LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
Verenigde Staten
Local time: 15:52
Lid 2008
Kroatisch naar Engels
+ ...
Only when traveling - then I use an iPad Oct 24, 2012

To view a pdf source file for reference when traveling, I use my iPad, by downloading the file to my computer, adding it to iBooks in iTunes, and viewing on the iPad. If there is no printer handy, this works very well, and the ability to quickly scroll or zoom on the iPad makes the process easier.
I also have both Kindle and Nook e-readers, and find the quality of the pdf reader and screen size to be inferior to the iPad for pdf viewing.

In the office, I split my large monito
... See more
To view a pdf source file for reference when traveling, I use my iPad, by downloading the file to my computer, adding it to iBooks in iTunes, and viewing on the iPad. If there is no printer handy, this works very well, and the ability to quickly scroll or zoom on the iPad makes the process easier.
I also have both Kindle and Nook e-readers, and find the quality of the pdf reader and screen size to be inferior to the iPad for pdf viewing.

In the office, I split my large monitor or use paper.
Collapse

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
a laser printer Oct 24, 2012

a laser printer instead of ink-"propelled" would save your money. it is much less expensive in terms of price per page.
and e-readers - yes, they're nice and easy to read from. but proofreading and editins - not realistic, IMO.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Nederland
Local time: 22:52
Lid 2006
Engels naar Afrikaans
+ ...
Laser printer Oct 24, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
This consumes huge amounts of paper and ink, which is environmentally unfriendly and the ink in particular is very expensive.

"Environmentally unfriendly"... pfft.

As for the cost of the ink, what kind of printer do you have? I have two printers, namely a colour inkjet printer and a black-and-white laser printer. I'm not sure if colour laser printers are still very expensive, but black-and-white laser printers aren't that expensive, and they are faster and they produce printing that is easier on the eye and their ink costs are much, much less (unless things have changed and I haven't noticed). Oh, and they don't make a noise.

The one I have looks very similar to this one.

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Nederland
Local time: 22:52
Nederlands naar Engels
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Environmental friendliness Oct 24, 2012

@Samuel: You don't believe that saving on paper and ink is good for the environment? Anyway, my OP was 3 years ago; I've 'trained myself' to edit my work on-screen now and barely use my printer.

Olly

Pagina's in het onderwerp:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(en) van dit forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-readers instead of paper

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »