Poll: Early-career language professionals should focus mostly on ...
מפרסם התגובה: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
צוות האתר
Jul 28

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Early-career language professionals should focus mostly on ...".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
פורטוגל
Local time: 23:24
חבר (2007)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
Other Jul 28

1. Improving language proficiency
2. Learning to use translation tools/software
3. Marketing
4. Deciding on either developing knowledge in a range of subjects or specializing in a specific industry or field
5. Everything in between…

neilmac
Josephine Cassar
Dan Lucas

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
גרמניה
Local time: 00:24
חבר (2007)
מהולנדית לגרמנית
+ ...
...should focus mostly on... Jul 28

...other sources of income (e.g. becoming a language teacher, being married with a husband with an income sufficient for two persons, focus on a carrier as an interpreter or as a lecturer for future language professionals who better should focus mostly on (see above)...

Rachel Waddington
Philippe Etienne
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Angie Garbarino
maryblack
P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Other Jul 28

... realising they have a made a dreadful mistake, and finding another way to make a living.

There's nothing wrong with having it as part of an ongoing portfolio, of course, but I really don't see anyone in their 20s being able to make enough money solely from translating from now until retirement.

Jennifer Levey
Kevin Fulton
IrinaN
Fabricio Díaz Serna
Rachel Waddington
neilmac
Philippe Etienne

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 18:24
מגרמנית לאנגלית
Other 01:00

They have to realize that they're business people, not artists, and that their business is translation.

Jennifer Levey
IrinaN
Patricia Prevost
Lieven Malaise
B&B FinTrans
Philippe Etienne
Christine Andersen

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
בלגיה
חבר (2020)
מצרפתית להולנדית
+ ...
Other 06:02

... building up experience through an inhouse position.

And after that:
1) accept as many translations from as many specialization areas as possible.
2) endless repeat.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
הממלכה המאוחדת
מהולנדית לאנגלית
+ ...
One focus 07:25

There is no one thing you need to be focussing on, you need to focus on all the things if you are going to be successful (if success is even possible any more).

Mostly my advice would be to go and do something with more of a future. Or at least, go and do something else for a while - this will help your translation and give you more options.

Matthias Brombach
Christine Andersen
Josephine Cassar
Dan Lucas
Elaine Ruby
Kevin Fulton

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
Based on this site… 08:49

… losing the attitude.

Mind you, I was the same.

P.L.F. Persio

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
בלגיה
חבר (2020)
מצרפתית להולנדית
+ ...
Forgot something 09:34

Provided you've built up a few years of experience inhouse or by starting as a parttime translator (personal opinion: getting straight into the fulltime freelancing business is a terrible idea):

- Ignore these forums

It's a depressing place with advice all over the place, meaning it's mostly worthless for people who are looking for more or less clear answers.

Find your own way. I can only be happy that I didn't get involved with Proz earlier than 4 years ag
... See more
Provided you've built up a few years of experience inhouse or by starting as a parttime translator (personal opinion: getting straight into the fulltime freelancing business is a terrible idea):

- Ignore these forums

It's a depressing place with advice all over the place, meaning it's mostly worthless for people who are looking for more or less clear answers.

Find your own way. I can only be happy that I didn't get involved with Proz earlier than 4 years ago. If I would have read all this doom and gloom nonsense when I just started out, I would probably have shot myself.

Running a freelance business isn't rocket science: you establish an acceptable rate (use the internet, ask for quotes if you have to) and you start hitting agencies and direct clients at will through the proper channels with the proper, flawless communication (if you need any advice on this, go do something else). Then you deliver quality work again and again. Of course you also need commercial feeling, knowhing how low or how high you can set your rates, knowing how to properly communicate with people in a business environment, etcetera), but that's somehting you already have or never will have.

(Disclaimer: yes, I'm aware of the fact that I just gave advice while stating that any advice on these forums is more or less worthless 😂)
Collapse

Diana Llorente
Iulia Parvu
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
מצרפתית לאנגלית
Ah yes 10:24

Christopher Schröder wrote:

… losing the attitude.

Mind you, I was the same.

She's priceless. Masters in Basket Weaving but hasn't researched the likely revenue per basket, nor been taught, it now emerges, the tools almost every basketweaver uses, and doesn't know that in many markets, no-one uses baskets any more anyway.

P.L.F. Persio
Thayenga
Christopher Schröder

Luis M. Sosa
Luis M. Sosa  Identity Verified
אקוודור
Local time: 17:24
חבר (2018)
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Wonder if 13:04

starters/younger members are reading this(these) poll(s).

Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Early-career language professionals should focus mostly on ...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »