euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:54
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2013

Hi all,

I am translating subtitles for the very first time, and for fun, using OmegaT running on my Mac. Once I finished and saved the target file, I opened the srt file to check it. I have all Spanish characters (accents, ñs, etc) wrong. I tried searching the web, but came up with nothing. Any thoughts? I guess this is a simple problem, but never happened to me.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:54
German to Spanish
Maybe Oct 9, 2013

Try to save the srt file as UTF-8

With a Editor, like Textwrangler

Saludos

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:54
English to French
+ ...
Set the input and output character set correctly in OmegaT Oct 11, 2013

euge bellini wrote:
I am translating subtitles for the very first time, and for fun, using OmegaT running on my Mac. Once I finished and saved the target file, I opened the srt file to check it. I have all Spanish characters (accents, ñs, etc) wrong. I tried searching the web, but came up with nothing. Any thoughts? I guess this is a simple problem, but never happened to me.

By default, the SubRip filter is set to "automatic", which means it supposes the file you translate uses the same character set as your operating system, which isn't always true.

Make sure your source document is in UTF-8.
In OmegaT, go to Options > File Filters > SubRip Subtitles >Edit... and change the Source File Encoding and the Target File Encoding from to UTF-8.

Didier

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Subtitles problem with OmegaT on Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »