Rafael López Sánchez
Rafael López Sánchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2012

Hello Everyone!

I'm translating a transcript into spanish and this is the first time that I'm translating this kind of document. I don't have a very clear idea of how to deal with it. I have received two pages including course titles, pts, credits, etc, and also a table with equivalences. Can anybody help me?

Thank you!

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:39
English to Russian
+ ...
What kind of help do you expect? Aug 25, 2012

You can either translate everything yourself (if you are a translator) or ask a translation agency to do the job and then examine the results.

Rafael López Sánchez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doubts Aug 25, 2012

I'm a translator, but I have some doubts about this kind of document.

For example, should I keep the same format or should I adapt it?

Rafael López Sánchez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm just learning Aug 25, 2012

Thank you, Natalia. I'm just learning. That is why I cannot afford to pay for it. I just have to translate this sample educational transcript into spanish.

http://www.4eval.com/Dallas/HR/Forms/sample%20educational%20transcript-103111.pdf

I have some doubts. For example:

I don't know how to say Course Level: Undergradu
... See more
Thank you, Natalia. I'm just learning. That is why I cannot afford to pay for it. I just have to translate this sample educational transcript into spanish.

http://www.4eval.com/Dallas/HR/Forms/sample%20educational%20transcript-103111.pdf

I don't know how to say Course Level: Undergraduate, and Major in Spanish

I don't know what to do with the qualifications and pts. Should I adapt them? What kind of equivalence should I use?

I don't know how to translate the footnote. Should I translate it literally?
Collapse

JQIdiomas
JQIdiomas
Local time: 17:39
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Some suggestions to translate those academic words Aug 25, 2012

raflosa wrote:

I don't know how to say Course Level: Undergraduate, and Major in Spanish

I don't know what to do with the qualifications and pts. Should I adapt them? What kind of equivalence should I use?

I don't know how to translate the footnote. Should I translate it literally?

Answers:

Course level: nivel del curso
Undergraduate: pregrado

Major: especialidad

Hi Mr.Raflosa.I hope my reply helps you.Success.If you need help write to my email: [email protected]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Raflosa. Aug 25, 2012

In most cases you do not have to keep exactly the same format, but try to keep it as close to the original format as possible. Usually the tables have to be very similar. Please pay attention to all the names -- especially the name of the university -- it has to be the same as the name conventionally used by that university in your language. (specially in English) Then the courses have to be translated in such a way that they make sense in the target language and within the education system of t... See more
In most cases you do not have to keep exactly the same format, but try to keep it as close to the original format as possible. Usually the tables have to be very similar. Please pay attention to all the names -- especially the name of the university -- it has to be the same as the name conventionally used by that university in your language. (specially in English) Then the courses have to be translated in such a way that they make sense in the target language and within the education system of the country for which the translation is meant. They cannot be translated word for word, but rather equivalent courses found, without changing the essence of the original titles. Then if there are no credits in certain countries, credits have to be translated in such a way that the word makes sense within the educational system of that county. Everything that is filled out in the transcript has to be translated -- each word described -- even illegible words -- then you have to say that there is a word in line X which is illegible. All and every seal and stamp have to be described and the inscriptions on them properly translated. If there are some blank tables and things like that -- not entirely filled out -- you have to state that x is blank.

I hope it helps, somewhat.
Collapse

Rafael López Sánchez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Aug 25, 2012

Thank you very much, Lillian, you definitely saved my day. That is exactly what I needeed.

Rafael López Sánchez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Footnote Aug 26, 2012

Can you help me with the footnote? Should I translate it literally?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AN OFFICIAL SIGNATURE IS WHITE WITH AN ORANGE BACKGROUND | REJECT DOCUMENT IF SIGNATURE BELOW 15 DISTORTED

This officially sealed and signed transcript is printed onorange SCRIP-SAFE (r) security paper with the name of the University (...) A black and white or color copy shoul
... See more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AN OFFICIAL SIGNATURE IS WHITE WITH AN ORANGE BACKGROUND | REJECT DOCUMENT IF SIGNATURE BELOW 15 DISTORTED

This officially sealed and signed transcript is printed onorange SCRIP-SAFE (r) security paper with the name of the University (...) A black and white or color copy should not be accepted. To verify: Translucent globe icons must be visible when held toward a light source.

Thanks once again!
Collapse

Rose Marie Matei (X)
Rose Marie Matei (X)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Hi, Aug 26, 2012

I am have translated many transcripts over the years, mostly from Romanian and into French or English.
I usually keep the format ( I scan the original, especially when there are credits and grades, there are so many numbers, so it's a lot easier) . I never translate literally footnotes or other explanations: I think it's far more important to make sure others understand the meaning and the educational process in the native country than just translating word by word.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Ralfosa. Aug 26, 2012

raflosa wrote:

This officially sealed and signed transcript is printed onorange SCRIP-SAFE (r) security paper with the name of the University (...) A black and white or color copy should not be accepted. To verify: Translucent globe icons must be visible when held toward a light source.

Thanks once again!

You definitely have to translate the footnotes and place them more or less where they are in the original.
You have to just accurately translate what the footnote says. Footnotes are very important in document translation -- they may help the institution to spot illegal copies of transcripts or other documents. The form, yes, I think you should keep as close to the original as possible, but accuracy and clarity are more important.

[Edited at 2012-08-26 07:57 GMT]

Rafael López Sánchez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Aug 26, 2012

Thank you Lillian, your answer solves my problem!

Claus Sprick
Claus Sprick  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
typo or OCR-mistake? Aug 26, 2012

IF SIGNATURE BELOW 15 DISTORTED

should read

IF SIGNATURE BELOW *IS* DISTORTED

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

University transcript translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »