Dragon and technical translations
投稿者: Sara Kampman
Sara Kampman
Sara Kampman  Identity Verified
オランダ
Local time: 04:09
英語 から オランダ語
Aug 27, 2008

I'm thinking of buying Dragon Preferred (10 as soon as it is released for Dutch) and I'm trying to find out if I will be able to use it for technical translations (user manuals etc).

- Will it recognize the technical words?
- If not, will I be able to add them or do I need the Pro version for that?
- I sometimes work with Transtool which is a CAT-tool that CBG in Sweden uses. It would be great if I could use Dragon for that, does anyone have any experience with this?
... See more
I'm thinking of buying Dragon Preferred (10 as soon as it is released for Dutch) and I'm trying to find out if I will be able to use it for technical translations (user manuals etc).

- Will it recognize the technical words?
- If not, will I be able to add them or do I need the Pro version for that?
- I sometimes work with Transtool which is a CAT-tool that CBG in Sweden uses. It would be great if I could use Dragon for that, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Sara
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
英国
Local time: 03:09
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Not a problem Aug 27, 2008

Hi Sara,

I use Dragon 9 (standard) for a lot of technical translations in the nuclear/power generation fields and it copes well with the technical language. I find abbreviations are a bit of a pain, but if you're using TM software, you can insert those as placeables anyway, so it's not an issue. If it doesn't recognise a particular word, it's easy enough to train and add it for future use.

Good luck!

Claire

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
スペイン
2007に入会
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Me too, no problem either Aug 27, 2008

Hi Sara,

I also use it, for technical texts 90% of the time. Most of them related to computers.

It works great and has no problem wit language (I use it for Spanish). The program "learns" new words with the time, even "alien" words, so that recognition improves noticeably as you work with it.

For example, I just finished a translation which contained the word "Chat", just accepted recently. Dragon did not know what it was. I could have added it to the dic
... See more
Hi Sara,

I also use it, for technical texts 90% of the time. Most of them related to computers.

It works great and has no problem wit language (I use it for Spanish). The program "learns" new words with the time, even "alien" words, so that recognition improves noticeably as you work with it.

For example, I just finished a translation which contained the word "Chat", just accepted recently. Dragon did not know what it was. I could have added it to the dictionary, but I just made it "practise" the word a few times, until it caught it. Now it recognizes it without any problem.

One advice, though, which I think it's "THE" point: try to find a good microphone. I use a headset, and had to find one that allowed the microphone to stay quite close to the mouth. I have three different ones because I work on different computers, and this has been, to me, the most important factor (BTW, the one that came with the software was not good for me, sorry).

With a good micro and sound configuration, it's able to recognize "this is a supercalifragilistic computer with 3.5 keyboards and a 22" monitor"... while my 3 years-old plays football in the same room In those cases I cannot "hear" my thoughts, but the computer somehow manages to !!

Hope it helps.

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2008-08-27 17:07]
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:09
デンマーク語 から 英語
+ ...
Dragon talk Aug 28, 2008

You can get the Dragon to do anything you want by either training it to understand what you mean when you talk to add your own shortcuts, etc.

I have used Dragon for 10 years. The only problem I ran up against were my own lack of understanding of the program and its possibilities, which are endless - it will even talk back to you, if you let it.

suz

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
フランス
2002に入会
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
It's great Aug 28, 2008

I wouldn't hesitate.
The only disadvantage is that if you live with someone they might not take kindly to listening to you carefully pronouncing streams of technical jargon.
My six year old son has taken to shouting "microphone off" which he has realized is the voice command for turning Dragon off...guess it's time I got a proper office.

Sara Kampman
Sara Kampman  Identity Verified
オランダ
英語 から オランダ語
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 12, 2008

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your answers! I'm definitely going to get it. Just waiting for Version 10 in Dutch to come out...

Sara

Björn Houben
Björn Houben  Identity Verified
ベルギー
2005に入会
英語 から オランダ語
+ ...
Watch out with Vista Oct 17, 2008

Late reply, but Dragon 9/10 does not function on Vista 64 systems for now (while my old 'xp preferred' version somehow does...)

Q. Will Version 10 work with a 64-bit operating system? If not, when can we expect it?

Support for 64-bit operating systems is a common request from Dragon customers. As you know, 64-bit operating systems represent a relatively small percentage of the operating system market, but that market segment is growing rapidly. Users of 64-bit op
... See more
Late reply, but Dragon 9/10 does not function on Vista 64 systems for now (while my old 'xp preferred' version somehow does...)

Q. Will Version 10 work with a 64-bit operating system? If not, when can we expect it?

Support for 64-bit operating systems is a common request from Dragon customers. As you know, 64-bit operating systems represent a relatively small percentage of the operating system market, but that market segment is growing rapidly. Users of 64-bit operating systems know firsthand that many programs on the market do not support that operating environment at this point. Products like Dragon are especially complex to support in this kind of environment. We are committed to supporting Windows Vista 64 in the near future, but we have not announced the date yet.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Peter Zauner[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon and technical translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »