Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Are you having problems transitioning to Windows 10?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
My computer automatically updated to Windows 10 one morning.. Jun 15, 2016

At first I panicked, but so far (one month), no problems with Word 2007 or Trados Studio 2011.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:21
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One big bug Jun 15, 2016

I have one big issue, and I hope someone can help me.

My Windows Explorer keeps crashing. Whatever is opened on the screen keeps working, but the Windows bars and icons no longer respond. I get a double vertical arrow for a cursor over the bars and icons. The only solution is to open the Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer, but I have to do that 20 times a day!

I searched forums and sites all around and tried several solutions suggested, but none of them worked. I
... See more
I have one big issue, and I hope someone can help me.

My Windows Explorer keeps crashing. Whatever is opened on the screen keeps working, but the Windows bars and icons no longer respond. I get a double vertical arrow for a cursor over the bars and icons. The only solution is to open the Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer, but I have to do that 20 times a day!

I searched forums and sites all around and tried several solutions suggested, but none of them worked. I guess Windows 10 doesn't like my mother board.

($50 for the genius who proposes a solution that works, deposited through PayPal on the same day)
Collapse

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:21
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hear, hear! Linux is the better option Jun 15, 2016

Bruno Veilleux wrote:
Susana Magnani wrote:
I guess users just have to continue submissively letting large corporations manage their lives.

I decided against that a few years ago and I'm never turning back. As a result I have to turn down some work from companies who insist on proprietary/Windows-only software, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. There are some things I can't put a price on, and privacy and choice are among those.

I agree whole-heartedly with Bruno!

Edited to add:

By the way, the need for a new laptop/desktop pc does not necessarily force a certain OS on you. There are companies that build OS-free hardware that you can buy and have the OS of your choice installed on. It's a modular system. And there is enough free and thorougly tested software around to fulfill your every need. It takes a bit more commitment and time but the benefits of "privacy and choice", as Bruno put it, are worth it in my opinion.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-06-15 06:53 GMT]

anna purna
anna purna  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Compatibility with Trados 2011 Jun 15, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

At first I panicked, but so far (one month), no problems with Word 2007 or Trados Studio 2011.

I've just bought a new laptop which comes with Windows 10. I had problems transferring my SDL licence from my old (Windows 7) laptop to the new one and when I contacted SDL, they told me that Trados Studio 2011 was incompatible with W10 and that I needed to purchase a 207 euro upgrade to Trados 2015.

Are they having me on? I was going to make the purchase this afternoon so I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Both Jun 15, 2016

My desktop runs Windows 8.1 which is...okay (still missing my beloved XP).
My new laptop has Windows 10. Good thing I don't have to use the laptop that much.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Even angrier now... Jun 16, 2016

Just when I thought everything was running smoothy on my shiny new Windows 10 PC, I find that Google Chrome doesn't work properly on this system. Well, it did for a couple of days, but now every time I try to access it all I get is a totally black screen. I've tried googling the issue and there are several forums about it, with supposed fixes and solutions suggested, none of which seems to work.

What is most irksome is that when I try to use google on other browsers, I keep getting
... See more
Just when I thought everything was running smoothy on my shiny new Windows 10 PC, I find that Google Chrome doesn't work properly on this system. Well, it did for a couple of days, but now every time I try to access it all I get is a totally black screen. I've tried googling the issue and there are several forums about it, with supposed fixes and solutions suggested, none of which seems to work.

What is most irksome is that when I try to use google on other browsers, I keep getting a litttle pop-up ad telling me that "Google works better with Chrome"... Which makes me want to smash the whole thing up and go back to stone tablets and chisel. And what's even worse is that this is a company making squillions per year in profits, yet it apparently can't be bothered to churn out a decent, properly working version of its star product.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you having problems transitioning to Windows 10?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »