Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How many languages and dialects are spoken in your home country?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
Languages and dialects. Oct 29, 2022

In the United States, just about all of them. The New York City school system must accommodate children in 140 languages.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 22:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Good many, I guess Oct 31, 2022

I'm not too curious about the stats though. I don't know of any dialects, everyone speaks standard Russian except that some people could have a funny accent and use localisms, some of which are unintelligible to people in other parts of the country (I can put up with someone calling a frying pan zharonka as they do up north, but multifora meaning a punched pocket is kind of too much for me). And there are tons of non-Russian languages that people actually speak, which is something ... See more
I'm not too curious about the stats though. I don't know of any dialects, everyone speaks standard Russian except that some people could have a funny accent and use localisms, some of which are unintelligible to people in other parts of the country (I can put up with someone calling a frying pan zharonka as they do up north, but multifora meaning a punched pocket is kind of too much for me). And there are tons of non-Russian languages that people actually speak, which is something I came to appreciate when in the military. Tatar, Tuvan, Buryat, Mordvinic, Avar, Kabardian, Altai, Komi (I'm not just listing them at random, I heard them spoken). It's really cool when you hear a guy you thought was 100% Russian calling his granny and talking to her in Chuvash. Of course, everyone will then start asking him to teach them a couple of curse words and expressions in Chuvash, that's just military being military. And this experience makes me wonder how Russian nationalism can ever work. I'm not referring to skinheads (we had some in the past, but now they're either extinct or hiding); we do have perfectly civilized movements that identify themselves as Russian nationalists. I listened to some of their discussions but couldn't get their main point, I guess I'm just not young or crazy enough to appreciate their narratives. I love ethnic diversity and have never witnessed an ethnic conflict in the wild. I know they happen, but they only seem to be happening when I'm not around

[Edited at 2022-10-31 14:29 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many languages and dialects are spoken in your home country?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »