Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you feel your work affects your family life or home life?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:56
German to English
Positive effect Nov 11, 2021

The flexibility of freelancing allowed me the opportunity to take my young daughter to various music and ballet lessons. While waiting for her I was able to do a lot of recreational reading. Everyone was happy.

P.L.F. Persio

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 18:56
Greek to English
+ ...
Too many factors Nov 11, 2021

Depends on many factors. As an additional (optional) income source, it can help the life of a family or an individual. If this job becomes necessary, it can destroy family/social life with unpredictable schedules, overnight work etc. If one doesn't have/doesn't want a family, the best place in the US to do this job is a tiny village in Arkansas (low energy cost, low rent, low taxes), because he/she won't develop any community ties anyway, regardless of where they live.

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 01:56
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Sure does. Nov 11, 2021

When I was an employee, my shift had a clear start and ending time. As a freelancer, I feel like I'm expected to be available on demand, weekends and holidays included.
Right now it's fine, as I mainly work on long-term projects, but it's trickier when I have urgent requests. I have to turn them down, most of the time.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
There are many different approaches to the freelance life Nov 11, 2021

I supported a family of four on freelance translation earnings almost entirely from agencies.

I did not work overnight or let work interfere with my social life.

Quite the opposite. I had the freedom to do a big share of the parenting and take up new hobbies. I rarely worked more than four days in a week.

I gave my clients clear boundaries and they respected them. I had the balls to say no to silly prices and silly deadlines. I acted like a professional an
... See more
I supported a family of four on freelance translation earnings almost entirely from agencies.

Quite the opposite. I had the freedom to do a big share of the parenting and take up new hobbies. I rarely worked more than four days in a week.

I gave my clients clear boundaries and they respected them. I had the balls to say no to silly prices and silly deadlines. I acted like a professional and was treated like one.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Kevin Fulton
Carmen Lanzrein

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:56
English to Turkish
Inspiring Nov 14, 2021

Ice Scream wrote:

Do you think this can still be done in the UK with a language pair that fetches no more than 7-8 cents per word?

[Edited at 2021-11-14 20:16 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 14, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

Do you think this still can be done in the UK with a language pair that fetches no more than 7-8 cents per word?

I don’t know whether or not to take that at face value😂😂

But yes, why not? 6p x 15000 x 45 = plenty

But it pays to get good at choosing work that brings in more. Flotations, interim reports, etc can have lots of free words even in the CAT era. Or make them dependent on you and then raise your prices.

I refuse to accept that my modest success has been entirely down to luck, language pair and/or linguistic brilliance.

Baran Keki

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
German to French
off topic Nov 17, 2021

What about family life affecting work life and not the way around?

Helena Chavarria

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel your work affects your family life or home life?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »