Off topic: Why is Proz website coming up in French?
Thread poster: Jane Martin
Jane Martin
Jane Martin  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Feb 6

It's not a particular problem as I can read French but am just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I am now going to 'envoyer le message'

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:00
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Settings Feb 6

Jane Martin wrote:

It's not a particular problem as I can read French but am just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I am now going to 'envoyer le message'

You must have changed your settings unintentionally. Close all browsers, maybe restart your PC, and then come back and try again (there are also other ways to fix this, but this is the simplest one).

Also try clicking here: https://www.proz.com

[Edited at 2024-02-06 10:44 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Happened to me... Feb 6

... in January
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/365302-i_am_so_sick_of_all_these_bugs_staff_apology_and_update_on_the_software_upgrade_process-page2.html#3027590

In my case, it displayed in Arabic, which I can't read. I had to google how to change your display
... See more
... in January
https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/365302-i_am_so_sick_of_all_these_bugs_staff_apology_and_update_on_the_software_upgrade_process-page2.html#3027590

In my case, it displayed in Arabic, which I can't read. I had to google how to change your display language and figure it out by guesswork.

In my case, I think the trigger was that I had googled a term, one of the hits happened to be a kudoz answer, I clicked on it, and it was in Arabic. After that, my usual Proz tab (it's open most of the time) changed to Arabic next time I refreshed it, and that was that for a few hours, until I realised it wasn't going to change back to English of its own accord.
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Björn Vrooman
Christel Zipfel
philgoddard

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Or else... Feb 6

Jane Martin wrote:

You might have inadvertently clicked on the Accessibility button at the bottom of any tab page, showing your preferred language as your current localization setting. Click on that, then (re)select English.

Hope this helps.

writeaway
Jennifer White
philgoddard

Jane Martin
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Feb 6

... for these suggestions. I have done them all and am still being shown the website in French.

At the top I have got 'Vous postez une réponse au sujet "Why is Proz website coming up in French?" dans le forum "Off topic". Si vous souhaitez poster un nouveau sujet, revenez et utilisez le lien 'Poster un nouveau sujet'.'

I will send a ticket as suggested - luckily I understand French, thank goodness it's not in Arabic!

Barbara Carrara
Charlie Bavington

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
In which case... Feb 6

...it must be a new bug! (Now that would be a surprise! Not.)

Please do send a ticket, and keep us posted.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Switch language Feb 6

In the bottom right corner of any ProZ page there is the drop down menu to switch language.
It's an actual BUG that the ProZ site stays in another language just because you visited a ProZ page in that language (see Charlie Bavington's post). This should not happen.

Christel Zipfel
mk_lab

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Zea Feb 6

Zea_Mays wrote:

In the bottom right corner of any ProZ page there is the drop down menu to switch language.
It's an actual BUG that the ProZ site stays in another language just because you visited a ProZ page in that language (see Charlie Bavington's post). This should not happen.

I already offered that suggestion, which apparently didn't solve the issue (see my first post above).

Zea_Mays
philgoddard

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Not new Feb 6

Barbara Carrara wrote:

...it must be a new bug! (Now that would be a surprise! Not.)

but an (older) bug definitely. I found my ProZ site some weeks ago in cyrillic.

Barbara Carrara

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Cookies Feb 6

Also worth trying: clean cookies, restart Internet modem, try a different browser.

Jane Martin
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Back in English again Feb 6

Thank you for all your suggestions. All sorted now. It was the language button beside the accessibilty button at the bottom of the page. Thank you Zea and Barbara.

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
philgoddard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Proz website coming up in French?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »