from Spotify with DumpMedia Spotify Music Converter. It's convenient and of high output quality.

3. Streaming Services:
Streaming music services like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and others have changed the way people consume music. Instead of owning and managing large digital or physical collections, users can now access vast libraries of music on demand. These services offer a vast catalog of songs for a monthly subscription fee, reducing the need for traditional collections.

4. Playlists and Libraries:
Many people have shifted from owning or collecting music to curating playlists. They create personalized playlists on streaming platforms, which serve as collections of their favorite songs or tracks for different moods and occasions. These playlists are often shared and updated regularly.

5. Vinyl Resurgence:
Interestingly, there has been a resurgence of interest in vinyl records in recent years, with some music enthusiasts and collectors embracing vinyl for its analog sound quality and tactile experience. Vinyl collectors often consider their record collections as a prized possession.

6. Hybrid Approaches:
Some individuals maintain a mix of digital and physical music collections alongside their streaming subscriptions. This allows them to enjoy the convenience of streaming while cherishing physical or digital copies of special albums or limited-edition releases.

In today's digital age, the concept of music collections has diversified, with many people opting for the convenience and accessibility of streaming while preserving aspects of traditional music ownership and collecting. The shift toward streaming has made it easier for music lovers to explore a wide range of genres and artists without the need for extensive physical or digital collections.

Baran Keki
Becca Resnik
Lieven Malaise
expressisverbis
Metin Demirel
Mr. Satan (X)
Maggie Chan

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 05:37
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Sep 5, 2023

What's going on with all those ChatGPT "new users" ? I really don't understand why this is happening. Is it some kind of test or do people have too much time on their hands ? Their contributions are uninteresting and it virtually immediately shows that it's a bot that is speaking.

On-topic: I threw my entire cassette and mainly CD collection away and I actually don't regret it. It's the music I'm in love with, not the plastic packaging, although I very much liked the artwork sometim
... See more
What's going on with all those ChatGPT "new users" ? I really don't understand why this is happening. Is it some kind of test or do people have too much time on their hands ? Their contributions are uninteresting and it virtually immediately shows that it's a bot that is speaking.

On-topic: I threw my entire cassette and mainly CD collection away and I actually don't regret it. It's the music I'm in love with, not the plastic packaging, although I very much liked the artwork sometimes. But I appreciate Spotify that allows me to listen endlessly to all the music I adore.
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Beep Bop Sep 6, 2023

Hello, fellow human beings. I am also a fellow human being made out of flesh who is capable of feeling love. I like music with 4/4 time signature. I store my music collections in my 1,000 exabyte memory module. My memory module is also made out of flesh and other organic compositions. Let us listen to music together with other fellow human beings. Beep bopBeep bop.

[Edited at 2023-09-06 04:58 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Spotify Sep 6, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

... I appreciate Spotify that allows me to listen endlessly to all the music I adore.

With Spotify you can find music you might want to just listen to once, without necessarily paying to own a recording. Just the other day I found old recordings of Charles Ives trying out his compositions on the piano. Something I would never otherwise have listened to, and a real eye-opener, or rather ear-opener. Here he is sounding more avant-garde in 1906 than anything today's avant-garde are doing (and with shouting!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSUJAERnR2U

[Edited at 2023-09-06 07:53 GMT]

Lieven Malaise

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do people nowadays have music collections

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »