Laurent Cattin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2012

Hello,

I have just been assigned a Transit NXT project by an agency. I have been using this tool for about a year now but never had any training on it.

As the deadline on this project is very tight, the job will be split between two translators. We asked the customer if he could make two Transit projects so that each translator has his own project to work on. We were told that this was impossible because the Transit project is provided by the final customer and must be
... See more
Hello,

I have just been assigned a Transit NXT project by an agency. I have been using this tool for about a year now but never had any training on it.

As the deadline on this project is very tight, the job will be split between two translators. We asked the customer if he could make two Transit projects so that each translator has his own project to work on. We were told that this was impossible because the Transit project is provided by the final customer and must be sent back as one Transit project.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is a way in Transit NXT so that two translators work simultaneously on two different parts of the same Transit project, and then sort of « merge » their parts to end up with one project?

Other question: does Transit NXT allow the import/export of memory ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurent
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
same project Apr 2, 2012

You cannot split project if there is only one file to translate.

If there are several files, then:
1)
You can translate the same project in different folders, and both of you just will take different language pairs to translate. Say, when you open the project, there are files A, B, C and D. You take A and B and leave C and D untouched, and vice versa. After both jobs translated, just take your translated language pairs (files with extensions with languages codes like ENG
... See more
You cannot split project if there is only one file to translate.

If there are several files, then:
1)
You can translate the same project in different folders, and both of you just will take different language pairs to translate. Say, when you open the project, there are files A, B, C and D. You take A and B and leave C and D untouched, and vice versa. After both jobs translated, just take your translated language pairs (files with extensions with languages codes like ENG, FRA etc.) and copy them into the transit folder of your collegue (or he his into your folder). The whole project is then translated.

2)
If there are no separated file, agree on a segment number in the project, say - you do 1 to 5000 and he 5000 to 10000. Translate you segments and your collegue should translate his segments. After you finished, your collegue can reimport the target file with the option in pretranslation "translate only non-translated segments" and he should take your language pairs as reference material. If you're afraid, you can skip the reimport and just use the translated language pairs for fuzzy search and check each segment individually.
It's only possible if you can import and have the original files and you're allowed to import. If you only received the project with language pairs without original files, you cannot import and cannot use this option.

What do you mean with "does Transit NXT allow the import/export of memory"?
You can import language pairs as TMX.
Collapse

Gerald Dennett
Gerald Dennett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:18
German to English
+ ...
This is possible Apr 2, 2012

Hi Laurent
This is possible, but with care. You cannot share in real time (I'm assuming you are not working on the same network), but what you can do is swap the target language files at intervals, being careful when you receive your colleague's file not to overwrite your own. What you both should do is have a copy of the source language and your colleague's target language in a separate folder which you add as reference. You will then get each other's work as fuzzy matches. Of course, one
... See more
Hi Laurent
This is possible, but with care. You cannot share in real time (I'm assuming you are not working on the same network), but what you can do is swap the target language files at intervals, being careful when you receive your colleague's file not to overwrite your own. What you both should do is have a copy of the source language and your colleague's target language in a separate folder which you add as reference. You will then get each other's work as fuzzy matches. Of course, one of you will have to lead the project to assemble the final translation from your two translations. This ought to be the project manager's task. Someone also needs to work on the consistency between the two translations, but only your end customer knows how important this is.
Best wishes
Gerald
Collapse

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 3, 2012

Thank you very much Gerald and Squires for your suggestions.

@Squires: our situation matches both scenarios you mention: the project contains 2 manuals. A small manual which will be translated by one translator and a big manual which has to be split.

Squires wrote:

It's only possible if you can import and have the original files and you're allowed to import. If you only received the project with language pairs without original files, you cannot import and cannot use this option.

How can I check if I am allowed to import? I clicked the Import button in the working windows and everything the Import project window contains is clickable.

I was given by the customer 2 xml files, corresponding to the 2 manuals, as well as the prepared Transit project.

Thanks!

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not working Apr 6, 2012

I have been testing this for several days now and so far it is a complete failure.

This is what I did:

1. I asked my colleague to translate a few segments at the end of the file we are going to share and to send me the folder containing the language pair.

2. I copied this folder on my hard disk, then I opened my project in Transit NXT, clicked Settings/Reference Material/Add files. I selected my colleagues *.ENU file (the project is US EN-FR).

... See more
I have been testing this for several days now and so far it is a complete failure.

This is what I did:

1. I asked my colleague to translate a few segments at the end of the file we are going to share and to send me the folder containing the language pair.

2. I copied this folder on my hard disk, then I opened my project in Transit NXT, clicked Settings/Reference Material/Add files. I selected my colleagues *.ENU file (the project is US EN-FR).

3. I closed the project and reopened. Then I scrolled down the file and positionned the cursor on the segments that my colleague translated.

I expected that my colleague's translation would appear as fuzzy match but nothing happens.

I also tried to select the .FRA file in step 1 since it is actually this file that my colleague changed by translating a few segments, but this didn't work either.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me what I am doing that's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Laurent
Collapse

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Try TMX Apr 6, 2012

Hi Laurent,

I've no idea why this isn't working, but in such cases I fall back on TMX: just ask him to export a TMX then import it then add the rsulting language pair via Reference Material. I know it's an additional step, but it always works with me, and since you're both using Transit the segmentation should hopefully be identical.

Richard

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX export procedure? Apr 6, 2012

Thank you Richard, but I don't know how to export in TMX. I have looked for the various possible export formats but I can't see anything that looks like TMX.

Laurent

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
TMX procedure Apr 6, 2012

Hi Laurent

(In Transit NXT)
Click the Reference Material button at the bottom
TXM interface
Import TMX
Browse for the .tmx you've been sent
In Resulting language pair, make sure you add your TARGET language (.FRA ?)
to the filename you specify.

If you want to export a TMX:
TXM interface
Export TMX
Add the project or folder or files you want to include in the TM
... See more
Hi Laurent

(In Transit NXT)
TXM interface
Import TMX
Browse for the .tmx you've been sent

If you want to export a TMX:
TXM interface
Export TMX
Add the project or folder or files you want to include in the TMX
Specify the full path of the tmx file you're creating (under TMX file, browse button)
Specify source language (dropdown box, VERY IMPORTANT)
Under Export languages, click Select all (there are usually only 2)
Leave other options as they are

Hope that helps

Richard

PS: tmx files are just text files (you can open them with Notepad, Notepad ++, etc.)
I often do this when I need to quickly change "en-us" to "en-gb", for instance.
Or changing the extension of the English file also works (.ENU -> .ENG)
Collapse

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Failed... Apr 6, 2012

Thank you Richard for taking your time in trying to solve this.

I followed your procedure (asking my colleague to export the TMX file and importing it in my project) but it didn't work: Now when I open the Transit project, I see my colleague's translation but the segments I had translated into French (as a test) are back in English...

Thanks anyway

Laurent

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
TMX Apr 6, 2012

Laurent,

Your colleague can't have followed the procedure to the letter. See my previous post, in particular:

The 'Source language' dropdown box (liste déroulante) is often overlooked! But it is essential.

Also, are all his segments marked as translated???
Has he saved the relevant language
... See more
Laurent,

Your colleague can't have followed the procedure to the letter. See my previous post, in particular:

The 'Source language' dropdown box (liste déroulante) is often overlooked! But it is essential.

Also, are all his segments marked as translated???
Has he saved the relevant language pair(s)?
And are you sure BOTH your source languages are ENU (rather than ENG)?

This should work. Please keep me posted. Or e-mail me; I can always help you/him online (I can create a remote desktop sharing session and guide him step by step).

Richard
Collapse

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One thing I want to check with you Apr 6, 2012

Richard,

I am not sure what I should type in "Resulting Language Pair"? The same name as the filename that was exported with the FRA extension?

Thanks

Laurent

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Resulting language pair Apr 7, 2012

Hi Laurent,

Sorry for belated reply, I've been out.

You can name the resulting language pair as you like, the main thing is to add .FRA to the name. (The .ENU or .ENG will be created automatically, depending on which one Transit finds in the TMX).

The resulting language pair you're creating will be part of your "référentiel", so it's a good idea to remain consistent with your naming conventions (rather than necessarily keeping the other person's name for
... See more
Hi Laurent,

Sorry for belated reply, I've been out.

You can name the resulting language pair as you like, the main thing is to add .FRA to the name. (The .ENU or .ENG will be created automatically, depending on which one Transit finds in the TMX).

The resulting language pair you're creating will be part of your "référentiel", so it's a good idea to remain consistent with your naming conventions (rather than necessarily keeping the other person's name for it, since his naming conventions may be different from yours). It's up to you.

Richard
Collapse

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exact procedure Apr 9, 2012

Hi Richard,
This is the exact procedure my colleague and I are doing. I tried it twice and get the same result. Maybe you can tell me what I do that’s wrong:

Export procedure (done by my colleague)
1. I open the language pair and translate the last segment.
2. I save the language pair.
3. I click Reference Material at the bottom of the window, TMX Interface, Export TMX.
4. I click Add Folder (I have no idea what the difference is between Add files,
... See more
Hi Richard,
This is the exact procedure my colleague and I are doing. I tried it twice and get the same result. Maybe you can tell me what I do that’s wrong:

Export procedure (done by my colleague)
1. I open the language pair and translate the last segment.
2. I save the language pair.
3. I click Reference Material at the bottom of the window, TMX Interface, Export TMX.
4. I click Add Folder (I have no idea what the difference is between Add files, Add projects and Add Folder at this step).
5. I click the folder corresponding to the project (C:\Users\Public\Documents\Transit NXT\projects\projectname).
6. In the same windows, I select English (US) as a source language and I select (highlight) English (US) and French as Export languages.
7. I Specify the full path of the tmx file (under TMX file, browse button)
8. I click Start.

After my colleague sends the resulting TMX file :

1. I open the language pair (EN-FR) and translate the first segment.
2. I save the language pair and close it.
3. I click Reference Material at the bottom of the window, TMX Interface, Import TMX.
4. In TMX import file, I select the .TMX file my colleague sent.
5. In Result language pair, I type TEST.FRA (I am still not sure what I should type in this field).
6. I click Start import.
The Import progress window opens and displays "Completed successfully".
7. I click OK.
8. In the TMX import window, I click Close.
9. I click Open Language pair in the ribbon and select the document.

In the Edit window that appears, I notice that :
- The first segment that I translated is back into English. (As if the reference documents had overwritten my translation)
- The last segments that my colleague translated are translated (which is OK).
- All segments, whether they are English or French, have the status "Translated" (an asterisk in the Status column).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Laurent
Collapse

wotswot
France
Member (2011)
French to English
Replying to Laurent: TMX exchange Apr 9, 2012

Hi Laurent,

Regarding 1. Export procedure:

Explanation of Step 4:

Add Files: you just choose the language pair or pairs you want to export (because a project can contain several language pairs, not all of which may have been translated!!! - this is really up to you/your colleague to check). If I understand your problem correctly, he needs to choose the language pair(s) that he's translated (so he needs to browse to the project folder containg the said trans
... See more
Hi Laurent,

Regarding 1. Export procedure:

Explanation of Step 4:

Add Files: you just choose the language pair or pairs you want to export (because a project can contain several language pairs, not all of which may have been translated!!! - this is really up to you/your colleague to check). If I understand your problem correctly, he needs to choose the language pair(s) that he's translated (so he needs to browse to the project folder containg the said translated language pairs, and select EACH relevant file (.FRA, ENU, by clicking them while pressing Ctrl)

Add Projects: you should only use this to export the ENTIRE PROJECT (if fully translated, otherwise there's really no point!!!)

Add folder: same as Add Projects, but this depends on how your Reference Material is organized (for instance, for my client EDF, when I complete a project I COPY ALL the EDF project's language pairs to folder ...\Reference Material\EDF, so that when I next get a job for said client, I simply add said folder to the project's reference material!). I really don't know how you/your colleague organize your reference material (or even if you do!). I find it easier to maintain a separate Reference Material folder (which you can place anywhere you want, see Transit's Folder Locations settings), which saves searching for projects that may be old or hard to find, depending on how you've named them.

The Transit documentation is fairly clear in this respect. May I humbly suggest that you read it?

Regarding receipt by you of the resulting langauge pair:

I don't understand why you start by opening the language pair and translating the first segment.

If I were you, I'd start by IMPORTING THE TMX (noting the name you give it and location).

As for "5. In Result language pair, I type TEST.FRA (I am still not sure what I should type in this field).", it really doesn't matter: as I said above, just give it a name that is meaningful to you (e.g. Received From Colleague 12-04-10.FRA), so that you can easily find and identify it when you're importing it. (That's what I meant about a consisent naming convention, one that is useful not just "in the heat of the moment" but also several months/years later!).

Then ADD the resulting language pair (from above location) to your reference material.

Now you can open your language pair. With a bit of luck and fingers crossed, you should get some matches.

A tip to make sure your Reference Material is being recognized: use Dual Concordance, entering a source word/phrase you KNOW is in the said Reference Material (you can check this by opening the TMX with Notepad (=Bloc Notes)). If Dual Condordance finds one or more segments containing the source word/phrase you entered, and shows the corresponding target segment(s), and just as importantly shows the name of the file(s) you saved the language pair as (from the TMX), you can be sure your reference material is OK. Dual Concordance is a powerful tool; use it! It really helps at term (rather than segment) level.

Richard
Collapse

Laurent Cattin
France
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First segment Apr 11, 2012

Hi Richard

I don't understand why you start by opening the language pair and translating the first segment.

I am doing this as a test. What I will have to do when the translation process is over is to merge the first half of the document translated by me with the second half translated by my colleague.

At the moment each of us translates one segment to simulate the final situation when both our parts are translated.

So far my translated segment is always back into English when I import my colleague's language pair, which means that my first translated half of the project will be translated, it will be deleted when I import my colleague's translated second part.

After several days spent on this, I still haven't solved anything. I find it amazing that such a simple and basic procedure can be so complex. It is 2 clicks on SDL Trados Studio.

I tried to contact Transit technical support but they don't answer my requests.

Best regards

Laurent

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One Transit NXT project - Two translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »