Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2010

I would like your advice on choosing between postgraduate translation courses. Obviously the universities prospectus can tell you about the course content and whether it is academic or practical, but how can you tell which is more highly regarded?

The universities I am most interested in are Portsmouth and Bristol.

Thanks

Katherine Osgood (X)
Katherine Osgood (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
Arabic to English
Univ. Portsmouth Jan 18, 2010

Hi Louise!

I started the MA in Translation Studies at Portsmouth Uni last September (I'm actually doing it via distance learning as I'm based in the US) and personally I've had a super experience so far. My pathway is Arabic to English and even though there are only a few students doing that pathway it has been great exchanging ideas, thoughts and getting feedback from them and the other students on the course. Obviously I can't speak professionally as I'm only a student (and just s
... See more
Hi Louise!

I started the MA in Translation Studies at Portsmouth Uni last September (I'm actually doing it via distance learning as I'm based in the US) and personally I've had a super experience so far. My pathway is Arabic to English and even though there are only a few students doing that pathway it has been great exchanging ideas, thoughts and getting feedback from them and the other students on the course. Obviously I can't speak professionally as I'm only a student (and just starting out!) but I've learnt so much from the course already, and feel that the topics covered and high quality of the teaching (even online!) is well worth it. I'm excited to spend the next year or so completing it and then starting my professional career as a translator (insha'allah!)

Good luck with your studies!

Katherine
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:31
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks a lot... and a couple of questions Jan 19, 2010

Katherine Osgood wrote:
I started the MA in Translation Studies at Portsmouth Uni last September (I'm actually doing it via distance learning as I'm based in the US) and personally I've had a super experience so far.

Hi Katherine. This is tremendously interesting information.

As I am already a full-time translator and my available time is rather scarce most of the year, can you tell me how many hours per week are you currently devoting to the MA's units? How many units are you doing at a time? I would like to assess if I am at all able to dedicate enough time to the MA.

Tuition fees sound quite reasonable to me.

willrimmer
willrimmer
Germany
German to English
University of Surrey at Guildford Jan 19, 2010

Hi,
I'm currently studying a MA Translation at Surrey University. I know it is not one of your listed choices but I thought I could tell you a bit anyhow!

The course here is a good mish mash of both academic and practical options: there are plenty of different modules, and though you have to take at least one academic/theory based module, that can be all - I'm currently taking modules in business translation, scientific/technical translation, persuasive writing (analysis of t
... See more
Hi,
I'm currently studying a MA Translation at Surrey University. I know it is not one of your listed choices but I thought I could tell you a bit anyhow!

The course here is a good mish mash of both academic and practical options: there are plenty of different modules, and though you have to take at least one academic/theory based module, that can be all - I'm currently taking modules in business translation, scientific/technical translation, persuasive writing (analysis of translation as a persuasive medium) and then technical writing (course on improving my EN technical abilities) alongside a theory module.

One thing I would say against Surrey is that the campus is quite small, and the library is representative of that (I've studied at Leeds University, so this criticism might need taking with a pinch of salt!), however the books you need seem to be there, and exam periods aside, its never too busy that you can't find a seat or computer.

Hope this helps in some shape or form...
Collapse

Louise Souter (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Portsmouth it is Jan 20, 2010

Since I first posted this topic I have been offered a place on the DL course at Portsmouth which I have accepted.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck! Jan 20, 2010

Louise Souter wrote:
Since I first posted this topic I have been offered a place on the DL course at Portsmouth which I have accepted.

Good luck with it then Louise. I was considering the distance learning option of the same MA.

Please do keep us posted about how well it goes and whether you are happy about it!

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Long-distance course in Legal translations at the City University in London Jan 20, 2010

H!
I am a full-time translator for legal translations and Company Secretary.
I am currently in my second year studying a MA in Legal Translations at the City University in London. This is a part-time long distance course for the language comobanation English from/into German, French, Spanish and Polish.
I am on the guinea pig course as this is only the second year they are running this kind of event.
The first year was very busy as they had no experience at all on how muc
... See more
H!
I am a full-time translator for legal translations and Company Secretary.
I am currently in my second year studying a MA in Legal Translations at the City University in London. This is a part-time long distance course for the language comobanation English from/into German, French, Spanish and Polish.
I am on the guinea pig course as this is only the second year they are running this kind of event.
The first year was very busy as they had no experience at all on how much work they could expect from us. But now they have sorted it out according to our suggestions.
The course is designed for legal secretaries, legal professionals, translators and all kinds of linguists.
You do not have to write a dissertation and you could end with a diploma instead.
They teach different modules on all sorts of legal areas, but unfortunately no criminal law, which is a shame, if you ask me.
The course is priced at around £4300 and you have to attend 4 days of personal tuition at the University at the beginning of every module. (8 Modules in total for a diploma or 9 for a MA degree)
I think you have to invest about 15 hours every week for your coursework, the preparation of the assignments and the reading you are supposed to do in advance if you are no trained professional on the legal issues in the next module. This makes it easier for me as I have German and English legal exams and worked for years in the legal 'industry' in Germany and here in England. So my preparation is sometimes fairly short. The lectures are comprising of law lectures in your source and target language and different aspects of legal language, translation theory and research methodology as well as lectures on how to use CAT tools on the example of Across.

If anyone needs more information, please contact me via my proz profile.

The first year was very hard work as they had no idea on the workload they supposed us to deal with but this is now a resolved matter after all.
Collapse

Katherine Osgood (X)
Katherine Osgood (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
Arabic to English
Portsmouth! Jan 21, 2010

Good luck Louise!! Maybe I will see you virtually on the course! When are you starting?

Tomas - I currently only take one unit per semester as I work full time. This means that I should finish it within three years which I think is pretty typical for a distance learner. It has been great so far but definitely challenging balancing the course and work! I would say I probably do anywhere between 8 - 16 hours per week, a
... See more
Good luck Louise!! Maybe I will see you virtually on the course! When are you starting?

Tomas - I currently only take one unit per semester as I work full time. This means that I should finish it within three years which I think is pretty typical for a distance learner. It has been great so far but definitely challenging balancing the course and work! I would say I probably do anywhere between 8 - 16 hours per week, although this week and next I am doing a lot more because I have an essay due!

Despite the hours, I have to say I absolutely love the course and am so pleased I started it - I am just a beginner in the translation world so it has been super for me. I would definitely encourage you to go for it!

Good luck everyone!
Collapse

Louise Souter (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
February Jan 21, 2010

Maybe I will see you virtually on the course! When are you starting?

[/quote]

I start in the second week of February.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing a postgrad (UK)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »