Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 20:17
English to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2004

Hello all!
Thank you for all the adv., I do not know whether I have done a mistake. last posting made - http://www.proz.com/topic/21106
"despite all the insult both at cultural and personal level, an outsourcer who throws a lot of weight around proz portal, had recd. along with his colleagues, a copy of unfinished bilingual files (not proofread, or corrected, as his outsourcer urgently needed
... See more
Hello all!
Thank you for all the adv., I do not know whether I have done a mistake. last posting made - http://www.proz.com/topic/21106
"despite all the insult both at cultural and personal level, an outsourcer who throws a lot of weight around proz portal, had recd. along with his colleagues, a copy of unfinished bilingual files (not proofread, or corrected, as his outsourcer urgently needed some proof of the work being done) along with the fully converted .htm files of similar quality. Remember originally there was no PO or Workorder or timeframe. Now his colleagues did some final correction and the work is projected and as I see parts of my work being projected, whereas the outsourcer argues that his colleagues ( normally other translators) had to redo the job fully from the scratch, and hence I get no payment at all, addtionally he is totally abusive.

Apparently he is very popular and is equally credible.( Honestly I had already rejected one project on basing on reasons on personal insult).
So I had requested the outsourcer to be so fair that he sends me the fully finished site, which is being projected for a cross check, which he promptly rejects with the reasoning that he has no time at all, and that he sets his priorities.

So I ask myself, whether I did a mistake as I had trusted, did the whole work, honestly anyone who gets a bilingual file would be in a position to generate a Terminology Database, I am sure we all know this.

So I turn to you to find similar experiences, so that I can correct myself and or correct the outsourcer. He plays it difficult to reach anyway, for the fact that he didn´t react to my last mails.

Help and thank you!!
brandis
Collapse

vorloff
vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Just curious... Jun 6, 2004

...was the job into German or into English?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well into german Jun 6, 2004

Vera Orloff wrote:

...was the job into German or into English?
Hi! well into german. I did not attempt to get into further details.
brandis

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Brandis Jun 7, 2004

Brandis wrote:
... I do not know whether I have done a mistake. ... an outsourcer who throws a lot of weight around proz portal, had recd. along with his colleagues, a copy of unfinished bilingual files ....the outsourcer argues that his colleagues ( normally other translators) had to redo the job fully from the scratch, and hence I get no payment at all, addtionally he is totally abusive.

...So I had requested the outsourcer to be so fair that he sends me the fully finished site, which is being projected for a cross check, which he promptly rejects ....

So I ask myself, whether I did a mistake as I had trusted, did the whole work, honestly anyone who gets a bilingual file would be in a position to generate a Terminology Database, I am sure we all know this.

brandis

Okay, from what I can decifer from the two threads in a nutshell is that you did a job for a client and didn't get a PO. Now he's rejecting the work you've done on account of substandard quality.

What is it that you are asking? You don't know if you've made a mistake?

sylvie

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what I am transmitting!! Jun 7, 2004

sylvie malich wrote:

Brandis wrote:
... I do not know whether I have done a mistake. ... an outsourcer who throws a lot of weight around proz portal, had recd. along with his colleagues, a copy of unfinished bilingual files ....the outsourcer argues that his colleagues ( normally other translators) had to redo the job fully from the scratch, and hence I get no payment at all, addtionally he is totally abusive.

...So I had requested the outsourcer to be so fair that he sends me the fully finished site, which is being projected for a cross check, which he promptly rejects ....

brandis

Okay, from what I can decifer from the two threads in a nutshell is that you did a job for a client and didn't get a PO. Now he's rejecting the work you've done on account of substandard quality.

What is it that you are asking? You don't know if you've made a mistake?

sylvie
>Hi!what I am transmitting is, that the customer had recd. the uncontrolled files and went to another translator, and claims that my translation is not of required quality. Now when I look at the outsourcer´s website, I see my content repeated ( ofcourse, proofread, and corrected etc., ). Which means that the outsourcer went to other translator, and paid him out of my earnings. Finally the outsourcer says he is so busy, and cannot priotize my issue. Now as you see, I feel stolen. If I contact him, he gets so abusive, I feel ashamed to have done anything for this outsourcer.
Brandis

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
what I don't understand... Jun 8, 2004

Brandis wrote:

what I am transmitting is, that the customer had recd. the uncontrolled files and went to another translator, and claims that my translation is not of required quality. Brandis

why did you send unfinished files to the client? - With large jobs, it's not too unusual for a client to ask for a few files before the actual deadline. They might want to be sure that you are indeed working on the job, check on the quality of the translation or review just a few files so that they can tell you what you need to change in the remaining ones (style, terminology, etc.).

However, in that case you need to send final files (i.e. proofread and spell-checked) because these files are supposed to reflect the quality of the entire translation. I don't think it's a good idea to send preliminary files to a client in any case, they will have a look at them and draw conclusions from what they see. I mean, if a translator sends them files with typos, inconsistent translations and so on (I'm not implying that your translations contained any typos etc. but we all know that we can find quite a few them in our unfinished files...) they will jump to conclusions on your overall quality, even the final files will be perfect!

Did you make very clear to the customer that the files you send were far from being final? - They might have mistaken them for final files which they thought needed to be re-done because they were not acceptable quality-wise (as final files). - Perhaps this all comes done to a misunderstanding about the status of the files that you delivered?

Claudia

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Brandis... Jun 8, 2004

Dear,
Your profile claims 15 years of experience and your native language(s) to be English (as well as German).
Would you like to make a comment to remove my doubt?

sylvie (Truth in advertising... truth is advertising)

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is far from the topic Jun 8, 2004

sylvie malich wrote:

Dear,
Your profile claims 15 years of experience and your native language(s) to be English (as well as German).

Hi!
this is far from the topic. But yes I can, the law knows it and I am regd.
brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
because the outsourcer needed Jun 8, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

Brandis wrote:

what I am transmitting is, that the customer had recd. the uncontrolled files and went to another translator, and claims that my translation is not of required quality. Brandis

why did you send unfinished files to the client? - With large jobs, it's not too unusual for a client to ask for a few files before the actual deadline. They might want to be sure that you are indeed working on the job, check on the quality of the translation or review just a few files so that they can tell you what you need to change in the remaining ones (style, terminology, etc.).

However, in that case you need to send final files (i.e. proofread and spell-checked) because these files are supposed to reflect the quality of the entire translation. I don't think it's a good idea to send preliminary files to a client in any case, they will have a look at them and draw conclusions from what they see. I mean, if a translator sends them files with typos, inconsistent translations and so on (I'm not implying that your translations contained any typos etc. but we all know that we can find quite a few them in our unfinished files...) they will jump to conclusions on your overall quality, even the final files will be perfect!

Did you make very clear to the customer that the files you send were far from being final? - They might have mistaken them for final files which they thought needed to be re-done because they were not acceptable quality-wise (as final files). - Perhaps this all comes done to a misunderstanding about the status of the files that you delivered?

Claudia
Hi! I had to send because the outsourcer needed to see these, as his outsourcer was putting him under pressure. So I had sent the initial files, which were okayed, and he had asked for the rest, with an argument, that other translators are long finished with the work. You are talking about deadlines, as there was no PO there was no set deadlines aswell.
brandis

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
no deadline? Jun 8, 2004

Brandis wrote:
You are talking about deadlines, as there was no PO there was no set deadlines aswell.
brandis

but isn't a deadline one of the first that you ask for even if you don't receive a PO???

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 20:18
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
surely the situation was as follows Jun 8, 2004

Claudia Digel wrote:

Brandis wrote:
You are talking about deadlines, as there was no PO there was no set deadlines aswell.
brandis

but isn't a deadline one of the first that you ask for even if you don't receive a PO???
Hi! Surely I do ask for the timeframe, but the situation was as follows - Customer´s statement was " in the scope of this project there would be a range of other things to be done" hence there is no fixed deadline. I hope that answers your question.
brandis

Mandy Williams
Mandy Williams  Identity Verified
German to English
The law Jun 8, 2004

Brandis wrote:

sylvie malich wrote:

Dear,

Hi!
brandis

Brandis, WHAT does the law know?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do you wish me to send you all my documents Jun 9, 2004

MW wrote:

Brandis wrote:

sylvie malich wrote:

Dear,

Hi!
brandis

Brandis, WHAT does the law know?
Hey, we are getting off the topic. Do you wish me to send you all the documents pertaining to my person, and the rest can be had from the authorities. Would you like that?
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you for all the adv.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »