Always necessary to get a purchase order signed?
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2004

Hi all,

I am new to freelancing, so I guess that when we are dealing with direct clients we have to get a purchase order signed.

But what happens when we are dealing with an agency? Does the same rule apply?

Thanks!

Estefanía

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
I've never paid attention to purchase orders Nov 3, 2004

I've always considered purchase orders to be an excess bit of paperwork, opting instead to decide whether or not I could trust the person hiring me. I don't think I ever saw one when working in the US and I've only been stiffed twice in my whole career.

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purchase order Nov 3, 2004

Hi all,

In the event a purchase order is sent to a client (agency or not), do they have to fax it back with their signature, or will an email confirmation by which they agree to the terms of the purchase order be enough?

Thanks!

Estefania

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
P.O. or not Nov 3, 2004

Many agencies will automatically send a PO with every new job. But they do not all do this.

Two of my best client have never send me one, they are a joy to work with and pay on the dot. They told me that they do not send POs, but assign each job a work number.

This is what the Project Manager of one said: "Please refer to that number on your invoice, I will provide the work number to the financial dept., so after you send your invoice(s) to that department, they'l
... See more
Many agencies will automatically send a PO with every new job. But they do not all do this.

Two of my best client have never send me one, they are a joy to work with and pay on the dot. They told me that they do not send POs, but assign each job a work number.

This is what the Project Manager of one said: "Please refer to that number on your invoice, I will provide the work number to the financial dept., so after you send your invoice(s) to that department, they'll take good care of you.

Works like a charm. So, if I would have kept insisting that I needed a PO, who knows, perhaps I would be less two valuable clients. I don't know, maybe not, but who am I to tempt faith.

So, I agree with David Green. I also only have been stiffed twice in my career. Not a bad score, IMHO.

I would say, definitely do not ignore your guts. If it does not feel right, run the other direction. Do check out the Blue Board and keep scrupulous records.

Good luck! I wish you many, many large translation jobs.

Lucinda.

[Edited at 2004-11-04 21:03]
Collapse

E.LA
E.LA
Spanish to German
+ ...
PO important for legal matters Nov 3, 2004

Especially in Germany, if you do not have a PO, later do not see any money and you want to reclaim it officially, the first what you are asked: do you have a PO to prove that you got the order of that job?
Because you must proof clearly that you got this order.
And best is a PO. Especially from direct clients.
Climate is changing in Germany and a lot of firms start not to pay... and when you run behind the money, especially by court, then you need that.
If somebody writes
... See more
Especially in Germany, if you do not have a PO, later do not see any money and you want to reclaim it officially, the first what you are asked: do you have a PO to prove that you got the order of that job?
Because you must proof clearly that you got this order.
And best is a PO. Especially from direct clients.
Climate is changing in Germany and a lot of firms start not to pay... and when you run behind the money, especially by court, then you need that.
If somebody writes clearly in a letter: Please do this translation and you get xxx money, I do not insist in an exact PO, but you must have something written down clearly... for later legal reclaims. If you do not want to reclaim oficially, then no PO is necesary.
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 09:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
What if the legal cost is way more than the money you asking for? Nov 4, 2004

Hi everyone,
I am also new here. What puzzles me is that what if it's just a few hundred bucks that the agency refuses to pay, and unfortunately it costs thousands to go to court?
Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Always necessary to get a purchase order signed?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »