Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]
Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)
Thread poster: ibz
ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally Mar 11

Finally, thank you.
I would find it interesting to get the number of disagrees to ChatGPT's answers as well which will show how useless this feature was.
Was the profile removed as well? If not, it should be.
Thank you.

Jennifer Levey
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees
Alison MacG
Kay Denney
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
ChatGPT KudoZ stats Mar 11

Here are the stats for ChatGPT in KudoZ:

ChatGPT_Stats

Regarding the profile, why should it be removed? I'm curious.

Lucia

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:41
German to English
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 11

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that the option to post KudoZ questions while having an answer generated by AI has been disabled.

Lucia

Thank you *very much* for taking this step and for updating us.

Philip Lees
Alison MacG
Kay Denney
expressisverbis
MollyRose

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:41
Greek to English
Bogus and wrong Mar 12

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Regarding the profile, why should it be removed? I'm curious.

Lucia

Sigh. How many times do we have to go over this?

The ChatGPT profile should be removed because it is completely bogus and because ChatGPT itself does not find it appropriate.

As I reported last August in the forum thread Lucia herself started (but clearly did not read), announcing this new "feature", on being told about its ProZ profile, ChatGPT responded:

I am an AI language model created by OpenAI, and I do not have personal experiences, emotions, or the ability to register on websites like ProZ.com. The information you mentioned about my registration and membership on ProZ.com is not accurate.

Furthermore, as regards the fake "Bio" in its profile, ChatGPT has a very different, and considerably more modest, assessment of its own abilities.

The reliability of my answers depends on the quality of the training data I've received and the patterns I've learned from it. I strive to provide accurate and helpful information, but I am not infallible. It's important for users to critically assess the information I provide and cross-reference it when necessary, especially for critical or sensitive tasks like professional translation.

While I can offer assistance and insights, it's always a good practice for human professionals to verify and validate any information or translation suggestions I provide, particularly in professional settings where accuracy is crucial.

So unless creating fake and inaccurate profiles for individuals who do not want them is going to be a feature of the new ProZ, this profile should be deleted forthwith.

ibz
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Becca Resnik
Christel Zipfel
Elizabeth Gomes
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
@ProZ team Mar 12

Thank you for removing this subpar ai tool!
It would be great to know your frank and objective opinion on the experience you have had, and how you see this experiment today.
As for the profile, I think I would keep it with archive purpose but telling there the entire story, which I think would be really useful and interesting.

expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Christel Zipfel

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 12

Thank you Lucia.
Could you maybe change the title of this discussion as you do occasionally when you're working on a problem raised in a discussion, something like "Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: duly removed)".
That way those who had lost hope and stopped reading this discussion will be happy to read the update.
Or else make an announcement in a new thread?

Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Sarah Elizabeth

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change of heading, please Mar 12

As the starter of this discussion I would like no change of heading, please. I do support the announcement of this information in a new thread, as proposed by Kay, as this would put this issue to the list of "recent forum posts".

[Modifié le 2024-03-12 15:23 GMT]

Jennifer Levey
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 22:41
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
At last! Thank you so much! Mar 12

Thank you so much for listening to us!

Alison MacG
Becca Resnik
Zea_Mays

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think that it was a good decision Mar 12

Thank you very much for taking it. I agree with the sentiment that every asker is able to get AI's answer without resorting to KudoZ.

Alison MacG
Becca Resnik
Zea_Mays
Fabio Descalzi

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good to hear, but ProZ is still hell-bent on promoting ChatGPT, which is still woeful, and I despair Mar 12

I've had extensive exposure to ChatGPT in the past week.

First, I watched a few talks in ProZ's AI Expo: two on CAT tools that use AI, one on free AI tools, one on ProZ's own Pastey, one on dictating with AI, one just generally bigging up AI. (There was no airtime for anyone saying AI is dangerous or a waste of time.)

Every single program/technique involved the same incredibly basic thing: manually or automatically copying a human or machine translation into ChatGPT fo
... See more
I've had extensive exposure to ChatGPT in the past week.

First, I watched a few talks in ProZ's AI Expo: two on CAT tools that use AI, one on free AI tools, one on ProZ's own Pastey, one on dictating with AI, one just generally bigging up AI. (There was no airtime for anyone saying AI is dangerous or a waste of time.)

Every single program/technique involved the same incredibly basic thing: manually or automatically copying a human or machine translation into ChatGPT for "improvement" and then copying back the results.

The results were predictably poor. The usual verbose, unnatural waffle that ChatGPT loves.

What surprised me was how little these programs/techniques added, apart from keystrokes and time. Why not just use ChatGPT directly if that is your thing?

One contributor proudly demonstrated how he could do a 90-minute job in less than 20 minutes with his AI-enhanced tool connected to six MT engines. Well, that was because the English translation was really poorly written. Anybody can knock out a first draft in minutes. It's the crafting that takes the time. Has translation really sunk this low?

Anyway, in the interests of fairness, I tried ChatGPT myself today. I'd been asked to write a short speech in English for an event tonight based on a few bullet points in Danish. So I ran it through ChatGPT with the exact same instructions I'd been given. Surely this would be perfect fodder for AI given that it's "all about the prompts".

ChatGPT is clever to a point and did what was asked, but unfortunately it also made up a load of stuff and added the usual unnecessary verbiage, and the writing was all completely OTT and unusable. I tried editing it down, but ended up binning it and starting again from scratch, ending up with something a quarter of the length.

The client's reaction was also a little OTT: "WOW - you are just a genius!"

But why is ProZ not making that point? WE are the genius. WE are the intelligence. Why is ProZ not representing US and promoting OUR interests?

ChatGPT rewrites are only of any value to those who don't recognise bad writing, and it's very sad if they make up the bulk of ProZ's membership and/or our profession.
Collapse

Elizabeth Gomes
ibz
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Sarah Elizabeth
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Improved version Mar 12

Sorry, that rant was almost ChatGPT essay length. So I just asked ChatGPT: "Please improve the grammar and syntax and style of the following text and make it half the length:"

And here is the "improved" version. QED.

In the past week, I immersed myself in ChatGPT. Initially, I attended talks at ProZ's AI Expo covering various topics like CAT tools utilizing AI, free AI tools, ProZ's Pastey, dictating with AI, and overall advocacy for AI. Surprisingly, there was no dissenting voice against AI.

Each program or technique essentially revolved around the same concept: inputting a human or machine translation into ChatGPT for "improvement" and then retrieving the results. However, the outcomes were consistently subpar, laden with verbose and unnatural language favored by ChatGPT.

What struck me was the minimal value these methods added, merely consuming time and keystrokes. Why not utilize ChatGPT directly if that's the preference?

One presenter proudly showcased completing a 90-minute task in under 20 minutes using an AI-enhanced tool linked to six MT engines. Yet, this efficiency stemmed from a poorly written English translation, highlighting a decline in translation quality.

Seeking fairness, I experimented with ChatGPT myself. Tasked with drafting a speech in English from Danish bullet points for an event, I provided ChatGPT with the same instructions. However, while it complied, the output was excessively verbose and unusable, necessitating a complete rewrite.

Despite the client's exaggerated praise, I couldn't help but question why ProZ fails to champion human intelligence. ChatGPT rewrites only benefit those unable to discern poor writing, a concerning trend if prevalent among ProZ's membership and our profession.

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Thanks Mar 13

Not wishing to appear mean-spirited to the ProZ staff, let me add my own thanks to those of other contributors, now that ProZ has finally seen the light and removed the ChatGPT blight from KudoZ.

All that remains is to delete its profile, and we can put this unfortunate incident behind us.

ibz
Christopher Schröder
Fabio Descalzi
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Those who can, do; those who can't, get help from AI Mar 13

Christopher Schröder wrote:

ChatGPT rewrites are only of any value to those who don't recognise bad writing

This is spot on. I hadn't really thought about this aspect before, because I tend to assume that anybody who's working professionally as a translator will know how to write well.

But if that's not the case, then I could see how people whose writing skills are below par could find it useful to seek assistance from language machines like ChatGPT.

I mean for producing a final text. I use MT myself to speed up the process of generating a rough first draft, but as others have already commented, the real work comes later, and for that AI is no help at all.

Anyone who doubts that only has to compare Chris's original post with the flat and lifeless "Improved" version.

Those adjectives just gave me an idea for a new jargon term:

"roadkill" - a creatively written text that has been "improved" by AI.

[Edited to add image]

[Edited at 2024-03-13 08:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-13 08:41 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Sarah Elizabeth
ibz
Christopher Schröder
Fabio Descalzi
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread, thank you Mar 13

Once again, thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. The ChatGPT profile will stay in place for reference. Thank you for pointing to you own past post, Philip, but staff reads and takes into account everyone's opinions and suggestions.

In response to your question, Christopher, I believe Henry explained it very clearly back in October. ProZ.com does not promote ChatGPT. ProZ.com understands and acknowledges that AI is already here and plenty of clients and professionals are us
... See more
Once again, thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. The ChatGPT profile will stay in place for reference. Thank you for pointing to you own past post, Philip, but staff reads and takes into account everyone's opinions and suggestions.

In response to your question, Christopher, I believe Henry explained it very clearly back in October. ProZ.com does not promote ChatGPT. ProZ.com understands and acknowledges that AI is already here and plenty of clients and professionals are using it whether you, me or whoever likes it or not. We do our best to enable language professionals to leverage AI and not stay behind (or out!) That's all.

I have edited the title of this thread to reflect the outcome as it is usually done in threads with staff intervention. I was hoping to get some feedback, maybe a few constructive ideas, from the stats shared in my previous post, but I guess this is all for now. (Feel free to reach out privately if you have any suggestions though, [email protected])

Discussion around AI, how it is used, how it could be used, and its weaknesses is interesting for many (myself included!). So please feel free to open a new thread in the AI for translators and interpreters forum if you feel this discussion should continue. As for this thread, since a resolution has been shared already, I'm locking it in line with forum rule 4 before it goes completely off-topic.

Thanks again, have a nice week.

Lucia
Collapse

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please remove ChatGPT option from KudoZ (Staff: removed)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »