Alisha Rice
Alisha Rice  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 15:17
חבר (Jun 2024)
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
Jul 24

After previous feedback from translators, for my Spanish language pair, I set my rates as 15 cents per word. I want to ask those in the translation field if I am not getting responses back from inquiries because companies think that is too high. As it is translators are underpaid and I am not sure why the industry as a whole is not trying harder to charge higher rates. In order for us translators to be paid more, we have to demand more. I am just wondering if I am being passed up because the... See more
After previous feedback from translators, for my Spanish language pair, I set my rates as 15 cents per word. I want to ask those in the translation field if I am not getting responses back from inquiries because companies think that is too high. As it is translators are underpaid and I am not sure why the industry as a whole is not trying harder to charge higher rates. In order for us translators to be paid more, we have to demand more. I am just wondering if I am being passed up because they figure they can get someone cheaper but if someone doesn't try to make a change and charge more, nothing will ever change in the industry.Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 18:17
מגרמנית לאנגלית
Supply and demand Jul 24

I have the impression that although there is a large demand for Spanish > English translation services, there is an oversupply of talent. For a long time rates for this language pair have been well below below those for languages such as German and the Scandinavian languages. You are competing against not only professionals in your own country, but also against native speakers of English living in Latin America (potentially cheaper cost of living) and Europe, not to mention native speakers of Sp... See more
I have the impression that although there is a large demand for Spanish > English translation services, there is an oversupply of talent. For a long time rates for this language pair have been well below below those for languages such as German and the Scandinavian languages. You are competing against not only professionals in your own country, but also against native speakers of English living in Latin America (potentially cheaper cost of living) and Europe, not to mention native speakers of Spanish with an excellent knowledge of English both here and abroad, as well providers of "usable" translations who help keep rates low. Given the state of the industry, I don't think you could reasonably expect anything approaching $0.15/word from an agency; with considerable experience and subject matter expertise, you might do much better than that from a direct client.
Unfortunately you picked an inauspicious time to become active in the job market. Rates in most language combinations are flat or even declining.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Mario Chávez
philgoddard
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Charlie Bavington

Mario Chávez
Mario Chávez
ארצות הברית
חבר (Jun 2024)
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
Translation rates have been in decline for decades Jul 24

I've been a translator for +30 years. From what I've seen, these are the main causes for low or stagnant rates:

1) Unregulated activity: the bar for entry into the profession is as low as it gets (you only have to speak two or more languages). Although there are many universities offering 4- and 5-year translation degrees, many translators come to this profession from other occupations. In addition, the profession is not regulated at a national or international level, unlike doctors
... See more
I've been a translator for +30 years. From what I've seen, these are the main causes for low or stagnant rates:

1) Unregulated activity: the bar for entry into the profession is as low as it gets (you only have to speak two or more languages). Although there are many universities offering 4- and 5-year translation degrees, many translators come to this profession from other occupations. In addition, the profession is not regulated at a national or international level, unlike doctors, nurses, architects, plumbers, electricians or lawyers.
2) Globalization and the internet: we all love connecting to the web from anywhere on the planet, but that means others from smaller economies can to, and can compete against you at much lower rates. This situation does not just harms translators but other professions as well.
3) Globalization feeds speed: time-to-market has shrunk for many products and services, sometimes artificially because everybody is competing against everyone else. Blame it on consumerism on a global scale.

I don't see a respite, other than securing an in-house job with a company, not necessarily a translation agency or LSP (their salaries for project managers are abysmal) or working for long-term direct clients. It is my view that some of my well-established colleagues either work for direct clients in niche areas, and so have the luxury of charging more, or their spouses are salaried people in well-paid industries. For the rest of us, it's an uphill battle.

Alisha Rice wrote:

After previous feedback from translators, for my Spanish language pair, I set my rates as 15 cents per word. I want to ask those in the translation field if I am not getting responses back from inquiries because companies think that is too high. As it is translators are underpaid and I am not sure why the industry as a whole is not trying harder to charge higher rates. In order for us translators to be paid more, we have to demand more. I am just wondering if I am being passed up because they figure they can get someone cheaper but if someone doesn't try to make a change and charge more, nothing will ever change in the industry.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
philgoddard
Andriy Yasharov
Jorge Payan
Renée van Bijsterveld
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
Too much Jul 25

15 cents is way too much for a beginner working from Spanish, unless you are the enterprising type who can talk yourself into work from direct clients (in which case, as Kevin says, you could go quite a bit higher).

Very few agencies are willing to pay 15 cents even in my niche languages.

Joakim Braun
Zea_Mays
Matthieu Ledoré
Ester Vidal
IrinaN
Kevin Fulton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
פורטוגל
Local time: 23:17
חבר (2007)
מאנגלית לפורטוגזית
+ ...
@Alisha Jul 25

I've been translating for 40 years, have 20 years' experience as staff translator in an international organisation and only apply similar rates to direct clients for ready-to-print translations. I live in Portugal and I translate exclusively from English, French, Spanish and Italian into European Portuguese.

Barbara Carrara

IrinaN
IrinaN
ארצות הברית
Local time: 17:17
מאנגלית לרוסית
+ ...
Unrealistic Jul 25

Christopher Schröder wrote:

15 cents is way too much for a beginner working from Spanish

Running rates in SP-EN pair in the US are much closer to $.06 - $0.08 than to $.15. Could be even as low as $0.02 - $0.05, especially when EN-SP is outsourced to Latin America for the reasons of price or language variation. Sorry but specialization in idioms and poetry fields does not help in obtaining niche rates in this pair. Something like, for example, non-generic medical, IT or mechanical engineering would do much better. Literary translation pay is notoriously low. "Non-niche" legal EN-SP-EN in the US would pay $.10 on average but even that requires extensive experience, and so do direct clients in any field.

Don't mean to discourage you but if you can add your interpretation skills, then, in combination with translation it could help you to make a living until you'll gain more experience to show for yourself. Immigration, legal system, hospitals, communities - there are many applications for SP interpretation skills.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2024-07-25 11:14 GMT]

Michele Fauble

Alisha Rice
ארצות הברית
חבר (Jun 2024)
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Going rate Jul 25

So, I have a Master's degree but I am new. Is the going rate as a newbie into the industry even with a Master's degree , /10-.12 cents per word for Spanish & Portuguese? It seems so incredibly sad they pay that low.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
מגרמנית לאנגלית
I hope you didn't go into debt for your degree Jul 25

Alisha Rice wrote:

So, I have a Master's degree but I am new. Is the going rate as a newbie into the industry even with a Master's degree , /10-.12 cents per word for Spanish & Portuguese? It seems so incredibly sad they pay that low.

You'll have to work a very long time to pay your student loan off – if ever.

Jorge Payan
IrinaN

Alisha Rice
ארצות הברית
חבר (Jun 2024)
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation Rate Jul 25

I don't need advice on working a long time to pay a student loan off. My question was about the rate. I don't have any student loans from my Master's program. I was fortunate enough to have a program pay for it.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
שוודיה
Local time: 00:17
מגרמנית לשוודית
+ ...
Degree Jul 25

Alisha Rice wrote:

Is the going rate as a newbie into the industry even with a Master's degree , /10-.12 cents per word for Spanish & Portuguese?

Translation degrees don't influence translation rates.
Degrees in other subjects might (medicine, business, law).

Mario Chávez
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas
Zea_Mays

Alisha Rice
ארצות הברית
חבר (Jun 2024)
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation rates Jul 25

I am shocked because a Master's degree in Translation Studies should amount to a translator being able to charge higher rates in combination with other factors like years of experience. That's why they have degrees out there like that. I learned a great deal from receiving that degree that makes me a much more effective translator.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
שוודיה
Local time: 00:17
מגרמנית לשוודית
+ ...
But Jul 25

Alisha Rice wrote:

I learned a great deal from receiving that degree that makes me a much more effective translator.

Other translators have accumulated similar wisdom or efficacy by years of practical experience.
They may even have had long careers in a non-translation field which becomes their area of translation expertise (invaluable hands-on knowledge like that can only rarely be matched by a non-expert).

You're competing with them, as well as with a lot of people who provide "good enough" translations for a pittance.

Mario Chávez
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio
Dan Lucas

Mario Chávez
Mario Chávez
ארצות הברית
חבר (Jun 2024)
מאנגלית לספרדית
+ ...
The reality Jul 25

If you're working in the U.S. and for U.S. companies, your degree has no bearing on what rates you could charge. What counts is experience, years of it, and you are just getting started. All a diploma or a degree does is to attest that you completed coursework and finished a thesis (if applicable). Degrees say nothing about your translation competence or expertise in any given field. Classroom translation exercises do not count.

So where does a translation degree count as an
... See more
If you're working in the U.S. and for U.S. companies, your degree has no bearing on what rates you could charge. What counts is experience, years of it, and you are just getting started. All a diploma or a degree does is to attest that you completed coursework and finished a thesis (if applicable). Degrees say nothing about your translation competence or expertise in any given field. Classroom translation exercises do not count.

So where does a translation degree count as an advantage? Federal government posts, some jobs, like translator or project manager, in the private sector.

You could have a PhD in Translation but, as you are new in the profession, you couldn't charge more than $0.06-$0.10/word. Many of us started proofreading and editing translations for translation agencies, getting paid around $0.02/source word, or maybe the minimum charge. Back in the 90s, $20-25 for proofreading or editing was commonplace as the minimum charge.

Do you happen to be an ATA member, or a member of one of its local chapters? I strongly suggest you become one and approach the local chapter's members with your questions to get a better idea. Meanwhile, prospective clients will likely ignore you when you approach them with a rate as high as $0.15/source word.

MC

Alisha Rice wrote:

I am shocked because a Master's degree in Translation Studies should amount to a translator being able to charge higher rates in combination with other factors like years of experience. That's why they have degrees out there like that. I learned a great deal from receiving that degree that makes me a much more effective translator.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Joakim Braun
Jorge Payan
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
Wake-up call Jul 25

Alisha Rice wrote:

No offence but, having studied and taught on a master’s course in translation, and hired from one three times, I can tell you that the qualification itself is worth very little and does not mean you should command a higher rate. It should mean you’re in a better starting position, but even if you’ve got talent you’re still a beginner. I’m surprised those teaching on the course haven’t advised on rates.

Remember when considering potential income that you will get faster with practice.

[Edited at 2024-07-25 17:52 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Barbara Carrara
Lieven Malaise

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
הממלכה המאוחדת
חבר (2011)
משוודית לאנגלית
+ ...
So good it appeared twice Jul 25

Deleted

[Edited at 2024-07-25 17:56 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Barbara Carrara

דפים בנושא:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Rates

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »