Suzanne Deveson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:52
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 19, 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a decision I'm trying to make.

I'm still working with Trados 2006 (on XP, with Office 2003). Because I had to go on a course to learn to use Trados 2006 at the time, I was really hesitant about upgrading and have even put off buying a new PC for that reason (as it would mean having to upgrade to a newer version of Trados). My biggest client is also still working with the 2006 version (and/or Wordfast) and my secon
... See more
Hi,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a decision I'm trying to make.

I'm still working with Trados 2006 (on XP, with Office 2003). Because I had to go on a course to learn to use Trados 2006 at the time, I was really hesitant about upgrading and have even put off buying a new PC for that reason (as it would mean having to upgrade to a newer version of Trados). My biggest client is also still working with the 2006 version (and/or Wordfast) and my second-biggest client has changed over to Trados 2009 and sends me ttx files, which I can translate using TagEditor.

At the moment, everything is still working fine, but I'm worried about being left behind as the support for 2006 is being discontinued and I may well need a new PC next year, which means having to upgrade to either Trados (at the full price) or perhaps a different tool like MemoQ, but I read that you have to presegment ttx files first in that case.

What do you think. Is Studio 2011 very difficult to master without going on a course and is it an improvement on 2006? If I upgrade before the end of the year I get Studio 2011 and Trados 2007 at a discount of 20%

I would really welcome your opinions.

Thanks!
Collapse

Joanna Rączka
Joanna Rączka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados 2006 not supported as of 1 January. Dec 19, 2011

This means you can upgrade your Trados only until the year end. After 31 December the upgrade will not be more expensive - it will be impossible.

Trados 2009/2011 is entirely different than the version you have. It has many new features and I would say it is more comfortable to work with - the vertical editor is much more natural, you can see the whole context, not just the segment translated.

It is not difficult to learn, you do not need to take a course, though you w
... See more
This means you can upgrade your Trados only until the year end. After 31 December the upgrade will not be more expensive - it will be impossible.

Trados 2009/2011 is entirely different than the version you have. It has many new features and I would say it is more comfortable to work with - the vertical editor is much more natural, you can see the whole context, not just the segment translated.

It is not difficult to learn, you do not need to take a course, though you will need to use the help or a tutorial at the beginning. A good handbook would be great (there is a perfect one in Polish - by our Proz.com collegue Jerzy Czopik, unfortunately not available in other languages), but the company manuals and tutorials are quite helpful. The last thing I would worry is the learning - you just need to sit and start working with the new tool and when there is something you do not know how to do, look up in the help or a handbook.

I would buy it know, when you still can buy it a discount price. You will probably need it sooner or later (unless you decide to switch to another CAT tool). I have also taken advantage of this promotion and bought Trados Studio 2011 even though my Trados Studio 2009 was quite OK.
Collapse

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about the bugs and problems with crashing? Dec 20, 2011

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for your reply. The other reason I'm hesitant is that there have been so many problems with all of the versions. I've experienced quite a few myself and I read some posts about people who are far from happy with the 2009 and 2011 versions (full of bugs and crashing a lot). Are you not experiencing any of those problems?

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 07:52
English to German
+ ...
Trados 2011 is not useful at the moment Jan 8, 2012

You can buy Trados 2011, but I would recommend against working with it, you should use 2009 instead.
Trados 2011 is still quite unstable (crashes two times a day at least for me, especially while resizing segments), and it does not have an auto save function, so every time it crashes you lose a significant amount of work. (You usually have most of the work in the TM, but it's still a pain to go through all those segments again)
It is inexplicably to me how SDL can be so stupid as to
... See more
You can buy Trados 2011, but I would recommend against working with it, you should use 2009 instead.
Trados 2011 is still quite unstable (crashes two times a day at least for me, especially while resizing segments), and it does not have an auto save function, so every time it crashes you lose a significant amount of work. (You usually have most of the work in the TM, but it's still a pain to go through all those segments again)
It is inexplicably to me how SDL can be so stupid as to omit the basic, vital function of auto save. It is like building a car without brakes, ESPECIALLY considering that its products are never stable when they come out.

Trados 2009 is far more stable (after 2 service packs!) then 2011, so if you buy 2011, you should use 2009 (I think it's included). 2009 doesn't have auto save either, but you will lose work far less frequently.
If 2009 is not included in the 2011 package, DON'T buy Trados 2011.

The instability combined with the lack of auto save render it effectively useless - you will end up being less productive than with Trados 2006 and even the crappy Tageditor.
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados 2011 is one of the best, most sophisticated CAT tools on the market Jan 8, 2012

Dear Suzanne,

I have been using CAT tools since 2002, so I have got a quite solid basis of comparison. I do think Trados Studio 2011 is a really good and effective tool for translation. It surely has got its limitations, but I am convinced that it does not deserve the continuous bashings it gets on Proz forums.

Best regards,

Gyula

[Módosítva: 2012-01-08 16:21 GMT]

Suzanne Deveson
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bought the upgrade but haven't installed it yet Jan 8, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies and for sharing your experiences. I've bought the upgrade because otherwise, if my clients did require me to use Studio (which they probably will eventually), I'd have to pay the full amount.

Studio 2009 is not included in this upgrade, but SDL Trados 2007 is. I haven't downloaded and installed either version yet. I expect 2007 should not be such a problem to get used to (is it?), but I'll wait with 2011 until I've done so
... See more
Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your replies and for sharing your experiences. I've bought the upgrade because otherwise, if my clients did require me to use Studio (which they probably will eventually), I'd have to pay the full amount.

Studio 2009 is not included in this upgrade, but SDL Trados 2007 is. I haven't downloaded and installed either version yet. I expect 2007 should not be such a problem to get used to (is it?), but I'll wait with 2011 until I've done some training and the second service pack comes out.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

[Edited at 2012-01-09 08:15 GMT]
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
2007 and 2006 Jan 9, 2012

@Suzanne,

2007 is very similar to 2006. Not sure where the differences are.

@Gyula

What about the stability of 2011? Don't you experience frequent crashes?

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
only minor problems Jan 9, 2012

Henning Holthusen wrote:

@Gyula

What about the stability of 2011? Don't you experience frequent crashes?

Dear Henning,

No doubt, I also experience seldom crashes once in a while but no bugs by far. In my opinion, Trados 2009 was far more unstable because the poor connection between Studio and the Multiterm module. Now this problem has been solved in 2011.

Regarding the lack of autosave
This is a feature of the SW you have to live with. I can accept it and work accordingly. Is it really so difficult to hit a Ctrl + S in every 20 minutes? And if you happen to forget is and the software crashes, you can retranslate your file anytime with the active TM.

Taking all of its pros and cons into consideration, Trados 2011 is the best choice for me. In the last copule of years I tested (= used more than 3 months) all of the major CAT tools on the market. I do believe that this software helps my job the most. This is an impartial opinion; I am not biased and not in love with Trados.

I think every translator should find the software which suits the most to his/her needs, clients, source files, workflow and style.

There is no such thing like "the best CAT tool ever".

Gyula

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
Crashed again... Jan 9, 2012

Studio 2011 just crashed - again - halfway through the spell check...
Which means that the all spell check edits are lost (they are not confirmed).

I frequently have significant parts of the document NOT confirmed because I make quick edits without confirming.

It's just completely silly that Studio doesn't have auto save, and if we gripe enough, SDL will implement it.

As long as they don't, I will make a point of warning any potential buyer of the lac
... See more
Studio 2011 just crashed - again - halfway through the spell check...
Which means that the all spell check edits are lost (they are not confirmed).

I frequently have significant parts of the document NOT confirmed because I make quick edits without confirming.

It's just completely silly that Studio doesn't have auto save, and if we gripe enough, SDL will implement it.

As long as they don't, I will make a point of warning any potential buyer of the lack of this simple but crucial feature.

I have also tried out quite a few CAT programs, and I think that Studio 2011 could be a fantastic tool, if not for the lack of auto save.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade from Trados 2006 to Studio 2011

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »