Poll: If my work this week were made into a movie, it would be a:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 16:38
English to German
Other Dec 13, 2018

A rollercoaster "onride" video on an amateur theme-park channel on YouTube. Lots of ups and downs, the camera a bit wobbly, and a lot more screaming and semi-convinced fear than is actually warranted by the situation. With a few blinking xmas lights around the edges.

@Philippe Etienne: Now what was that famous movie again about a person who suffers a full memory loss? I know there is one, but I can't remember its name.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Ricki Dec 13, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
Now what was that famous movie again about a person who suffers a full memory loss? I know there is one, but I can't remember its name.

Before I go to sleep?

Ricki Farn

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Martial Arts Dec 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqzEkvinh4

(Plus, I will actually be translating subtitles for a martial arts movie over the weekend.)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Which one? Dec 13, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:

Now what was that famous movie again about a person who suffers a full memory loss? I know there is one, but
I can't remember its name.

The Bourne Identity? Memento? Amnesiac?

Ricki Farn

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dear oh dear Dec 13, 2018

Ricki Farn wrote:
Now what was that famous movie again about a person who suffers a full memory loss? I know there is one, but I can't remember its name.

Got me!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
A silent movie soon to become Looney Tunes Dec 13, 2018

Not a lot happened this week, but it looks set to change. There are a couple of normal requests coming in but one or two odd ones too.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sweets... Dec 14, 2018

I've been working on a text about sweets in the Middle Ages, so it could be a total epic, showing how people travelled far and wide to bring back precious ingredients, that clumsy confectioner who dropped his almonds in a jar of honey and realised he was on to something when he tasted what he fished out, people experimenting with adding egg white to nougat and accidentally changing its colour, and the guy who made a sour queen smile with his new recipe for marzipan...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A fisco in terms of audience Dec 18, 2018

Very boring.

Gabriela Hebin
Gabriela Hebin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
An action movie with a lot of chase scenes... Dec 18, 2018

...complete with cars smashing through vegetable stands.

Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feel-good girlie movie with some crime - suspense elements Dec 18, 2018

I would only go details about the second part...3 orders from 3 different private emails trying to get me in the "I accidently overpaid your service, please, send me back the difference" scheme, insisting on bank transfer, as payment method of advance payment for the work. The scammers - unlike earlier cases - used good English, had US contact info, one of them, "Mike Grey" even a Proz profile (which has since disappeared) and sounded quite professional.
In Mike Grey's case I went along,
... See more
I would only go details about the second part...3 orders from 3 different private emails trying to get me in the "I accidently overpaid your service, please, send me back the difference" scheme, insisting on bank transfer, as payment method of advance payment for the work. The scammers - unlike earlier cases - used good English, had US contact info, one of them, "Mike Grey" even a Proz profile (which has since disappeared) and sounded quite professional.
In Mike Grey's case I went along, and let the transfer come to my account. The amount was 4 times the amount due! a telltale sign that something is fishy. I went to my bank, asked to investigate, and the deposit check used in the New Jersey bank turned out to be fake.
In the second and third case the persons also sounded professional, indistinguishable from a real client. To save time I just asked right ahead: can you pay by Paypal? "No, sorry, I always use bank transfer/Transferwise." End of communication.
Be careful!

[Edited at 2018-12-18 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Parviz Rassouli
Parviz Rassouli
Iran
Local time: 18:08
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Gangster Movie Dec 18, 2018

Relaxing, patient, and comfortable handling of the most dangerous action in the world

Dimitar Dimitrov
Dimitar Dimitrov
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:38
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Just an empty screen... Dec 18, 2018

Unfortunately...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If my work this week were made into a movie, it would be a:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »