Angela Masella
Angela Masella  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2021

Hi everyone,

I have done a bit of resource on this topic, but I have not found a coherent answer.
I hold a MA in Translation studies, therefore I am a qualified translator when it comes to certify my own translations for the UK. I am aware though that some institutional bodies in the UK, such as the Home Office, do not accept a self-certification by the translator themselves - would this only be the case for sworn or apostilled translations, but not certified ones?

... See more
Hi everyone,

I have done a bit of resource on this topic, but I have not found a coherent answer.
I hold a MA in Translation studies, therefore I am a qualified translator when it comes to certify my own translations for the UK. I am aware though that some institutional bodies in the UK, such as the Home Office, do not accept a self-certification by the translator themselves - would this only be the case for sworn or apostilled translations, but not certified ones?

And another questions for Italian translators, when translating a certificate into Italian, is again a self-certification ok for Italy, or would a translator need to be on consular and embassy lists for their translation to be accepted by Italian institutions?

Thank you so much in advance.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 7, 2021

I suggest you contact the Home Office or, if there is a national translators' organisation in the UK, contact their office.

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:59
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Court or notarius publicus Jun 9, 2021

Normally, a translation can be sworn for free at a court or for a huge cost at a notarius. In both cases, you must pay a stamp fee (at present 16 euro for each set of 4 pages and fractions thereof).
There are no official translators lists, but each court has its requirement, so ideally everybody can swear, if the court accepts it. Though, most courts require now that you are enrolled by them.
And - next problem - some Italian institutions require the translation to be stamped by an I
... See more
Normally, a translation can be sworn for free at a court or for a huge cost at a notarius. In both cases, you must pay a stamp fee (at present 16 euro for each set of 4 pages and fractions thereof).
There are no official translators lists, but each court has its requirement, so ideally everybody can swear, if the court accepts it. Though, most courts require now that you are enrolled by them.
And - next problem - some Italian institutions require the translation to be stamped by an Italian consulate (it has happened me, despite I've been registered at the local court from 1990!)
To sum up: ask the receiving institution what it exactly wants!

[Edited at 2021-06-09 19:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to certify translations EN > IT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »