Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many direct clients do you have?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 11:31
ProZ.com team
Hats'R'Us Apr 23, 2019

Thanks @Maxi

Funnily enough, I like this hat too. It's the one that I've been wearing for ten years of course.

I won't be playing much of a role in terms of site moderation, so this hat fits.

Besides my label is about to change to "ProZ.com Team" which is nicely ambiguous and allows me to play both roles without offending anyone, (I hope)

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I've had many and I don't have any Apr 24, 2019

That's exactly the issue with direct clients. They are great, but they are usually one-timers or for a short while. You really can't count on direct clients and discard the agencies, no matter how good the former are or how bad the latter are.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
More than 75% of my active client base Apr 24, 2019

I receive work from about 7 international organizations, which account for more than 75% of my *current* client base and about 90% of the volume. The work flow with agencies is much less consistent. They are usually looking for my Portuguese, whereas most of my workload with international organizations is from Spanish. If I include one-offs and some agencies that I can go a long time without hearing from them and then suddenly appear, then it's a different picture: there are more than 65 client... See more
I receive work from about 7 international organizations, which account for more than 75% of my *current* client base and about 90% of the volume. The work flow with agencies is much less consistent. They are usually looking for my Portuguese, whereas most of my workload with international organizations is from Spanish. If I include one-offs and some agencies that I can go a long time without hearing from them and then suddenly appear, then it's a different picture: there are more than 65 clients on that list.

[Edited at 2019-04-24 06:23 GMT]
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
Czech to French
+ ...
About 25% in number, 35% in turnover Apr 24, 2019

… YTD, considering only "active" clients (i.e., those I have worked for this year). To me, direct clients generate MORE turnover than agencies on average, but this is due to some large direct clients and a lot of agencies very small to me (sometimes one-off jobs in rather rare language pairs). And to the fact that I have been turning down a lot of work from agencies, which, of course, I never do in case of direct clients.

Muriel Vasconcellos

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many direct clients do you have?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »