Dell inspiron N5010 or Packard Bell TM89?
Thread poster: lettirulz
lettirulz
lettirulz
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
Sep 7, 2010

both have the Intel core i3 processor, both have 320gb hard drive and 3gb memor, both similar priced.
i need a new laptop for uni and ive narrowed it down to these two, can anyone tell me which is better? the packard bell comes with photoshop which is a plus but not a necessity i'd rather get the best laptop which is gonna last me a long time.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Can you see the machines running? Sep 7, 2010

The performance will not differ much, if the chipset and other parameter as graphics card and memory are similar. So pay attention to the screen - take the one with better resolution, but provided it brings you better picture in real life.
TBH I would never ever again buy a Dell and I also would not buy a Packard Bell.
Have you looked at Toshiba or Sony? Even those have laptops for not so much money, but their quality is far superior to the others on the market. On top Sony is offeri
... See more
The performance will not differ much, if the chipset and other parameter as graphics card and memory are similar. So pay attention to the screen - take the one with better resolution, but provided it brings you better picture in real life.
TBH I would never ever again buy a Dell and I also would not buy a Packard Bell.
Have you looked at Toshiba or Sony? Even those have laptops for not so much money, but their quality is far superior to the others on the market. On top Sony is offering 10% off for students in Germany. They also have an outlet store, where you can buy a laptop (refurbished, but with full warranty) with 20-50% off.
When you buy look for Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. This should be 64 bit software.
Look also which software (security, productivity) is included or can be purchased at a reduced price.

From my personal experience with laptops in the last years the best brand was always Vaio.
Collapse

lettirulz
lettirulz
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
toshiba or sony Sep 7, 2010

i haven't looked at any other brands really apart from acer but ive been put off that since i have a few friends who's acers have died on them only a year after they bought them.
i was mainly looking for laptops with the i3 processor which i have heard is the best and fastest processor in my price range? correct me if im wrong! the toshiba and sony laptops with the i3 are slightly out of my price range, however if you think i will get a much better laptop that will last me much longer and
... See more
i haven't looked at any other brands really apart from acer but ive been put off that since i have a few friends who's acers have died on them only a year after they bought them.
i was mainly looking for laptops with the i3 processor which i have heard is the best and fastest processor in my price range? correct me if im wrong! the toshiba and sony laptops with the i3 are slightly out of my price range, however if you think i will get a much better laptop that will last me much longer and give me better value for money then i am willing to pay more?
i have looked at:
TOSHIBA Satellite T230-10J
TOSHIBA Satellite L655-11G
SONY Vaio VPCEA1S1E/P.CEK which is 200 pounds out my price range but is it worth it?
or there are other cheaper ones but without the i3? is it worth to get a better model without the i3?
thanks and sorry for all the questions! i'm looking on pcworld.co.uk because thats where i want to buy my laptop from.
Collapse

lettirulz
lettirulz
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
also.. Sep 7, 2010

i looked at the dell and packard bell which are my original choices and only the packard bell seems to be 64 bit windows 7, is this correct? and if so should i choose this laptop over the dell if i was to go back to my original choices?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would chose PB over Dell Sep 7, 2010

if I would have only that choice, I would chose Packard Bell.

I do not know your budget, but you are looking for a 14 inches laptop for a young lady as far as I can see that
The Vaio you mention is aroung 900 EUR here.
But if you look here http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series you can find E series lap
... See more
if I would have only that choice, I would chose Packard Bell.

I do not know your budget, but you are looking for a 14 inches laptop for a young lady as far as I can see that
But if you look here http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series you can find E series laptops starting from 599 pounds.
For example this one: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series/vpceb2m0e-wi
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Resolution... Sep 7, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Both proposed models have a 1366x768 screen.
This resolution is far too low for all modern CAT tools, they need huge screens to display the crazy amount of data the translator needs (suggestions from translation memories and termbases, a sound number of segments, preview etc.).
IMO you should search for 1440x900, 1600x900, 1400x1050, 1680x1050 or even greater.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Resolution revisited... Sep 7, 2010

Fully agreed with Grzegorz.
However, in that price segment a good screen with a decent resolution will hardly be available.
This is why my favourite is Vaio - of course more expensive. But Sony Vaio screens are IMHO the best on the market.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:28
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
How about Dell Vostro? Sep 7, 2010

In my opinion, you'll get the most for your money with the Dell Vostro 17" model.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/vostro-3700?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=2

A smaller screen makes it rather hard to work with Trados Studio and other similar programs.

Rossinka
Rossinka
Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Sony Vaio Sep 7, 2010

you will enjoi it all the time and in all aspects.

PS Now I'm at my second Sony notebbok.

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Samsung Sep 8, 2010

I've worked on my Samsung E172 8 hours a day for the last two years and it's never missed a beat. If screen resolution is an issue, you can always hook up an external monitor - a much more ergonomic solution in any case.
A selection of Samsung
... See more
I've worked on my Samsung E172 8 hours a day for the last two years and it's never missed a beat. If screen resolution is an issue, you can always hook up an external monitor - a much more ergonomic solution in any case.
A selection of Samsung I3 laptops can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=samsung%20i3&x=0&y=0

My preferred option would be:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-notebook-i3-330M-500Gb-Premium/dp/B003EJR660/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1283905827&sr=8-1

[Edited at 2010-09-08 00:35 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Wasting time... Sep 8, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Well, I don't look like a young lady but I would happily get one of these notebooks
But not necessarily a pink one

I think it's worth of it if you can afford it.
This notebook meets all the initial criteria and adds a good portability (14 inches) and a good screen resolution (1600x900).

Probably you will use this notebook during 3 or 4 years and the time you'll waste because of the poor screen resolution will cost you far more than 100 or 150 euro.

E.g. now, I'm on a semi-holiday, I use my smallest 1024x768 notebook and I see I'm noticeably slower than with my habitual big 1920x1200.
Every time I must switch between windows, I loose some seconds.
After one year spent front of a poor screen, you may loose hours and days.

PS
Recently a friend of mine bought two docking stations (for home and office use) 'cause I calculated every year he looses more than two working days just plugging and unplugging cables of his notebook (power, Ethernet, external keyboard, mouse, headset and some USB crap).
I assumed 1 minute x 4 times daily and a 8 hour work day.
Seriously
A similar calculation applies to unnecessary clicks in Trados

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Portability, productivity, quality Sep 8, 2010

When we are already at that: for portability, productivity and quality you have to put your hand very much deeper into your pocket, you will namely need to spend more than twice as much as initialy foreseen.
However, if you need a portable, high-quality and productive tool, the non-plus-ultra for me would be the Z-Series from Vaio for me. A 13-inches machine with a full HD resolution, up to i7 processor and flash-drive or classical HDD. Eve a blue-ray writer is available. But in the max. c
... See more
When we are already at that: for portability, productivity and quality you have to put your hand very much deeper into your pocket, you will namely need to spend more than twice as much as initialy foreseen.
However, if you need a portable, high-quality and productive tool, the non-plus-ultra for me would be the Z-Series from Vaio for me. A 13-inches machine with a full HD resolution, up to i7 processor and flash-drive or classical HDD. Eve a blue-ray writer is available. But in the max. configuration with flash HDD and blue-ray it comes far above 3,000 Euro...
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Think parallel :) Sep 9, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

However, if you need a portable, high-quality and productive tool, (...) but in the max. configuration with flash HDD and blue-ray it comes far above 3,000 Euro...

Well, I paid almost 3,000 euro for my IBM/Lenovo T61p and I don't regret it.
But honestly speaking, the PLN/EUR exchange rate was very advantageous 3 years ago
In fact, as I'm getting older, I'm getting lazier and I don't bother.
Even my 7 (?) years old Pentium IV (with three 1600x1200 screens and a lot of RAM, of course) basically meets my expectations for interactive work in most modern CAT tools, except Trados Studio, of course.
The real problem is not the hardware but a the software and the way you use it.
If I need more power, I simply run parallel tasks on my workhorses.

BTW, as I need now some small and portable notebook, mainly for e-mail and very basic operations, I'll probably buy a cheap old second hand IBM X60 or X61 for approx. 250 euro.
Still better than most netbooks.

Cheers
GG

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:28
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Acer Sep 16, 2010

I think that the best price-to-quality ratio is to buy an "Acer" computer. I myself "risked" to experiment buying one. Previously had those "well-established" brands...And compared to DELL, HP, Toshiba, etc., Acers are cheaper by some 30-40 per cent...And they do have a huge product line to chose from.

I personally think that we should not spend too much on a computer which is a thing that gets old in 2-3 years. And there is no much reason to pay just for these "smart names" which,
... See more
I think that the best price-to-quality ratio is to buy an "Acer" computer. I myself "risked" to experiment buying one. Previously had those "well-established" brands...And compared to DELL, HP, Toshiba, etc., Acers are cheaper by some 30-40 per cent...And they do have a huge product line to chose from.

I personally think that we should not spend too much on a computer which is a thing that gets old in 2-3 years. And there is no much reason to pay just for these "smart names" which, all in all, are made in the same place

Also, HDD size is the thing which shall bother one the least...It shall be enough for the OS, Office and some space for the basic info...Best is to buy an external portable HDD and one can my as many as needed Let alone that the safety of the info is much bigger when it is on an external source...
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:28
English to Spanish
64-bit Windows? Hmm.... I am not too sure Sep 17, 2010

Lettirulz,

Before taking the plunge to buying a 64-bit system, make sure that every single device you will want to install on your laptop in the future has a driver for 64-bit Windows.

64-bit Windows is not like the 32-bit version of Windows, the popular version. All applications and devices sold for Windows computers have drivers for 32-bit Windows, or this version of Windows provides it, simply because it is the popular version, but that is not the case with 64-bit Wi
... See more
Lettirulz,

Before taking the plunge to buying a 64-bit system, make sure that every single device you will want to install on your laptop in the future has a driver for 64-bit Windows.

64-bit Windows is not like the 32-bit version of Windows, the popular version. All applications and devices sold for Windows computers have drivers for 32-bit Windows, or this version of Windows provides it, simply because it is the popular version, but that is not the case with 64-bit Windows.

It is a well known fact that numerous devices do not come with drivers for 64-bit Windows and this version of Windows does not provide them.

You have to be cautious.

Good luck,

Miguel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »