dokupartner: Is it safe to accept an offer from them?
מפרסם התגובה: Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
דנמרק
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לנורבגית שפת הספר (בוקמול)
+ ...
Oct 1

I have received a job offer from the agency dokupartner (http://www.dokupartner.de) for a 22,000 word manual, but I don't find them registered on ProZ, and no entres on Blue Board. Is there anyone who has been in touch with them and know if they are a serious agency or if this may be a case of fraud?
Their contact person is Cristina Schmidt.

[Edited at 2026-10-01 09:35 GMT]


 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
בלגיה
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2020)
מצרפתית להולנדית
+ ...
Depends Oct 1

The website "www.dokupartner.de" seems to be legit. But there's also "www.dokupartner.online" and that's probably a scam website, at least according to Gemini.

What email address did they use?


 
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
דנמרק
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לנורבגית שפת הספר (בוקמול)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
email seems legit Oct 1

Büro Nord
Büro Süd
Christoph-Probst-Weg 4
Föhrenweg 19
20251 Hamburg
91785 Pleinfeld

Tel.: +49-40-611 35 300
Tel.: +49-9144-92 71 31

E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.dokupartner.de
Inhaber: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Fischer

The person cont
... See more
Büro Nord
Büro Süd
Christoph-Probst-Weg 4
Föhrenweg 19
20251 Hamburg
91785 Pleinfeld

Tel.: +49-40-611 35 300
Tel.: +49-9144-92 71 31

E-Mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.dokupartner.de
Inhaber: Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Fischer

The person contacting me, was Cristina Schmidt with the email [email protected]
At least she is not using gmail.com as email.
▲ Collapse


Lieven Malaise
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
פורטוגל
Local time: 22:04
חבר (2007)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
@Roy Oct 1

A 22,000-word project as your first job for an agency you’ve never worked with before? It really does sound like a scam. I did a search using the name of your contact and the agency’s name, and it came up with zero answers. If I were you, I’d send an email to the agency asking if ‘she’ actually works there…

And yet

Website: OK
Address: OK
Telephone: OK
Email: OK

Maybe it's legit...


[Edited at 2026-10-01 11:18 GMT]


expressisverbis
Thayenga
Zea_Mays
Véronique Vanseveren
Philip Lees
 
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
דנמרק
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לנורבגית שפת הספר (בוקמול)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 1

Thank you for the suggestion.

 
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
גרמניה
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2009)
מאנגלית לגרמנית
+ ...
Always check Oct 1

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

If I were you, I’d send an email to the agency asking if ‘she’ actually works there…



[Edited at 2026-10-01 11:18 GMT]


When you're in doubt, just follow 'Teresa's advice. This is what I have been doing when in doubt. Sometimes the person does work there, sometime s/he doesn't. Better safe than sorry.


Roy Oestensen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
 
Gregor Trebec
Gregor Trebec
סלובניה
Local time: 23:04
מאנגלית לסלובנית
+ ...
when in doubt, C4 Oct 1

It looks legit. She is using company's email. BUT 20.000 words as first assignement sounds realy strange, if not desperate.

 
Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
שוודיה
Local time: 23:04
מגרמנית לשוודית
+ ...
Phone Oct 1

The old-fashioned way to confirm someone's identity is to phone them via the company switchboard or a phone number provided on the company's website (NOT whatever is given in the e-mail).

The company can still turn out to be a non-payer, but a lot of obvious scams are filtered out.

And look up the company financials - they will be published somewhere.

I'd definitely do both if 22,000 words from a new client are involved.


Daryo
Zea_Mays
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
סין
Local time: 05:04
חבר (2016)
מאנגלית לסינית
+ ...
Ask for prepayment Oct 2

My suggestion is to ask for prepayment and staged payments as you submit parts of the translation. That way, you can be somewhat sure it's not a scam — especially if they're willing to pay in advance.

Joakim Braun
Gregor Trebec
Daryo
Thayenga
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
פורטוגל
Local time: 22:04
חבר (2007)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
@Roy Oct 4

Please let us know what the result was...

writeaway
 
Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
דנמרק
Local time: 23:04
חבר (2010)
מאנגלית לנורבגית שפת הספר (בוקמול)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for good suggestions Oct 4

Greetings to all.

Thank you for good suggestions. I especially liked the suggestion of prepayment when it is a new client and everything otherwise seems fine, especially if the client is not registered on ProZ, and there is no post on Blue Board, like in this instance.

I have not heard more from them, probably because I asked for an extension of the deadline. They wanted the translation back within 2 weeks, which were a little too tight for me, so I don't expect any mor
... See more
Greetings to all.

Thank you for good suggestions. I especially liked the suggestion of prepayment when it is a new client and everything otherwise seems fine, especially if the client is not registered on ProZ, and there is no post on Blue Board, like in this instance.

I have not heard more from them, probably because I asked for an extension of the deadline. They wanted the translation back within 2 weeks, which were a little too tight for me, so I don't expect any more communication with them.
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

מנהלי פורום זה
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dokupartner: Is it safe to accept an offer from them?







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Draftsmith
Edit Translations Faster With Affordable AI You Can Trust

Draftsmith is an affordable AI editing tool for busy translators. It works directly in Microsoft Word, supporting the way you work ProZ members receive a 20% discount on a single user subscription of Draftsmith.

More info »