Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Certified or not? Advice for newcomers please!
Thread poster: Stéphanie Denton (X)
Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
French to English
Advice in a powerpoint (USA) Mar 23, 2011

Hi everyone,
I am in a similar situation but I am starting out in the USA. This blog and powerpoint might help:
http://tandibusiness.blogspot.com/2008/01/breaking-into-industry-how-to-gain.html

It's called "Breaking into the Industry: How to Gain Experience When Employers Will Not Give You Experience Without Previous Experience" -
... See more
Hi everyone,
I am in a similar situation but I am starting out in the USA. This blog and powerpoint might help:
http://tandibusiness.blogspot.com/2008/01/breaking-into-industry-how-to-gain.html

It's called "Breaking into the Industry: How to Gain Experience When Employers Will Not Give You Experience Without Previous Experience" - sums it up nicely, doesn't it?

I am almost done with a 2-year post-graduate Certificate in Translation. After that, I will be eligible to sit the American Translators Association (ATA) certification exam. Becoming certified has always been my goal, I see it as an essential part of my career and business plan. I hope that if I pass, that will help open some doors. In the meantime, I am learning as much as I can by participating in the the ATA listservs and I am a volunteer translator for Kiva. The ATA also just re-activated its mentor program so I plan to apply to that. Does the equivalent organisation in the UK offer any kind of mentorship support?

Good luck everyone,

Sarah
Collapse

ATA certification.... Jun 7, 2012

hi
I'm new here but not new to the translation world. I have been a translator/interpreter off and on for 20 years. I'm considering getting certified with ATA because the competition is bad these days and I think that will make me stand out. anyways, the certification is $300 and the practice test is $50. I just don' thave it right now. would like to know if somone here have practice tests (englisth to spanish or vicevera) that would be so kind and share with me.

thank y
... See more
hi
I'm new here but not new to the translation world. I have been a translator/interpreter off and on for 20 years. I'm considering getting certified with ATA because the competition is bad these days and I think that will make me stand out. anyways, the certification is $300 and the practice test is $50. I just don' thave it right now. would like to know if somone here have practice tests (englisth to spanish or vicevera) that would be so kind and share with me.

thank you fo reading.
Collapse

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:15
Member (2009)
French to English
Can't share, sorry Jun 7, 2012

ATA rules prohibit the sharing of tests or practice tests. I would really recommend investing in a practice test as you will receive specific feedback on your translation. The ATA test itself only tells you whether you passed or failed and by what margin.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified or not? Advice for newcomers please!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »