Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Did you want to work in translation/interpreting when you were a kid?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
No Aug 30, 2018

Never thought of it.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:49
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Aug 30, 2018

I have never been a baby goat☺

Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Yes and no Aug 30, 2018

Before I got interested in languages, I wanted to become a biologist or doctor. Later I developed a passion for languages and wanted to work with them. Everyone assumed I wanted to be a translator, but I was more interested in language teaching. While studying languages and linguistics at university, a hobby rekindled my interest in biology. However languages have remained my passion, so I went on to teach and translate.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:49
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Kid = 5, 10, 15 or 18 y.o.? Aug 30, 2018

Before 10, what you want to be doesn't make a difference. You want to be a soldier, a police officer, and athlete or other things that look like a hero. Hardly ever maitained after that.
From 10 to 15, you don't want to be anything, or you want to be something this week, and next week it will be something else.
From 16 on, you start thinking about concrete possibilities to decide what will be your college choice.
So I'm considering what I wanted to be as a "Kid" from 15 on.... See more
Before 10, what you want to be doesn't make a difference. You want to be a soldier, a police officer, and athlete or other things that look like a hero. Hardly ever maitained after that.
From 10 to 15, you don't want to be anything, or you want to be something this week, and next week it will be something else.
From 16 on, you start thinking about concrete possibilities to decide what will be your college choice.
So I'm considering what I wanted to be as a "Kid" from 15 on.
I always considered translation as a choice, but it wasn't my professional choice, and I didn't even thing about graduating in languages or anything like that. I'm very thankful for that now, since I only became a translator later and both my degree and my professional experience were a lot more valuable for my current profession than the traditional language/translation courses would have been.
Collapse

Maksim Mirzabaev
Maksim Mirzabaev
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:49
English to Russian
+ ...
No Aug 31, 2018

Who would have thought life would pull such a trick on me...?

[Edited at 2018-08-31 00:42 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 31, 2018

Like Barbara, I decided I wanted to be a translator when I first started studying Spanish in school. I think I was 13 at the time.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
No Aug 31, 2018

The idea to translate did not really occur to me before I was 40 years old, or something in that range.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Wellington Lima
Wellington Lima
Brazil
Local time: 17:49
English to Portuguese
No Aug 31, 2018

I've never thought about it.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
No - but I wanted to know lots of languages Aug 31, 2018

And I wanted to be a writer (or journalist)

So since I spend about 1/3 of my time writing (and getting some published too) and do know several languages, I guess one could say I'm living out my childhood dreams.

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you want to work in translation/interpreting when you were a kid?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »