Alisha Rice  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 05:15
חבר (Jun 2024)
מספרדית לאנגלית
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Literary Translation Jul 29

I have already been told you can't make it on literary translation alone so I haven't yet closed the deal on the publication. I am working with the author on that so I am still not aware of what the closing deal will be but I know that my percentage is 15% and whatever I decide to charge for the translation to the publishing company which I assume publishing companies are considered direct clients so I am hoping I can demand more in my rates.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
ארצות הברית
Local time: 08:15
מגרמנית לאנגלית
This should have been worked out in advance Jul 29

Alisha Rice wrote:

I have already been told you can't make it on literary translation alone so I haven't yet closed the deal on the publication. I am working with the author on that so I am still not aware of what the closing deal will be but I know that my percentage is 15% and whatever I decide to charge for the translation to the publishing company which I assume publishing companies are considered direct clients so I am hoping I can demand more in my rates.

Did the author engage you? Then he/she is your client. If the publisher engaged you, there must be a contract specifying payment. Did you consult with any of your professors on this deal? How long ago did you finish the translation? If more than a month ago you should have been paid by now.
If it turns out to be an e-book selling for $2.00, you could make pennies.
I have the feeling I'm watching a slow-motion train wreck.

[Edited at 2024-07-29 21:58 GMT]

Michele Fauble
IrinaN
Barbara Carrara
Ester Vidal
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio

דפים בנושא:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA Certification

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »