Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have your ever done a big translation for free?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Kamal Idkaidek
Kamal Idkaidek  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
Miembro 2019
hebreo al inglés
+ ...
Pro bono translation Jun 10, 2021

Yes, I did in the last 2 years participate in translating life saving material due to the the pandemic.

I wouldn't do it differently.

Speaking of TWB, I had a request from them to translate documents for Save the Children USA. Why would an INGO like them want a free translation!!

They have a budget for that and have branches all over the world.

I'm reluctant to such requests.

I hope those who donate their time consider to whom the
... See more
Yes, I did in the last 2 years participate in translating life saving material due to the the pandemic.

I wouldn't do it differently.

Speaking of TWB, I had a request from them to translate documents for Save the Children USA. Why would an INGO like them want a free translation!!

They have a budget for that and have branches all over the world.

I'm reluctant to such requests.

I hope those who donate their time consider to whom they donate it.

Power to the words, but we're not fools!
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
frz

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 04:51
francés al inglés
. Jun 10, 2021

Yes, I did a very long report on Afghan refugees in Pakistan, for a humanitarian NGO helping them repatriate.

This was in 2001... and I was translating it, watching news reports of US troops invading Afghanistan, and lines of refugees fleeing the country, AGAIN. It was heart-breaking.

P.L.F. Persio

neilmac
neilmac
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Why not? Jun 10, 2021

Michael Harris wrote:

Why would you do a large project for free?

Altrusim, charity, the milk of human kindness. - or simply being a human being who cares about others.

You might even simply approach it like the old question "Why does a dog lick its genitals?" (Because it can).

P.L.F. Persio

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Alemania
alemán al italiano
+ ...
I also translate for TWB! :) Jun 10, 2021

I am here too!

I also translate for TWB and started at the end of April and completing a lot of medical texts and other texts of different fields of expertise.

So yes, there still are translators working for TWB here.

Alison Jenner
Alison Jenner  Identity Verified
Suiza
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Pro bono translations Jun 10, 2021

Yes, I have done pro bono translation work for TWB, ASF and some others, particularly after I'd just graduated and was building up some experience, and I occasionally still do when I have time. However, they are non-profit organisations. I wouldn't do a long translation for free for just anyone. I need to make a living!

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 23:51
Miembro 2014
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Quite a few Jun 10, 2021

First of all because I translate for TWB, for good causes.
I also translated the MemoQ manual to Portuguese, to learn how to use the CAT, and it was a great "investment".
But I won't translate pro-bono for friends/family, churches and other opportunists. That's something I've never done and hopefully never will.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2006
alemán al inglés
See my other answer Jun 11, 2021

neilmac wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:

Why would you do a large project for free?

Altrusim, charity, the milk of human kindness. - or simply being a human being who cares about others.

You might even simply approach it like the old question "Why does a dog lick its genitals?" (Because it can).

P.L.F. Persio

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have your ever done a big translation for free?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »