Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Can we have a poll to find out how translators are doing financially?
Thread poster: Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:50
Chinese
Jan 30, 2023

Can we have a poll to find out how established translators are doing financially, compared to the average income of their country of residence as indicated in this table: https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

By established translators I mean those that have been in this industry for some years and mainly rely on translation for their livelihood. Such polls are easy to g
... See more
Can we have a poll to find out how established translators are doing financially, compared to the average income of their country of residence as indicated in this table: https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php

By established translators I mean those that have been in this industry for some years and mainly rely on translation for their livelihood. Such polls are easy to give a distorted picture if we lump the established translators together with the others who are still trying to find their foot. So there must be one selection for those that are still getting established.

For example, I live in Australia. My income from translation is about 66% of the average annual income of my country of residence (which is $57170 as per that table).
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The truth Jan 30, 2023

I wouldn't expect respondents to tell the truth.

Mr. Satan (X)
Rachel Waddington
Daryo
Nikolay Novitskiy
Matthias Brombach
Laura Kingdon
Bernhard Sulzer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Submit a poll suggestion then! Jan 30, 2023

I make about 50% more than the UK average FWIW.

Although obviously I must be lying.

Baran Keki
Matthias Brombach

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 12:50
SITE STAFF
I'm not sure how that would look as a quick poll Jan 30, 2023

I'm not sure how that would work in a quick poll, though there have been polls asking about related issues, on a general level.

Last year's industry report, https://www.proz.com/industry-report/ , also includes a section where issues like income, savings capacity, etc. are discussed.

I would expect similar-ish questions to appear in surveys that will help build this year'
... See more
I'm not sure how that would work in a quick poll, though there have been polls asking about related issues, on a general level.

Last year's industry report, https://www.proz.com/industry-report/ , also includes a section where issues like income, savings capacity, etc. are discussed.

I would expect similar-ish questions to appear in surveys that will help build this year's report as well.
Collapse

Guofei_LIN
Australia
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
something like this Jan 31, 2023

Jared Tabor wrote:

I'm not sure how that would work in a quick poll

Something like this:

I'm established as a translator and my income from translation is xx% of the average income in my country (average income figure as per https://www.worlddata.info/average-income.php) :

1. 50%-60% higher than the national average income;
2. 30%-40% higher than the national average income;
3. 10%-20% higher than the national average income;
4. Same as the national average income;
5. 10%-20% lower than the national average income;

Christopher Schröder
Thomas Johansson

Mark Somers
Mark Somers
Belgium
Local time: 17:50
Member (2017)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Less work from established clients Jan 31, 2023

Well, what I've noticed over the last four months,
is a decline in work from regular customers, who are all complaining about less work.
Is anybody else noticing this, or is it just me?

I expect people to tell the truth, btw, or otherwise not say anything at all.

Guofei_LIN
Fabrice Ndie
Nurettin Ceylan
Peter van der Hoek
Paul Wood
Ligia Dias Costa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 31, 2023

Mark Somers wrote:

is a decline in work from regular customers, who are all complaining about less work.

Why would anyone lie? This is the third time in the last few days I've seen a comment like that. I find it irritating tbh.

No, I have not noticed a decrease in work from regular customers.

Angie Garbarino

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Enchanted Jan 31, 2023

Mark Somers wrote:

It's because direct clients are enchanted with the idea of DeepL (while keeping the translation budget as their pocket money or bonus money). Your client may be using people cheaper than you to proofread the DeepL output (talking about honesty, your client is not being honest, most likely). Or it may be that direct clients don't think it's necessary to proofread it at all (in which case your client is completely honest).

Ligia Dias Costa

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lying Jan 31, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Mark Somers wrote:

Why would anyone lie? This is the third time in the last few days I've seen a comment like that. I find it irritating tbh.

No, I have not noticed a decrease in work from regular customers.

Even if people don't lie, you won't necessarily get an accurate response. People tend to be happier publically celebrating their successes than sharing their failures.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Jorge Payan
Kay Denney
Laurent Di Raimondo
Mr. Satan (X)
Ludovicap

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Honestly Jan 31, 2023

Rachel Waddington wrote:
Even if people don't lie, you won't necessarily get an accurate response. People tend to be happier publically celebrating their successes than sharing their failures.

Publicly maybe, but not if it's an anonymous poll.

That said, the occasional people who celebrate their successes on here rather than moaning constantly are generally shot down in flames...

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Dan Lucas
Lieven Malaise

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:50
English to Turkish
Down in flames Jan 31, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
That said, the occasional people who celebrate their successes on here rather than moaning constantly are generally shot down in flames...

That guy who claimed he broke the $100k record a few years back caused a bit of an uproar, didn't he? Some waxed lyrical about his toil and success as I remember. Point taken though

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Dan Lucas
Lingua 5B
Tom in London

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Jan 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
That guy who claimed he broke the $100k record a few years back caused a bit of an uproar, didn't he? Some waxed lyrical about his toil and success as I remember. Point taken though

... wasn't it 100,000 in JMD?

Baran Keki
Tom in London

Guofei_LIN
Australia
Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sure he hit the $100k mark Jan 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

But I think we learn more from the reaction of the community regarding the reality of the current market situation than we can learn from one individual's experience which may be a statistical anomaly.

[Edited at 2023-01-31 23:17 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Tom in London

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I think I can remember Jan 31, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

He wanted to show me his Instagram photos to prove his wealth. Anyway, hope he's doing great, he's a nice guy. And he knows we made a joke out of it just for fun.

There were a couple of colleagues who reported $500k annual peak for some years. I wouldn't think it's impossible with the right location, language pair, specialty and methodology. The problem with this is when I write something like this on the board, some newbie is reading this and will jump to join ProZ hoping to become a millionaire. Then in a month or two down the road, they will open a thread here shocked at the lowball offers.

Jorge Payan
Baran Keki
Tom in London
Eleanor Odhiambo
Laurent Di Raimondo

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
60% Feb 1, 2023

Last year I earned 60% more than the average national income in Belgium.

January 2023 turned out to be okay, but I had to compensate a slow period with very (too) hard work and my monthly income for January (assuming it would be average over the coming year) wouldn't be enough to achieve the figure above once again by the end of the year.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we have a poll to find out how translators are doing financially?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »