Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: You receive the source text in electronic format: do you type the translation on top of it?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 04:20
español al inglés
+ ...
It depends Jul 18, 2008

I use CAT tools (WordFast and TRADOS) but sometimes when I receive the original text on a scanned page, then I just have to type. I use 2 computers, one with the scanned image, and the other with the document I create. It is quite rapid and efficient, at least I think so.

Where would globalization be without us translators?

Nigel.:)

[Edited at 2008-07-18 16:49]

[Edited at 2008-07-18 16:50]

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:20
Miembro 2006
inglés al portugués
+ ...
No Jul 18, 2008

Because I use Trados. Even with bilingual files, I always copy the text into the target column and use Trados, so my answer is definitely no.

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Miembro 2003
inglés al alemán
+ ...
No Jul 18, 2008

I generally use a CAT tool, in some cases just for the reason so I don't have to type over the source.

Sometimes, I can't be bothered to open Trados for really small resource files (3-5 sentences) and I type over the original sentences, just to find that as soon as I have deleted the source sentence, I need to check something and have to open the original, unedited file. Really annoying.

I couldn't work on larger projects constantly typing over the source and constantl
... See more
I generally use a CAT tool, in some cases just for the reason so I don't have to type over the source.

Sometimes, I can't be bothered to open Trados for really small resource files (3-5 sentences) and I type over the original sentences, just to find that as soon as I have deleted the source sentence, I need to check something and have to open the original, unedited file. Really annoying.

I couldn't work on larger projects constantly typing over the source and constantly having the additional steps of highlighting and deleting the source sentence. I cannot understand that others don't use a CAT tool just for the purpose of having access to both source and target at the same time - all the time.

If you do type over the source, how do you proofread the translation to make sure that you haven't left out something and the translation really corresponds to the source? Two files next to each other, going back and forth between them? If you do that, I can only recommend that you give any CAT tool a try! You will save a lot of time and can maintain a high quality standard much more easily!
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 23:20
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Yes Jul 18, 2008

I don't use CAT tools at the moment, although I have in the past. I receive a file via e-mail, open it, and if it's just a plain .doc text I immediately select and copy it. I paste the copy under the original with the word "copy" in between to divide them. Then I translate on top of the original, deleting words as I go along. When I'm done I have the translation first and then the original on the same page. I use the screen divider to check my translation against the original.

When
... See more
I don't use CAT tools at the moment, although I have in the past. I receive a file via e-mail, open it, and if it's just a plain .doc text I immediately select and copy it. I paste the copy under the original with the word "copy" in between to divide them. Then I translate on top of the original, deleting words as I go along. When I'm done I have the translation first and then the original on the same page. I use the screen divider to check my translation against the original.

When it's a PDF (and I get loads of those), I open a Word document, size it down to half screen and work with it on top of the PDF. This system works just fine for me.

Amy
Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
No Jul 18, 2008

I use Trados, for virtually everything.

Regards,
Saskia

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Alemania
alemán al inglés
+ ...
As a chemist I'd be stupid not to Jul 18, 2008

I use Transit / Trados and yes I write over the source text (like all Transit users and most Trados users if they have copied the source), it is of course a copy of the original. For one thing it would drive me crazy having to continuously format formulae, e.g. CH3CH2CH2-O-CH2CH(CH3)2, and it would be very easy to miss out one of the letters or change a number. I often have data mixed in with the text so overwriting is the most effective way of making sure the numbers and units aren't changed. T... See more
I use Transit / Trados and yes I write over the source text (like all Transit users and most Trados users if they have copied the source), it is of course a copy of the original. For one thing it would drive me crazy having to continuously format formulae, e.g. CH3CH2CH2-O-CH2CH(CH3)2, and it would be very easy to miss out one of the letters or change a number. I often have data mixed in with the text so overwriting is the most effective way of making sure the numbers and units aren't changed. The other reason is that the dictionary words (my current dictionaries are populated with over 200,000 terms) can be inserted by pressing Alt+T (or other combinations for alternate terms), which means I don't have to type them - a huge bonus for words like "5-[(4-chlorophenyl)methyl]-2,2-dimethylcyclopentanone"

Jill
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 19:20
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
A mix Jul 18, 2008

This was my question. Finally!! I've tried to post it in several different versions over the years, because I'm curious to know what others do.

Sometimes I will translate a sentence from scratch: I read the whole sentence in the original, create a couple of lines of space to separate the rest of the original text, and translate the sentence with my eyes closed. This works if the meaning is convoluted and it's easier to figure it out in my head than on the screen.

Other
... See more
This was my question. Finally!! I've tried to post it in several different versions over the years, because I'm curious to know what others do.

Sometimes I will translate a sentence from scratch: I read the whole sentence in the original, create a couple of lines of space to separate the rest of the original text, and translate the sentence with my eyes closed. This works if the meaning is convoluted and it's easier to figure it out in my head than on the screen.

Other times there are a lot of figures and symbols and there's no point in doing it from scratch; I just overstrike.

One drawback is that the spellchecker may not like this approach and change the target words into something similar in the source language.

The other problem, of course, is that it's awkward with Trados, which personally I find very cumbersome to use. Like Henry, I prefer CATS with fur!

My final comment is that some colleages have scolded me for overstriking and implied that it was a "bad thing" - I wonder why?

[Edited at 2008-07-18 20:23]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 22:20
inglés al francés
+ ...
Well, it seems that one translator out of two doesn't use a CAT tool Jul 19, 2008

I am happy that there are actually more translators not using CAT tools than I expected - I thought that at least 75% of us was using CAT tools. Which means that the translator community is still varied enough that the use of CAT tools cannot be forced upon us - yet.

I answered no - I use a CAT tool. I just wanted to say that I use CAT tools even when it is not necessary. The reason why is that by doing this, I add to my TMs. Even if the text itself isn't repetitive, over time, I ma
... See more
I am happy that there are actually more translators not using CAT tools than I expected - I thought that at least 75% of us was using CAT tools. Which means that the translator community is still varied enough that the use of CAT tools cannot be forced upon us - yet.

I answered no - I use a CAT tool. I just wanted to say that I use CAT tools even when it is not necessary. The reason why is that by doing this, I add to my TMs. Even if the text itself isn't repetitive, over time, I may come across a segment in a different project that contains a term I translated a while ago. I am happy to find it in my mega-project in XBench! So, even if the use of a CAT tool has no effect on that particular file, it can turn out to be very beneficial for my general translation activities.

Maria Cortés wrote:
By the way, how do I count the words in a PDF if I don't have any recognition programme?

I recommend you to google AutoUnbreak (freeware). It will let you extract the text from a text-based (vs. image-based) PDF while it retains most of the formatting and deletes those annoying line breaks. This will result in an RTF file, the wordcount of which you already know how to perform. The nice thing is that you can then use a CAT tool to translate that PDF, if you so desire.

Also see Count Anything at http://ginstrom.com/CountAnything - they have just added PDF to the list of formats it can count.

[Edited at 2008-07-19 17:44]
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
inglés al polaco
Other Jul 19, 2008

Other - I don't type on top of it, I work with CAT tool, and that way create a new file, which I later save with a _PL suffix.

Anni

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
español al inglés
To answer Heike's question Jul 19, 2008

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

If you do type over the source, how do you proofread the translation to make sure that you haven't left out something and the translation really corresponds to the source? Two files next to each other, going back and forth between them? If you do that, I can only recommend that you give any CAT tool a try! You will save a lot of time and can maintain a high quality standard much more easily!

You have a printout. I still work with a paper copy even if using Wordfast. It's the most effective way of making sure that the format of the final document is the same as the original. Wordfast does sometimes change things without being asked to do so!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 20:20
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
No thanks, Heike Jul 19, 2008

"If you do type over the source, how do you proofread the translation to make sure that you haven't left out something and the translation really corresponds to the source? Two files next to each other, going back and forth between them? If you do that, I can only recommend that you give any CAT tool a try! You will save a lot of time and can maintain a high quality standard much more easily!"

No thanks, Heike, I just replace text as I go along in short segments; short enough so tha
... See more
"If you do type over the source, how do you proofread the translation to make sure that you haven't left out something and the translation really corresponds to the source? Two files next to each other, going back and forth between them? If you do that, I can only recommend that you give any CAT tool a try! You will save a lot of time and can maintain a high quality standard much more easily!"

No thanks, Heike, I just replace text as I go along in short segments; short enough so that I don't miss anything. I use search and replace to help although its value is somewhat limited due to syntax problems. Sometimes I will translate following the original syntax, then go back and cut and paste to straighten it out.

If I omit anything and I go back and check, there it is staring me in the face untranslated! So I correct it.

When I am done I just go through it on the screen and make sure everything is right, then out it goes. I do not have to compare it with any original text except a few circumstances where I might have a doubt as to whether I got the meaning of something right.

It works, and no CATS.
Collapse

Kathleen Shelly
Kathleen Shelly  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
inglés al español
+ ...
Yes, but save first Jul 19, 2008

I first save it as a separate document in case of problems, but does that go without saying?

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungría
Miembro 2006
ruso al húngaro
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
different methods Jul 20, 2008

If text with repetitions or Trados required - no.
If paper document - have to.
If Word document - save the original file as ...doc, then save as ...HU.doc and press 2 enters before start translating.
I agree completely with Mr. Jack Doughty, in case EN-RU or HU-RU of overwriting is very dangerous, because of significantly different order of words in Russian.
Cheers,
Liza

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 23:20
Miembro 2006
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Pro CAT Jul 20, 2008

I love the furry types, but they don't compare to the software CAT versions, sorry. I'm definitely a PRO-CAT man.

I use(d) Wordfast; have done for some time (and I really love it), but have recently become a Trados convert as I find the tool to be so much more powerful once one becomes adept at using these tools. TagEditor and shared server-based TM's, for example.

I've just finished a horrendously complicated legally-focused almost unintelligible PDF printout, non-CAT
... See more
I love the furry types, but they don't compare to the software CAT versions, sorry. I'm definitely a PRO-CAT man.

I use(d) Wordfast; have done for some time (and I really love it), but have recently become a Trados convert as I find the tool to be so much more powerful once one becomes adept at using these tools. TagEditor and shared server-based TM's, for example.

I've just finished a horrendously complicated legally-focused almost unintelligible PDF printout, non-CAT saga, which made it such a subsequent pleasure to be able to switch back to my beloved CAT tool(s) for my current Word-based, sanity-orientated, bog-standard translation.

My only word of warning is, that if you're not a technically orientated person, you may wish to safely circumnavigate CAT tools in order to avoid those dreadful tits-up or inexplicably weird bad hair day moments when a potentially very important and extremely time consuming translation, goes "wobbly" (for want of better words) for no obvious or justifiable reasons.

[Edited at 2008-07-20 02:14]
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
Francia
francés al inglés
+ ...
Just converted to the idea Jul 20, 2008

I recently got a Word document from an agency that had formatting that Wordfast couldn't handle. Reluctantly, fearing that letting my CAT go would be disastrous, I overtyped it doing one paragraph at a time under the original and checking back before deleting the original and finally changing the document language in Tools before doing a spellcheck.

It went fine. Numbers and names didn't need typing, except for formatting changes. My only problems were that it didn't generate a
... See more
I recently got a Word document from an agency that had formatting that Wordfast couldn't handle. Reluctantly, fearing that letting my CAT go would be disastrous, I overtyped it doing one paragraph at a time under the original and checking back before deleting the original and finally changing the document language in Tools before doing a spellcheck.

It went fine. Numbers and names didn't need typing, except for formatting changes. My only problems were that it didn't generate a TM and that Wordfast wasn't there to stop DNS's wilder lunacies. (I dictate longer documents to save my fingers, though I prefer typing, as more accurate, for shorter ones.) My DNS seems obsessed with death - e.g. "they appeared to be adequately skilled" can become "they are glad to be appropriately killed".

I believe that you can generate a TM by comparing the source and translated texts. Can anybody explain how?

Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: You receive the source text in electronic format: do you type the translation on top of it?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »