Poll: How old were you when you realized you wanted to be a translator/interpreter?
论题张贴者: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
网站工作人员
Apr 6

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How old were you when you realized you wanted to be a translator/interpreter?".

This poll was originally submitted by Iulia Parvu. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
葡萄牙
Local time: 15:31
正式会员 (自2007)
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
31 to 40 Apr 6

I never actually decided to become a translator. Translation found me quite late in life (my late 30s). It started as a complement to my full-time work. I translated part-time for a good while, then worked as staff translator at an EU institution for 20 years and retired in 2006. I have been freelancing since…

Iulia Parvu
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
比利时
Local time: 16:31
正式会员 (自2020)
French法语译成Dutch荷兰语
+ ...
Under 18 Apr 6

From the age of 12 to 18 I studied Greek and Latin, which involved a lot of translation. I wasn't very good at it until one day (I must have been like 17 years old) I got some sort of aha-experience and everything fell into place. I remember it felt like I had cracked some complex code and it felt great. From that moment on I knew I was going to become a translator and so I did. I've never regretted it since. Despite all the challenges from the past 24 years and the future I'm still doing great.

Angie Garbarino
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Iulia Parvu

patransword
patransword
德国
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
. Apr 6

I didn't really decide - I wanted to go to art school or study languages. Did languages at uni and then got a job as a PM, hated it, then got offered an in-house job in Barcelona and that's how it started. Nearly 20 years ago now... I also ended up going to art school later in life and now combine both: www.pauladie.com for those interested.

I'm now wondering how the next 20 years of my career will d
... See more
I didn't really decide - I wanted to go to art school or study languages. Did languages at uni and then got a job as a PM, hated it, then got offered an in-house job in Barcelona and that's how it started. Nearly 20 years ago now... I also ended up going to art school later in life and now combine both: www.pauladie.com for those interested.

I'm now wondering how the next 20 years of my career will develop.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
正式会员 (自2003)
French法语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
Under 18 Apr 6

Not only, under 14.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Iulia Parvu
Kay Denney

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French法语译成English英语
"want" Apr 6

I've never "wanted" to work for a living.
I was in my 30s when I realised translation was something I could tolerate

patransword
Dan Lucas
Kevin Fulton
Iulia Parvu
Philip Lees
Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
葡萄牙
正式会员 (自2015)
+ ...
10 Apr 6

It all started when I was 10 and began learning English.
I wanted to have a profession that involved languages.
At first I wanted to pursue international journalism and be a special envoy and/or foreign correspondent, or translator.
I didn't study journalism because there wasn't a public university at the time. So I went to the Faculdade Letras da Universidade do Porto and chose translation.
I do not regret the decision I made. I love what I do!

[Edited at 2024-0
... See more
It all started when I was 10 and began learning English.
I wanted to have a profession that involved languages.
At first I wanted to pursue international journalism and be a special envoy and/or foreign correspondent, or translator.
I didn't study journalism because there wasn't a public university at the time. So I went to the Faculdade Letras da Universidade do Porto and chose translation.
I do not regret the decision I made. I love what I do!

[Edited at 2024-04-06 14:26 GMT]
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Iulia Parvu
Angie Garbarino

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
正式会员 (自2010)
+ ...
Under 18 Apr 6

... I finished highschool at 16 and wanted to be a translator and conference interpreter for the UN, so I enrolled at the translator/interpreter school in Lisbon (ISLA) that summer (1970). I had turned 17 by the time school started.

After two years (it was a 3-year course), those in my class (including myself) who wanted to do the interpretation course took a very, very, very brief test and all of us failed the test. It turns out the teachers who conducted that test were, themselves
... See more
... I finished highschool at 16 and wanted to be a translator and conference interpreter for the UN, so I enrolled at the translator/interpreter school in Lisbon (ISLA) that summer (1970). I had turned 17 by the time school started.

After two years (it was a 3-year course), those in my class (including myself) who wanted to do the interpretation course took a very, very, very brief test and all of us failed the test. It turns out the teachers who conducted that test were, themselves, part of a very small team of interpreters in Lisbon that got/grabbed all the good jobs and, apparently, they did not really want any local competition at that time...

My Father then said I could do the course in Heidelberg or Geneva but, by then, I was more interested in finishing my studies here (as a translator) in Lisbon and starting to earn money and becoming independent. End of story...

[Edited at 2024-04-06 18:33 GMT]
Collapse

Iulia Parvu

Daryo
Daryo
英国
Serbian塞尔维亚语译成English英语
+ ...
I never "wanted" to be an interpreter Apr 7

It just happened that by pure accident I discovered that I'm pretty good at it, and as it was more interesting that other options requiring knowing more than one language, I stayed around.

[Edited at 2024-04-07 08:03 GMT]

IrinaN
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
英国
正式会员 (自2011)
Swedish瑞典语译成English英语
+ ...
21 Apr 8

After dossing about for three years at university waiting in vain to be approached by MI6, I applied in desperation to a number of merchant banks but then decided I couldn't bear to be around all those Hooray Henrys any longer, and translation was the only thing I could think of.

It turned out to be a good decision. I'm not cut out for having a boss and working 9-5. Or operating miniature cameras and remembering codewords. Although I am pretty good at blowing up secret missile bases
... See more
After dossing about for three years at university waiting in vain to be approached by MI6, I applied in desperation to a number of merchant banks but then decided I couldn't bear to be around all those Hooray Henrys any longer, and translation was the only thing I could think of.

It turned out to be a good decision. I'm not cut out for having a boss and working 9-5. Or operating miniature cameras and remembering codewords. Although I am pretty good at blowing up secret missile bases.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
丹麦
正式会员 (自2003)
Danish丹麦语译成English英语
+ ...
Into my 40s Apr 8

I spent my early childhood with my parents discussing languages over meals, and hearing a variety of languages in town. When I was sent to school in England, I made the big mistake of coming top in the first Latin exam. It was sheer luck! I could not cope with the teacher's sense of humour, and I could not keep it up - I have never come top in anything before or since. Fifty years later, I can still see her neat, red handwriting at the bottom of my exercises: You can do better. In fact I ... See more
I spent my early childhood with my parents discussing languages over meals, and hearing a variety of languages in town. When I was sent to school in England, I made the big mistake of coming top in the first Latin exam. It was sheer luck! I could not cope with the teacher's sense of humour, and I could not keep it up - I have never come top in anything before or since. Fifty years later, I can still see her neat, red handwriting at the bottom of my exercises: You can do better. In fact I tried really hard, but it was never good enough.
I liked French and picked up German fast, so everyone thought I was good at languages, but I was NOT interested. All I wanted was to get into medical school and be a doctor, but it was not to be.

As a compromise I became a librarian, and then met and married a Dane. He tried unsuccessfully to land a job in the UK, but was offered a good one in Copenhagen with a couple of trips to Nigeria, so I had to pick up Danish and manage without him when he was off on his travels.

The Danish libraries did not need me, so I minded children and worked in the home-care service among other things. All the while going to night school to try to qualify for a more stable job - unemployment was high back then!
I gradually considered reviving my French and German - the Business School would not recognise my English degree, but accepted my mediochre A Levels and a Danish exam.

I was well past 40 and had been fired once again from the home services: I needed to find something else. By a chance in a million I got an in-house job with a translation agency, and discovered it was not so bad after all. In fact everyone was very kind, and I had really landed on the right shelf, as the Danes say. That lasted nearly five years, and I have been freelancing since.

And now, past retiring age, I am still here!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How old were you when you realized you wanted to be a translator/interpreter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »