Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

G'day everyone

Usenet groups often have a test subgroup where people can send test messages. This is useful for testing your newsreader and to see if your fonts work and to see if your RTF or HTML works etc. Or just to experiment and get to know your tool.

I think a Test forum for ProZ.com would be nice idea. Just now I wanted to post a query about Kurdish in Arabic script but I was unsure about whether the text would come out right. It would have been nice if I cou
... See more
G'day everyone

Usenet groups often have a test subgroup where people can send test messages. This is useful for testing your newsreader and to see if your fonts work and to see if your RTF or HTML works etc. Or just to experiment and get to know your tool.

I think a Test forum for ProZ.com would be nice idea. Just now I wanted to post a query about Kurdish in Arabic script but I was unsure about whether the text would come out right. It would have been nice if I could post a test post to a Test forum to see if the characters survive the post or not, and whether I had to find some way of escaping it.

ProZ.com uses a limited set of HTML and BBCode too, and it may be nice for people to experiment somewhere. If someone posts a message in the forums and their post is broken because they unwittingly used some HTML in it, people can respond by pointing them to the Test forum where they can experiment without fear and figure out how to do it right.

One can set the Test forum to delete all threads every 24 hours (except perhaps the latest ten, so show people what the Test forum is meant for), or alternatively from the bottom up so that there are no more than 10 threads at any given time. These posts should not be archived and preferably they should not be indexed by Google (if possible).

Your thoughts?
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Preview Oct 22, 2008

But that's just what the preview feature is for, isn't it?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to tectranslate Oct 22, 2008

tectranslate wrote:
But that's just what the preview feature is for, isn't it?

True in a way, but the preview feature doesn't always give a good preview. For example, type < and > and do a preview, and I'm sure you'll see < and >, but the moment you post it, they are parsed and they no longer appear.

And in a Test forum, the "preview" is visible to all, and it remains visible long enough, so that one person can ask advice from another, with a link to his attempts in the Test forum.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
testing 123 Oct 22, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

preview feature doesn't always give a good preview. For example, type < and > and do a preview, and I'm sure you'll see < and >, but the moment you post it, they are parsed and they no longer appear.[/quote]
If that is so, I'll be amazed indeed. The preview parses embedded codes just fine, so I don't see why it wouldn't bork up the angled brackets just like the "post reply" button does.

And in a Test forum, the "preview" is visible to all, and it remains visible long enough, so that one person can ask advice from another, with a link to his attempts in the Test forum.

I'm not really opposed to the notion of a test forum, I'm just not convinced we need one.

P.S.: Seems they finally fixed the angled bracket bug < > Angled brackets galore (aha, single angled brackets work, but not multiple)>

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 03:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
RTL cursive Kurdish script - use Persian (Farsi), rather than Arabic settings Oct 22, 2008

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Greetings.

Re your comment ... "just now I wanted to post a query about Kurdish in Arabic script, but I was unsure about whether the text would come out right. It would have been nice if I could post a test post to a Test forum to see if the characters survive the post or not, and whether I had to find some way of escaping it.

If word-processing / typing into a RTL cursive Kurdish script - use the Persian (Farsi) language support settings, rather than Arabic settings.

The Kurdish and Persian scripts share six distinctive characters which Arabic does not support, and using Arabic language settings will yield incorrect and other characters.

Re a related subject => keyboards for RTL Kurdish and Persian (Farsi, or PF):

If you have only an English- Arabic keyboard (which seems the primary bilingual keyboard model available), it would be handy to print out the keyboard diagram from the MS website and use that for the correct keystrokes (after you have selected and set the PF support feature in your PC's OS). Use that diagram until you become accustomed (usually fairly soon after some daily use) to the corresponding keystrokes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic,
Kurdish (Kurmanci) and Persian
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2008-10-22 19:14]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Testing 1 Oct 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:
The preview parses embedded codes just fine, so I don't see why it wouldn't bork up the angled brackets just like the "post reply" button does.

Then forgive me for testing it here.

#: mu-plugins/rosetta.php:273 mu-plugins/rosetta.php:298
#, php-format
msgid "Invalid source %s! Should conform to the %s regular expression"
msgstr "سەرچاوەی هەڵە %s! پێویستە ڕێك بکەوێت بۆ %s دەربڕینێکی ڕێکوپێک"

#: mu-plugins/rosetta.php:284
#, php-format
msgid "Couldn’t copy %1$s to release dir %2$s"
msgstr "نەیتوان’ی ڕۆنووس کردنەوە %1$s بۆ دەرچوونی %2$s"

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TEST FAILED Oct 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
msgid "Couldn’t copy %1$s to release dir %2$s"
msgstr "نەیتوان’ی ڕۆنووس کردنەوە %1$s بۆ دەرچوونی %2$s"

In the above case, I had this (spaces added to prevent the forum software from parsing it):

In the edit box: C o u l d n & a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
In the preview: C o u l d n & a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
In the posted version: C o u l d n ’ t

And the whole point of the post was to ask a question about that character entity, which the ProZ.com forum software parsed even when I entitified the preceding ampersand.

So, be surprised.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Preview different than post? Oct 24, 2008

I just tried it and the & amp ; gets interpreted and converted to a & during the preview already.
I don't understand why that is not so for you...

Hmm. Maybe the ProZ.com team can shed some light on this (or finally implement a working [code] tag.)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... Oct 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:
I just tried it and the & amp ; gets interpreted and converted to a & during the preview already.

Yes, but I wanted the ampersand. What I did not want was the apostrophe.

==

& a m p ; gets converted to an ampersand. Here, let me type it:

&

(In the preview, the above is converted to an ampersand)

==

The question is... what does & a m p ; a m p ; get converted to? Surely it should not be converted to just an ampersand, but to an ampersand plus the word "amp" and a semi-colon. Let's try it:

&amp;

(Yes, in the preview, the above is converted to an ampersand plus the word "amp" and a semi-colon)

==

Now I'll post it, and we'll see how it turns out.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strange... Oct 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
Now I'll post it, and we'll see how it turns out.

Well, it turned out the way we wanted it. Now let me try some other entitites.

I'll try this:

& a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ;

Here it is (without spaces):

&#8217;

(The above in the preview is an ampersand, a has, 8217, and a semicolon)

Now I'm going to post it.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And... Oct 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

It still works as expected. Weird. There seems to be no pattern. Let me try it with my original words again:

C o u l d n & a m p ; a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn&amp;#8217;t

C o u l d n & a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn&#8217;t

C o u l d n & # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn’t

(I try this with the Preview and the the backbutton)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And... again Oct 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

It still works as expected. Weird. There seems to be no pattern. Let me try it with my original words again:

C o u l d n & a m p ; a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn&#8217;t

C o u l d n & a m p ; # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn’t

C o u l d n & # 8 2 1 7 ; t
Couldn’t

(I try this with the Preview and then the Post button)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha! Oct 24, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
(I try this with the Preview and then the Post button)

My second post turned out with the error.

Okay, first problem solved. If you do a Preview and then use the backbutton and then Post, the display is correct. But if you do a Preview and then use the Post button on the preview page, the code gets parsed.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Maybe I should have mentioned... Oct 24, 2008

...that I always use the back button or keep a copy of my text in the clipboard (force of habit, old versions of MSIE used to erase the text when going back).

The problem is that the text in the "Topic body" edit box is changed by the preview function. You cannot preview, edit and then post, but must preview, go back, edit and post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a Test forum?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »